Off-Campus Kitchen: Fish with leeks and mushrooms & roasted potatoes

By Laura Bryn Sisson, The Dartmouth Staff | 3/27/13 10:00am

I’m leaving the quantities large so as to facilitate making a meal for a big group, be it a club, camping buddies, your dorm, etc., but you can reduce them to make an easy and healthy dinner for yourself and a few friends. Experiment with seasoning; without any red pepper flakes, the dish will please picky eaters and mild palates, while with added pepper, it becomes more interesting to the adventurous diner.

Fish with Leeks and Mushrooms
1 filet of white fish per person (we used Swai, a variety of catfish, but use whatever’s available at the market. We bought about 14 pounds for 30 people)
4 leeks
2 pounds mushrooms
1 stick butter
2 cups apple cider
1 cup white wine (substitute with more cider if you don’t have access to wine)
1 cup sliced almonds
Red pepper flakes to taste

Roasted potatoes
1 red potato per person (for 30 people, about 10 pounds)
1.5 cups olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

2. Melt butter in a skillet. Sauté the leeks and mushrooms in the skillet until the mushrooms release juice and the leeks become tender. Add wine and cider, stirring and allowing the liquid to reduce.

3. Arrange the fish in a baking pan. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes to taste. Add the leeks, mushrooms and the cooking liquid to the pan, topping with almonds. Grease a separate baking sheet with olive oil, and arrange potatoes atop it, pouring remaining olive oil over potatoes.

4. Place both fish and potatoes in the oven and bake for at least 30 minutes (baking time will depend on the quantity of food you’re making), checking every 15 minutes. When the fish is done, it will become opaque and flaky and the potatoes will become soft in the middle. Enjoy!

Laura Bryn Sisson, The Dartmouth Staff