Sonic Space: Albums of Summer

By Maya Poddar, The Dartmouth Senior Staff | 9/21/15 7:11am

I’ve seen at least two articles and one BuzzFeed poll about the song of the summer in the past two weeks. Now that September is upon us, everyone seems to be looking back with nostalgia to the summer and it’s song.

“Drug for the Modern Age” (Kopecky): I’ve loved Kopecky since they were the Kopecky Family Band, and the new album reflects the growth in the band’s style. The new album still takes advantage of the band’s size and range of musical and vocal tools, but the focus has moved to the energy of the songs. You’ll still find beautifully composed, complex layers of instrumentation, but now the lyrics take charge. While I loved the slow build and simple structure of “Disaster” from their first EP, “Drug for the Modern Age” (2015) is more polished and more widely palatable. My favorite tracks on the album are “Real Life” and “Natural Selection.”

“Déjà Vu” (Giorgio Moroder): Moroder is the granddad of much of modern pop music. The 75-year-old producer’s new album is quite possibly the best pop album of the year. Chock full of great featured artists, “Déjà Vu” (2015) feels simultaneously fresh and established. Recent pop music has featured some 70s and 80s inspired synths. Moroder was the pioneer of many of the sounds that are being brought back into the mainstream, so it is not surprising that he’s managed to modernize the sound better than anyone. I’m honestly astounded this album hasn’t been played more — almost every track is pop-perfection. I’d recommend starting with “I Do This for You,” “Diamonds” and “Don’t Let Go.”

“3” (honeyhoney): I was very skeptical when I first came across this album, but I listened to it because I liked the band’s name. (I clearly have the most rigorous standards.) I’d call this album folksy-alternative country, but I really do know very little about country music so I could be wrong. In any case, the predominant musical forces that guide this album are twanging guitars and barely raspy vocals. The tracks vary in intensity and mood, but overall, the album is cogent. You could definitely put it on shuffle and be fine. “Numb It” and “Marry Rich” sold me on this album.

“Magnifique” (Ratatat): Ratatat has always had a special place in my heart. We used to put them on during late-night drives in high school. It’s impossible to feel agitated when you’re going 50 mph down the coast in between the inky black sea and city lights blasting “Cherry.” I’ve always preferred Ratatat’s first album but “Magnifique” (2015) might have changed my mind. The tracks are stranger, and the album flows better than many of their previous releases. Ratatat is almost entirely lyric-free, but the music is always engaging. My top tracks on “Magnifique” are “Abrasive” and “I Will Return.”

The list isn’t comprehensive. There were many great albums I loved this summer, but honestly, I couldn’t tell you anything about them you didn’t already know. The Weeknd’s new album is lush and gorgeous and makes me want to have sex. Ryn Weaver’s new sounds are jarring and beautiful. I’m still upset that Frank Ocean hasn’t come out with a second album. All statements that have been said better by more impressive people.

Maya Poddar, The Dartmouth Senior Staff