Spotlight On: The Chocolate Shop

By Lauren Harris | 4/30/13 9:00am

Cartoonist Charles Schulz famously wrote, "All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt."

Feeling as though my life was a bit lacking in both the love and chocolate departments, I decided to head to downtown Hanover and satisfy my cocoa-based cravings at The Chocolate Shop, located at 3 Lebanon Street.

As I entered, the familiar smell of cocoa and the sight of shelves upon shelves of colorful confections immediately comforted me. The Chocolate Shop was fully stocked, as usual, with everything from Brazilian brigadeiros to Belgian marzipan. The jars of multicolored jellybeans looked just as tempting as the mug-shaped cappuccino truffles. I felt right at home.

I spoke with Susan Morrison, the current owner, about the shop and its various confections. The Chocolate Shop has been in Hanover for over 20 years, and Morrison has owned it for three. Although much of the chocolate is locally made (as close as Norwich!) some morsels come from as far away as Paris; the shop also stocks bars from all over the world.

Morrison and I bonded over our love of all things chocolaty and delicious as she described some of the more popular treats. When I asked her whether she ever got tired of chocolate, she said no.

"I'm really passionate about the chocolate," she told me smilingly. And although she doesn't have a favorite treat herself, I learned that the almond bark is one of the shop's most-sold morsels.

"It's got just the right amount of salt. You hardly even taste it," Morrison explained.

I could've stayed for hours chatting and sampling chocolates, but I had to run to my 2. On the way out, I treated myself to a Mexican chocolate truffle and immediately regretted not buying an entire box. If you're planning on paying a visit to The Chocolate Shop in the near future, please blitz me, because I'm already dying to go back!

Lauren Harris