Dear Diary: An ’18′s First Winter in Hanover, Vol. II

By Caroline Berens, The Dartmouth Staff | 1/15/15 6:31am

The commentary below is entirely fictional and does not represent the true diary entries of an anonymous member of the Class of 2018. New readers can catch installment one here.

1/7/15:

Dear Diary,

I was wrong again about winter in Hanover. This morning I woke up with fifteen minutes to spare before my 9L in the LSC, which would normally be fine for a champion speed walker like myself. But when I looked outside, there was a BLIZZARD! After decking myself out in full snow gear once again and wondering how anyone is ever on time to anything during the winter, I walked outside.

As I tried to hustle over to the LSC, I heard something crackling underneath my hood. At first I thought maybe my iPhone headphones had broken, but I checked them and they were fine. But diary, do you know what it was?! My hair had literally frozen!! I decided to take a pit stop in a McLaughlin common room to defrost, but by the time I left, I was already late to class.

Diary, you know I’d never lie to you. This is rough. Adjusting to the arctic climate here in Hanover is a little tougher than I expected.

Love,

An ’18 from LA

1/8/15:

Dear Diary,

Today, I went ice-skating and it was actually lots of fun! A bunch of my floor mates are also thinking about taking skiing as a PE class, and one of them told me she’s going to go to this awesome snowball fight on the Green tonight! I’d write more, but I don’t want to miss it. Maybe winter isn’t so bad after all, huh?

I left you by the radiator. Stay warm!

Love,

An ’18 from LA

Caroline Berens, The Dartmouth Staff