Food Day: A Preview

By Julian Bonorris | 10/20/14 3:30am

Food Day is coming to Dartmouth! Throughout this week there will be thought-provoking speakers, delicious local food and celebrations for students, staff and faculty to enjoy. Food Day began four years ago as a way to reflect on the intertwining aspects of food, and this year Dartmouth has greatly expanded its programming.

College nutritionists Beth Rosenberger and K.C. Wright have been at the forefront of the Food Day initiative. The events aim to get different sectors of campus thinking about food processes, Wright said, so that the average student will “think a little bit about what they are eating.” The widespread nature of factory farms is one example of something more people could be conscious of, she said.

Going forward, Wright’s aim is to make these types of events more of an everyday occurrence, with Food Day serving as a starting point for campus involvement and enthusiasm about food issues. Eventually, Wright would like to see people “gradually making more healthy choices with respect to food,” she said, as well as an increased inclusion of food-related issues in academic curricula.

Here are a few of the highlights planned for Food Day:

Monday, Oct. 20: 3 p.m., Apple Crunch It’s apple season, so what better way to start off Food Day than with freshly picked New Hampshire apples? Come to the Green for live music and a coordinated apple bite at 3:15 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 21: 7 p.m., Documentary “Fed Up” Come to Loew Auditorium in the Black Family Visual Arts Center to see this investigation of America’s industrial food system. The Box food truck will be outside of the Hop from 5-7 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 23: 4 p.m., Lecture by Eco-Strategist Andrew Winston Head over to the Georgiopoulos Classroom in the Tuck School of Business to hear Winston speak about the intersection of environmentalism and business.

Friday, Oct. 24 (Food Day): 3 to 6:30 p.m., Farm Feast at the Dartmouth Organic Farm If you’ve never been to the organic farm, this is the perfect opportunity. There will be cider, The Box snacks and a screening of local filmmaker Ben Silberfarb’s short films.

Julian Bonorris