White Lies, Shonda and Pong

By Maria S. Brenes | 10/17/14 3:00am

Yesterday's episode of “The Mindy Project” was, as always, pretty hilarious. Mindy lied to get out of a ticket, after which she lied again, after which she lied again. All in all, it was a typical episode, except for one thing.

What really captured my interest in this episode was something that has been expected for a while in “The Mindy Project,” and it was a cameo by none other than my girl…

Wait for it...

Shonda Rhimes.

In this episode, Peter, a Dartmouth alum, needs to find a new partner for the Dartmouth Alumni Pong Championship, choosing his colleague Jeremy as his partner.

Peter invents a new Dartmouth persona for Jeremy, one that includes donning a Dartmouth sweatshirt, a love for "hitting the can", the nickname Barf and of course, a fake affiliation to Sigma Nu fraternity.

In the tournament, Peter and Jeremy must face Shonda, the reigning champion. Shonda looks spotless in a simple green, long-sleeved t-shirt, surprisingly not wearing strictly Dartmouth merchandise (all her Dartmouth sweatshirts might be in use by Meredith Grey and David Rosen).

Everything was good up 'til now. I was admiring the on-point use of Dartmouth memorabilia, the familiar fratty scene with a touch of urban luxe and the enthusiasm surrounding pong.

Until they actually started playing.

You see… It was not traditional Dartmouth pong with paddles. It was the version of pong played everywhere else.

Why did you do this, Mindy? Why? (Mindy did publicly apologize to her “Dartmouth Big Greeners for the decision.)

Maria S. Brenes