The Weekend Roundup: Week 10

The men’s soccer team concluded its season under a new coach with a 4-1 victory over Brown University.

Football

The Big Green traveled to Ithaca, New York, this past weekend to take on Cornell University. Dartmouth started off strong, with Jake Guidone ’21, J.J. Jones III ’21 and Rashaad Cooper ’19 all finding their way to the end zone. After Dartmouth scored 21 unanswered points in the first quarter of play, Cornell answered back in the second quarter by scoring 17 points of their own. With the teams within four points of each other, quarterback Jared Gerbino ’20 recorded two touchdown runs in the third quarter to widen the gap to 35-17. While Cornell scored one last touchdown in the final quarter of play to narrow Dartmouth’s lead, the Big Green was able to bring home a 35-24 win. The team will play its last game of the season against Brown University on Nov. 17 in Hanover.

Women's Ice Hockey

Women’s ice hockey had a busy week, playing three games and tallying one win, one tie, and one loss.

On Tuesday, the Big Green faced off against the University of Vermont at home. Tess Bracken ’19 opened up scoring in the first period. While UVM was able to score on a power play during the second period, Bracken struck again during the third period to give Dartmouth a 2-1 lead. Sara McClanahan ’22 added a goal of insurance just two minutes later to close out a 3-1 victory.

The team faced off against the Rochester Institute of Technology on Friday at home, falling 5-1. Bracken scored her third of the weekend in the first period to give Dartmouth a 1-0 lead, but RIT came back with five unanswered goals. The team looked to redeem itself on Saturday in a second matchup the Tigers. RIT opened up scoring in the first period, but Rose Falzone ’20 got Dartmouth on the board midway through the second frame. RIT netted its second goal just 21 seconds into the third to open up a 2-1 lead. With 9:25 left in game play, Chloe Puddifant ’22 found the back of the net to tie the game. After five minutes of overtime play, the two teams walked away with a 2-2 tie.

The Big Green will play their next game on Nov. 24 against the University of Maine in Orono, Maine.

Men's Soccer

Dartmouth men’s soccer finished out the regular season with a 4-1 takedown of Brown University Saturday night, making it a great Senior Night for the team and keeping their National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament hopes alive. Scoring for the Big Green was led by Eduvie Ikoba ’19, who has had five goals in the last three games, along with one each from Dawson McCartney ’21 and Braden Salvati ’20. Dartmouth finishes the year at 7-5-5 overall and 4-1-2 in Ivy League competition.

Women's Volleyball

Women’s volleyball ended their season on a sour note, falling to the University of Pennsylvania 3-0 on Friday and Princeton University 3-0 on Saturday. The Big Green finished the year at 10-15, and 5-9 in Ivy League conference play.

In the match against the Quakers, Nicole Liddle ’22 led the Big Green with six kills, while Abby Kott ’20 and Elise Petit ’21 notched five of their own. Corinne Cox ’20 was the leader in assists, tallying 15, while 13 digs from Zoe Leonard ’19 and 11 from Liddle led the way defensively. Dartmouth played it close in the first two sets, falling 25-23 in each, before losing the match out in a tough 25-15 third set.

Against Princeton, Kott and Petit were key again for the Big Green, each contributing six kills on the day. Cox remained the leader in assists, with 17, while Lauren Douglas ’21 earned seven digs. Dartmouth started the day off slowly, dropping the first set 25-11, before battling to a close 25-23 mark against the 19-6 Tigers in the second set. However, the Big Green was unable to continue its momentum in the third, falling 25-20.

Women's Cross Country

The women’s cross country team qualified for the National Collegiate Athletic Association Championship with a second place finish, edging out Yale University by just six points to claim one of the region’s two automatic berths.

Glennis Murphy ’21 finished 10th with a time of 22:09.1, closely followed by teammates Lauren Sapone ’20, Georgia Fear ’20 and Julia Stevenson ’20 in 11th, 14th and 16th place, respectively. Lilian Anderson ’19 rounded out the top five with a 37th place finish in 22:40.5, with teammate Oliva Lantz ’19 following close behind in 38th.

