AZD Organized "Xi Man" to Fundraise for Autism Speaks

By Lauren Harris | 4/26/13 6:00am

On Wednesday evening, Alpha Xi Delta sorority presented “XiMan,” their much-anticipated fundraiser for Autism Speaks. This competition for a cause pitted Dartmouthmenfrom various groups and organizations on campus against one another in demonstrations of both virility and knowledge. Twelve male students representing fraternities, The Dartmouth and the Dartmouth Aires competed in various “minute-to-win-it”-style challenges, as well as trivia challenges, in order to earn points and eventually be named the winner.

The competition commenced with a challenge called “Junk in the Trunk.” In order to win, the competitors had to shake a ping pong ball out of a tissue box which was tied to their behinds. This challenge was not nearly as difficult, for most, as naming five of the Spice Girls. Other challenges included naming five Pokemon, eating a powdered donut off a string with no hands and keeping a balloon in the air for as long as possible.

Although the competitors were often reminded that this competition was “not about the points,” the testosterone in the room was overwhelming. The crowd enthusiastically supported their favorite competitors, and at one point one audience member started up a rousing chant of “Twomenenter, onemanleaves!”

At the conclusion of the event, Conor Murphy ’13, representing Bones Gate Fraternity, was crowned (quite literally) this year’s “XiMan.” And despite the competitive atmosphere, everyone seemed to leave in high spirits.

Samantha Webster ’15, one of the co-chairs of the event, said she was a bit nervous because “AZD had never organized an event of this type before.” Overall, AZD was very pleased with how the event turned out. “We were extremely happy to see so many people come out to support their friends in the competition,” she said.

Lauren Harris