From the Newsroom

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 3/1/13 3:00am

Anne Hathaway: In Defense of the Happy Girl — Sasha Weiss, The New Yorker
Oh, Anne! With your small head and pert nose and oversized, ready smile and glossy pixie cut and squeakily tuneful speaking voice, uttering lines like “It came true!” as you gaze at your newly won Oscar with moistened doe-eyes, wearing a powder-pink Prada gown adorned with diamonds and bows: Why are you so annoying?

-Claire Groden, Evening Managing Editor

The psycho-sexual ordeal of reporting in Washington — Marin Cogan, The New Republic
What all of this obsession with political power and sex might overlook is that the majority of reporter-source interactionsareexceedingly polite and professional. But not always. Which is why there is one line Barnes delivers on “House of Cards” that is so relatable you might just hear it on the tongues of somewomen reporters. “Oh Brian, you’re so sweet, really,” Barnestells a hopeful suitor as they reach her apartment after a nightout. “But if I was going to fuck you, you’d know.”

-Felicia Schwartz, Executive Editor

Marissa Mayer's Job Is to Be CEO — Not to Make Life Easier for Working Moms — Ann-Marie Slaughter, The Atlantic
But hang on. Marissa Mayer is a CEO first and a woman second. Indeed, she is a role model for many precisely because she made it to the top job. And as a CEO, her first job is to save her company. If she fails in that, the employees she is insisting come in to the office will have no jobs to come in to.

Postscript: C. Everett Koop — Michael Specter, The New Yorker
By the time Koop left office, his enemies had become his friends (and vice versa). When he presented Waxman with a copy of his autobiography, “Koop: The Memoirs of America’s Family Doctor,” he signed it: “to the biggest man in Congress.” Waxman is five foot five. Yesterday, he called Koop a hero.

-Leslie Ye, Dartbeat Editor

The Fall of Academics at Harvard — Elizabeth Auritt and Delphine Rodrik, The Harvard Crimson
That summer, after Lamont had emptied out for the semester, the accusations came. The cheating was “unprecedented in anyone's living memory,” according to Dean of Undergraduate Education Jay M. Harris.
But the students who had collaborated in Lamont that spring evening faced no accusations. They had not been enrolled in Government 1310.

Oscar-Winning Lessons in History and Hard Sell — Melena Ryzik, The New York Times
In a three-and-a-half-hour spectacle of glossy celebration for a roomful of superstars dripping with jewels and self-regard, the question of how much is too much may seem moot. But with the right tone and perspective, even that ego parade can seem fun to watch. In choosing Mr. MacFarlane in its quest for a younger, more male viewership, the Academy sacrificed its central constituency — women make up the majority of the Oscar audience — and fomented cultural battles in an awards season already full of them.

21 Devastatingly Accurate Movie Reviews — Jack Shepherd, BuzzFeed

-Jenny Che, Editor-in-Chief

Cents and Sensibility — Jack Newsham, Yale Daily News
David Truong ’14 still remembers what it was like to move into his freshman dorm. As he watched a suitemate buy a TV stand, a TV and an Xbox without hesitation, he cringed while paying for clothes hangers and plastic storage bins for his room. That first weekend when everyone was getting to know each other, Truong struggled with suite discussions about splitting the cost of a couch. The expectation that everyone would be contributing to the cost of furnishing the suite, while he thought it fair, was an adjustment.

-Horacio Romero, Operations & Management Director

Rare Color Photos of 1960 Chinese Operas — Alyssa Coppelman, Slate
"Slate published a collection of photographs from the Chinese Cultural Revolution (1966-76) that were on display earlier this month in the Stephen Bulger Gallery in Toronto. Zhang Yaxin, a photographer for the state-run Xinhua News Agency, was one of few people in China during the tumultuous period to have unlimited access to color film. Mao Zedong's wife Jiang Qing selected Zhang to use the color film to photograph the performances. The results don't look like photographs at all. They are artificial and painting-like in quality, a product of the era's Soviet-inspired socialist realism."

Inside Chuck Hagel's Photo Session — Dan Amira, New York Magazine
"The Senate confirmed former senator Chuck Hagel as the new Defense Secretary this week. Media sources noted the sad face in his portrait. New York Magazine published a transcript of the photo session that produced the frowny face photo."

-Gavin Huang, Photo Editor

I Knew You Were A Goat When You Walked In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWf3-KQNaA

-Gardiner Kreglow, Publisher, Ye and Romero

The Dartmouth Web Staff