The Big Green will be traveling to Madison, Wisconsin to compete in the 2018 NCAA Championship on Saturday. The team will look to build off its strong performance.

Women's Rugby

Dartmouth women’s rugby came out strong in the National Intercollegiate Rugby Association quarterfinals this Saturday, defeating Brown University 75-15. The Big Green were undefeated until a narrow loss to Harvard University in the Ivy League Championship, but remained the No.1 seed going into the tournament, a mark they demonstrated they deserved as they went into the halftime up 51-0. The Bears finally scored their first try 15 minutes into the second half, but it was too little, too late, as Dartmouth was already up an astounding 68 points. Two more Brown tries in the final minutes added some more points to the board, but the game ended soon after. The offensive effort from Dartmouth came from all fronts, with nine players grabbing at least one try. Ale Ada ’22, Camille Johnson ’19 and Marin Pennell ’21 all had two tries, with Johnson nabbing 25 points in total over the course of the game.

Dartmouth will face the winner of the Norwich and Army match this Friday at Brophy Field, setting up a potential return to the national championship against either Harvard, AIC, Notre Dame or Quinnipiac. The Big Green fell in the 2017 national championship to Quinnipiac, 20-29.

Women's Basketball

Big Green women’s basketball opened its 2018-2019 season with a home matchup against Loyola University Maryland on Friday night and an away battle with the University of Vermont, topping both teams to start the campaign 2-0.

On Friday, the Big Green fought to a low-scoring 54-41 victory. Defense was key to the Big Green’s win, as Dartmouth held Loyola to a 24.5 percentage field goal rate and forced 18 turnovers. On the offensive end, Isalys Quinones ’19 led the charge with a double-double of ten points and 12 rebounds in her senior season debut. Annie McKenna ’20 led a balanced scoring attack with 13 points, while Anna Luce ’21 poured in 11 points on 5-7 shooting. While Loyola led 12-10 after the first quarter, the Big Green played well on both the offensive and defensive end in the second and third quarters to pull away with a 12-point lead. From there on, the team never relinquished its lead, outscoring the visitors 11-10 after a solid fourth quarter to clinch the 13-point victory.

Fresh off a strong performance in its season-opener, the team looked forward to its first road test of the season. Against the Catamounts on Sunday, Quinones once again led the way, scoring 22 points on 9-of-17 shooting and adding seven rebounds and three steals. For the second straight game, Luce was one of the most efficient players on the court, scoring a career-high 13 points on 6-8 shooting in just 20 minutes on the court. The Big Green pulled away from Vermont in the second quarter, when they outscored the Catamounts 23-7. The Big Green had a strong second half as well, outscoring its opponent 16-10 in the third quarter and 15-10 in the fourth quarter for a 66-42 victory.

After an extended break, Dartmouth returns to action on Nov. 24 against Middle Tennessee State University as part of the Lady Rebel Round-up in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Men's Swimming

The men’s swimming team began their season with losses to Cornell University and Harvard University this Friday, with scores of 199-99 and 210-83 respectively.

Connor LaMastra ’21 finished in the top four in all three of his events, placing second in the 200-yard freestyle and 200-yard fly and fourth in the 500-yard freestyle. Joe Moll ’22 competed well at his first collegiate meet, with fourth place finishes in both the 1000-yard freestyle and 200-yard backstroke, as well as a second place finish in the 200-yard individual medley.

Dartmouth rounded out the meet with second and fourth place finishes in the 400-yard freestyle relay. The A relay was just two seconds behind Cornell in first, while the B relay finished seven seconds later.

The Big Green travels to Providence, Rhode Island next weekend for the Big Al Invitational.

Women's Swimming

In a tri-meet with Cornell University and Harvard University over the weekend, women’s swimming and diving bested Cornell 152-248 to earn its first Ivy League meet victory since 2012.

Mia Leko ’22 dazzled in her collegiate debut, earning victories in three events: the 200-yard freestyle, the 200-yard fly and the 500-yard freestyle. The Big Green’s 200-yard medley relay teams took second and third to begin a strong day for Dartmouth. Mackenzie Stumpf ’21 also took home a win in the 100-yard breaststroke, with a quick time of 1:04.11. Teammate Maggie Deppe-Walker ’21 finished close behind in third place.

