U2 Nation gives inspiring performance, draws small crowd

By Sara Kassir, The Dartmouth Staff | 8/13/13 10:55am

Far too often I hear students complain about the lack of social alternatives to the Greek scene — only to not bother taking advantage of the events that are offered. Programming Board’s Fieldstock concert in the Kemeny courtyard Saturday night was a prime example of a fun, sober summer evening that not nearly enough students attended.

The concert featured U2 Nation, a band covering songs by its namesake that was surprisingly reminiscent of the real thing. The group, formed ten years ago, plays shows throughout the Northeast and has even starred in the Atlantic City St. Patrick’s Day parade.

The band started with familiar tracks off of the infamous album, “The Joshua Tree,” eventually seguing to perhaps lesser-known — but equally enjoyable — songs from “The Unforgettable Fire.” Their performance of 1984’s “Bad” was my personal favorite.

“If you closed your eyes, you’d swear it was Bono singing,” Teddy Bommarito ’15 said.

Really though, they were well worth the trip behind the library. My younger brother, who was visiting for the weekend, was confused as to why more people didn’t show up. The weather was absolutely perfect, the show was free, the stage was well-lit and Programming Board served cotton candy, caramel apples and Dippin’ Dots.

Of the few dozen attendees who were there for the first set, some were community members while others were Dartmouth students trying to pass some time before heading out for the final night of Fieldstock. A few enthusiastic audience members lounging on the swing behind Novack made sure the band could hear their support.

When asked if they liked U2, the ’15s were quick to reply, “doesn’t everyone?”

Sara Kassir, The Dartmouth Staff