Alumni Gym extends hours due to cold weather

Due to Hanover’s chilly temperatures and fewer outdoor activity options, winter term means extended hours for campus facilities such as the Alumni Gym. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, the gym stays open for an extra hour until 10 p.m., as opposed to 9 p.m. during the fall, spring and summer terms. 

“In the winter, we know that it’s harder for people to do things outdoors and we have less light, so we add some hours to the gym so students, faculty, staff and gym members have more opportunities to come into the gym,” said senior associate athletic director for physical education and recreation Joann Brislin, who assists in planning the gym’s schedule. 

“It makes intuitive sense that as the weather changes in New England, we’re going to make adjustments to try to give our population every opportunity that we can,” Brislin said.  

Kiera Vrindten ’20 said she started working in the gym during her off term in the fall to “keep busy” and earn money. Vrindten works in the gym three nights a week for three-hour shifts, including on Saturday nights from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. 

“I don’t really see a big difference with the extra hour — I’m here doing homework anyway,” Vrindten said. “I think that’s one of the perks of the job. I don’t mind it because people are usually good at leaving on time.” 

According to Vrindten, the peak gym time is around 5 p.m., but she said a “good number” of people come in late. 

Though the gym still closes at 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday during the winter term, in the spring it will only be open until 10 p.m. on weeknights because students are able to exercise outside. 

The Hinman Mail Center also has extended hours during the winter term, though not because of the colder weather. On weekdays for the first two weeks of the term, Hinman stays open until 6 p.m. as opposed to the typical 5 p.m.

Mail and delivery services manager Valery Ladygin said that the Hinman Mail Center usually has extended hours at the beginning of every term because of an increase in the number of packages it receives. 

Monday, Jan. 7 was the peak day of package arrivals this term, with Hinman receiving over 2,000 packages, mainly textbooks, according to Ladygin. 

He said that Hinman used to stay open until 7 p.m. during the extended hours period, but statistics showed that only one or two people would come in after 6 p.m. 

“The extended hours are better for the students,” Ladygin said. “We are here for the students. I know how important it is for a student to get their textbooks.”