New Yoga Studio Opens in Hanover

By Lauren Huff | 9/27/13 6:57am

Are you in need of a break from classes, sports or rush? Does your back hurt from lugging around your books and computer 24/7? Or are you just looking to try something new? You’re in luck, because as of Sept. 23, Mighty Yoga, Hanover’s new power yoga studio, is at your disposal.

As a lover of yoga and dedicated yogini, I knew I had to try the studio out as soon as possible. I decided to attend Mighty Yoga’s first ever class, which took place on Monday at noon. Though Mighty Yoga definitely has room for improvement, my overall experience was pleasurable and relaxing.

Mighty Yoga is located at 10 Allen Street, underground in the plaza across from EBAs.

You can sign up for class either online or in-studio, but signing up online makes it much easier! That way, you pay in advance, and preparation is as painless and relaxing as possible once you get to the studio.

After walking down the stairs, you will be greeted by an energetic receptionist at the front desk. After checking in, you will be directed toward a convenient set of shelves where you can place any belongings such as your phone, wallet and keys. If you don’t have your own mat, don’t worry! Mighty Yoga has rentals available.

The studio itself is far from state-of-the-art, but Mighty Yoga works well with what they have. A few inconvenient poles in the center of the room as well as the synthetic tiles covering the floor do make this studio a bit less ambient than others. However, it is quite spacious, and boasts a convenient bathroom that is easily accessible during class.

Mighty Yoga teaches power yoga, so if you take a class, it will most likely involve an intense vinyasa flow, and the room will also be slightly heated. Though the heat seemed minor in comparison to that of hot yoga classes I have taken in the past, it was still noticeable.

The class I took was well taught, moderately rigorous and restorative. My only complaints involve the studio environment. Dimmer lights and music would create a more relaxing class experience as the class lost some of the comfortable, self-reflective vibe usually accompanied by yoga with its the harsh florescent light and the silent room.

All in all, I had a good experience taking a class at Mighty Yoga. Moreover, I am excited that Hanover now has a studio! If you are looking for an hour-long getaway from college life, Mighty Yoga will definitely do the trick.

Lauren Huff