With Cornell and Dartmouth each within winning distance heading into the last race of the meet, Dartmouth bested the Big Red by just two-tenths of a second in the 400-yard freestyle relay to come away with the victory.

Dartmouth heads to Brown University next weekend to compete at the Big Al Invitational.

Men's Basketball

Dartmouth men’s basketball began its 2018-19 campaign with a mixed bag of results, decimating Newbury College 114-39 on Tuesday before falling to Davidson College 76-71 on Friday and outlasting Loyola University Maryland 82-80 on Sunday.

Dartmouth set a number of records in their opener against Division III Newbury, with 22 3-pointers and 31 assists. The offensive performance was led by Brendan Barry ’20, with 26 points on 9-11 shooting and five assists. He was joined by James Foye ’20, with 18 points and eight rebounds, and Chris Knight ’21, who nabbed 11 points and 10 rebounds to finish with his first career double-double. Dartmouth started off the night strong against the Nighthawks, jumping out to a 31-5 lead. The team maintained its offensive prowess efforts for the rest of the half, ultimately leading 61-24 at the break. The Big Green built on this in the second half, running away to a 50-point margin with 15 minutes left, before ending with a margin of 75 points at the final buzzer.

The Big Green found themselves against a much tougher opponent at Davidson on Friday and ran with them for the whole 40 minutes, before the North Carolina opposition pulled ahead on three consecutive free throws in the final seconds of the game. Dartmouth’s points came from all fronts, with five players scoring more than 10 for the game. Adrease Jackson ’21 led the way with 16 and Ian Sistare ’20 was close behind with 15. Jackson also led the team with eight rebounds, followed by Knight with six rebounds to go alongside 13 points. The team carried a 40-33 lead at the half, and even built it up to 12 points six minutes into the second, but Davidson clawed their way back to an eight point game at 76-68 with under four minutes to go. Dartmouth was unable to score for the rest of the game, however, and the Wildcats did just enough to pull ahead and win by three.

In its second consecutive one-possession finish of the weekend, the Big Green bested Loyola to improve to 2-1. With 25 points on 7-of-14 shooting, Jackson led the Big Green in scoring for his second time in as many days. Knight supplemented the Big Green attack with 19 points and 8 rebounds. The Big Green led 48-43 at the half. Despite a consistent effort from the Greyhounds to stay close to the Big Green, Dartmouth prevailed 82-80 after Lloya missed a potential game-winning three.

Men's Ice Hockey

Men’s ice hockey hit the road this weekend, bringing in one win and one loss. On Friday, the team traveled to Providence, Rhode Island, to take on Brown University. Brown scored once during the first period and took a 2-0 lead 2:44 into the second frame. Will Graber ’20 responded to the Bears goal just 55 seconds later, putting the Big Green on the board and cutting the lead in half. Brown struck again halfway through the third, but Quin Foreman ’21 found the back of the net with under four minutes remaining in the game to bring Dartmouth within one. While the team pulled Adrian Clark ’20 to give them an extra skater in the hopes of tying up the game, Brown scored on the empty net to seal their 4-2 win.

The team was back on the ice Saturday against Yale. Carl Hesler ’18 opened up scoring at the beginning of the first to give Dartmouth a 1-0 lead. The team held their lead for the entire game, and with slightly over a minute remaining in the third, Yale pulled its goalie in a lastminute attempt to get on the board. The team was able to hold off the Bulldogs, with Graber and Foreman both scoring empty net goals to take home a 3-0 win. The team will be back in action on Nov. 24 against the University of Vermont.

Men's Cross Country

The men’s cross country team finished fourth overall at the NCAA Northeast Regional meet.

Quinn Cooney ’19 led the way with a 10th place finish (33:09.5), followed by teammates Marco Pompilj ’19, Henry Raymond ’20, Owen Ritz ’21 and Patrick O’Brien ’21 in 18th, 29th, 42nd and 45th places respectively.

The Big Green will now wait to find out if they will earn an at-large berth to the National Collegiate Athletic Association Championship Meet in Madison, Wisconsin next Saturday.