Students produce music video to ‘Happy’

By Caitlyn Karol | 5/1/14 7:30am

With this not-so-springy springtime weather, who isn’t looking for a quick little pick-me-up once in a while? Jake Gaba ’16, Yesuto Shaw ’15 and Jeremy Thibodeau ’14 recognized this demand and took it upon themselves to spread some happiness around campus.

“Our goal is to make everyone on campus feel happier and more like a community,” Gaba said.

You may have seen the trio dancing all around campus, working on producing a music video to Pharrell’s hit song “Happy.” More than 80 students have been filmed for the video, in addition to some administrators and even a horse that was on the Green.

“Smiles beget smiles,” Gaba said of their motivation behind the video, noting that feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

This isn’t Gaba’s first time dancing in public either. His “Guy Dances Across China in 100 Days” music video produced while on his language study abroad program in Beijing has garnered over 600,000 views on YouTube and received media attention globally. Gaba also started a video production and recording business with fellow student Devon Koch ’16 over 13W.

“We hope that no matter your feelings towards Dartmouth, you will still be able to watch our video and feel a little bit happier,” Gaba said.

Happiness is contagious, after all, and spring is the perfect time to make sure everyone catches some of it. The sun doesn’t shine every day here in the granite of New Hampshire, but it’s good to know that Dartmouth students still are.

Caitlyn Karol