Beyond the Green: Five Tasty Farmer's Markets

By Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Senior Staff | 7/18/14 11:16am

As 14X grew closer this spring, exclamations of “You’re going to love sophomore summer!” and “I wish I could do it again!” seemed to jump up in every conversation I had. Sighs of “the farmer's markets!” also popped up more than I expected. So far, it’s all been true —especially the farmer’s markets! One of the quintessential summer activities, farmer’s markets have become big this summer, offering fun regardless of where the sunshine finds you.

Most Dartmouth students are familiar with —or at least have seen — the Hanover farmer’s market on the Green. But with some looking to get outside of the Dartmouth Bubble, and others with unfortunate lab times on Wednesday’s from 3 to 6 p.m., we’ve scoped out five of the best farmer's markets you can find off-campus! While there are far more options than what we have the space to cover here, you can’t go wrong with a visit to any farmer's market. Just don’t forget your reusable tote!

Norwich Farmers Market

Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 300 Route 5 South, Norwich, VT

With over 50 vendors each week, Norwich is one of the biggest local farmer's markets. They always have live entertainment and offer a huge variety of foods from fresh produce to paninis to cakes. Everything sold at the market is made or grown in one of the four surrounding counties — fresh from the field or oven! Plus, many weeks also feature arts and crafts activities.

Lebanon Farmers Market

Thursdays, 4 to 7 p.m., Colburn Park, Lebanon, NH

Lebanon brings together everything from jewelry to waffles to fresh cheese in their weekly farmer's market. With a wide variety of vendors, they offer a great selection of local goods and produce. Each week also features live music and free art workshops for kids. Plus, they stay rain or shine, so weather will never ruin your plans. Check out what local produce is available each month on their website.

Capital City Farmers Market

Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., State Street, Montpelier, VT

This market has been working for nearly 37 years to bring local foods and goods to Montpelier and nearby towns. Although it’s a trek from campus, the town brings together more than 50 weekly vendors and an array of baked goods, prepared foods, herbs, flowers and crafts each week, making it a can’t miss summer trip. A number of vendors specialize in organic produce and grass-fed meat, and you can even find fleece and yarn from certified organic Icelandic sheep raised right in Vermont!

Burlington Farmers Market

Saturdays, 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., City Hall Park, Burlington, VT

Boasting roughly 80 different stands with produce, fresh food, flowers and artisan wares, the Burlington farmer’s market is certainly worth the drive. Weekly entertainment and face painting are always a highlight, and if you’re craving some K-9 time, dogs are welcome. There are also a variety of specialty products sold including wine, bread, nut butters, sauces and medicinal tonics.

Mt. Tom Farmers Market

Saturdays, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Mt. Tom Parking Lot, Route 12 North, Woodstock, VT

Mt. Tom’s has been supporting local business and agriculture as Woodstock’s oldest open-air market since 1982. Several of the 25 vendors simply sell their goods and produce out of the back of their cars, and while it may be a smaller market than some of the others highlighted here, it still offers a wide variety of products including pasta, spices, meats, produce, baked goods, specialty foods and crafts.

Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Senior Staff