Around the Ivies

By Irene Cofie | 1/8/15 7:33am

Brown University: Before students left for winter break in December, Fossil Fuel Brown, an organization dedicated to divesting the University from global fossil fuel companies, had collected close to 450 signatures on a petition supporting its aims. According to the Brown Daily Herald, who reported on the story, the petition had more than 330 student signatures in addition to close to 70 signatures from alumni.

Columbia University: 150 individuals gathered at Columbia University on Dec.18 to commemorate the violent school attack in Peshawar, Pakistan, the Columbia Spectator reported. At the gathering —which met on the University’s College Walk —students led prayers in both English and Arabic, and a moment of silence was observed. Students from other schools across New York City were in attendance at the vigil.

Cornell University: Students at Cornell University took to social media during their finals period in December to note difficult weather conditions that dropped nearly seven inches of snow on upstate New York, according to the Cornell Sun. Highlighting posts from the University community, the Sun noted students using hashtags on twitter and instagram including #ithicaiscold and #arctic.

Harvard University: On Christmas morning, more than 100 students at Harvard received email messages from an account that had sent students and community members death threats in October, the Harvard Crimson reported. The Harvard University Police Department conducted a two-month investigation on the issue following the October emails, concluding that they did not pose a threat to student safety since they originated from overseas. December’s email appeared to be an apology for the earlier threats, according to the Crimson.

The University of Pennsylvania: In early December, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported on the University of Pennsylvania’s Student Veteran’s Association’s petition requesting a resource center for veterans. At the time, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported that it was unlikely that such a center would be established in the short term.

Princeton University: During an Economics 101 lecture this December at Princeton, students were interrupted by nearly 20 male streakers, the Daily Princetonian reported. At the time of reporting, none of the individuals —who wore only scarfs, ski masks and sneakers —had been identified.

Irene Cofie