Dartbeat Reviews: The Box’s Spring Return

By Caroline Berens and Annette Denekas, The Dartmouth Staff | 4/20/15 7:01am

Much like FoCo’s waffle-maker, The Box (stylized theBOX) is something we (Annette and Caroline) have always glanced at with mild interest. Yet, they have both eluded us during out time here. This past fall we passed the food truck, still under the freshman delusion that FoCo was akin to a gourmet buffet. By the time we had realized our egregious error in judgment, The Box was gone for the winter. Luckily, along with warmth, sundresses and half of the student body, The Box is back for the spring, giving us a chance for redemption.

Yet as we headed towards The Box on Friday morning and perused its artfully decorated menu, we began to feel slight trepidation. “What is ‘baba ganoush,”I anxiously whispered as Annette pulled out her phone to Google it. We approached the window — our unease placated by the friendly employee — and ordered a standard meal. After scurrying to Novack, we unwrapped the food and dug in. Nothing could have prepared us for what happened next.

1. Pulled pork as a ½ and ½ grain and salad bowl

The moment we uncovered this, we knew it would all be okay. Comprised of cannellini bean and fennel salad, preserved lemon, arugula, kale pesto, mixed greens and pulled pork — all over a bed of quinoa and brown rice — the bowl emanated a heavenly aroma of meat and pine nuts. The pork was cooked to perfection, and complemented the light, chilled bean salad impeccably. The crunchy mixed greens were a flawless contrast to the soft rice and quinoa, and the pesto added a savory taste to everything. The bowl can’t be beat. And although we split it, this meal could easily feed one hungry person.

Caroline’s rating (out of 10): 10
Annette’s rating: 10

1. Baba Ganoush with Pita Bread

Next we tackled the baba ganoush, which, according to Annette’s Google search, is cooked eggplant mixed with onions, tomatoes, olive oil and various seasonings — similar to hummus., The ganoush was delicious, a perfect on-the-go snack when you’re running to class. The pita bread was thick, rich and tasty, although Annette did note that it would have been even better heated. On the whole, however, the spread and pita were complementary and satisfying.

Caroline’s rating: 8
Annette’s rating: 6

1. Chocolate Chip Salted Oat Cookie

Saddened by the impending end of our meal, we dug into the cookie, which we immediately noticed was the ideal level of chewy — a happy medium between collapsing FoCo cookie and rock-hard teeth-breakers. With chocolate chips and oats, as well as a distinguishable pinch of salt (a bold and delectable twist on the traditional CCC), the cookie would satisfy even the most demanding of sweet tooths. The wonderful end to a perfect meal, we made immediate plans to go back next week.

Caroline’s rating: 9
Annette’s rating:8

Caroline Berens and Annette Denekas, The Dartmouth Staff