The Weekend Roundup: Week 7

Track and Field:

Dartmouth’s men’s track and field team placed fourth overall in the Ivy League Heptagonal Outdoor Track & Field Championship at the University of Pennsylvania’s Franklin Field. After the first day, Dartmouth ranked seventh with 15 points. In the first round, Dartmouth did well in javelin, with Ben Colello ’18 scoring eight points for the team with his 60.54-meter throw to place second. Alec Eschholz ’19 and Benjamin Ose ’19 ranked fifth and sixth in the event, respectively, and scored a combined three points for the team. Colin Minor ’18 scored four points for the team with a fourth-place finish in hammer throw. On the second day, the Big Green scored a total of 59 points to climb up to fourth place overall, behind Cornell University at third, Penn at second and Princeton University at first. Max Frye ’21, Parker Johnson ’19 and Eschloz came in second, third and fourth respectively in the 400m hurdles, earning the team 18 points. For men’s decathlon, Ose came in first scoring 10 points, Ben Colello ’18 placed second scoring eight points and Matthew Sindelar ’18 scored two points in fifth place. Ethan Ruh ’20 placed fourth in shot put and scored four points for the Big Green. Marco Pompilj ’19 secured third in the 3000m steeplechase and scored six points. On May 11 and 12, Dartmouth will host the 2018 New England Championship at Memorial Field. There is a strong possibility that many members of the team will qualify for the NCAA East Regional Meet near the end of the month.

Women’s track and field finished sixth at the 2018 Ivy League Championship Sunday at Franklin Field. Penn finished in first place with 177 points, Harvard University second with 114 points, Princeton University third with 90, Cornell University fourth with 87.5, Columbia University fifth with 83, Dartmouth sixth with 62.5, Brown University seventh with 54 and Yale University last with only 14 points. The Big Green finished second after a strong day one performance, but was unable to match its strong start in day two, falling to sixth place. Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 won the 100-meter hurdles with an Ivy League meet record of 13.25 seconds, earning an All-Ivy League honor. It was her second team honor of the weekend, as she also won second-team recognition in the long jump on Saturday. Rothwell has now won six conference championships in her Dartmouth career across both indoor and outdoor seasons. Julia Valenti ’20 earned All-Ivy Second Team in the pole vault after finishing in second in the event. Next, the Big Green will host the 2018 New England Championship Meet on May 11 and 12 at Memorial Field.

Baseball:

This weekend was a big weekend for the Big Green as Dartmouth baseball secured three dominating wins against Princeton University. On Saturday, the team’s offense claimed a total of 30 runs, winning the two games 14-3 and 16-1. Dustin Shirley ’18 and Kyle Holbrook ’18 made their Senior Days memorable ones, each forcing seven runs. Holbrook also recorded his first career grand slam in the eigth inning of the second game, the first grand slam by the Big Green in four years. Prior to these two games, no player on the current Dartmouth roster had even more than three RBIs in a game, but three players — Michael Calamari ’20, Holbrook and Shirley — did on Saturday. On defense, Jack Fossand ’18 was dominant in the second game, pitching 7.2 innings without giving up a run and recording eight strikeouts.

The Big Green secured their third win of the weekend against Princeton 6-2 on Sunday, May 6. Clay Chatham ’18 only allowed one run after pitching six innings and Nate Ostmo ’19 matched his career high of three hits, including a home run. With a record of 11-6 in the Ivy League, the Big Green is only behind Yale University in the league standings. After hosting Middlebury College on Wednesday, the team will face Harvard University in a three-game series next weekend to close out the regular season. Dartmouth is still able to host the Ivy League Championship Series if the team wins all three at Harvard and if Yale is swept by the University of Pennsylvania.

Women's Lacrosse:

The Dartmouth women’s lacrosse team (11-5) lost to the University of Pennsylvania (13-3) in the Ivy Semifinal on Friday, May 4. It was a fight until the end, with the Big Green trailing by as many as eight in the latter half. Dartmouth scored seven of the last eight goals, but eventually ran out of time and fell 16-14 to the Quakers. Dartmouth had an advantage over the Quakers 41-31 in shot attempts. Michelle Yu ’20 recorded a score in each half. Ellie Carson ’20, who had a team-leading 50 goals this season, was injured in the first few minutes and did not return to the game. Kathryn Giroux ’19 dominated draw controls, recording an all-time Ivy Tournament record of 16. She now has 258 career draws, which is the second-best in conference history. Dartmouth has not been in the Ivy League Tournament since 2013.

Equestrian:

Olivia Champ ’19 from the Dartmouth Equestrian team competed in the 2018 Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) National Championship on Thursday, May 3. Champ took fourth in individual open fences. In her first round, she ranked first with a score of 87 out of 100. The top four riders performed again for a “test,” which challenged the riders with a series of assessments. This course was shorter than the first. Champ rode well, but her draw, Skidmore College’s Crosby, stopped in front of the second fence, which lowered her score and ultimately resulted in her taking fourth. The IHSA competition included over 500 riders, selected through Regionals and Zone Championships from the 10,000 in the organization. This was Dartmouth’s final competition of this season.

Softball:

Softball had a great weekend against Brown University, with a doubleheader on Saturday and a close win on Sunday. They won the first game on Saturday 9-1 and managed to come back to win 8-7 after briefly losing the lead in the sixth inning of the second game. The Big Green’s defense had a clear advantage with pitcher Breanna Ethridge ’18 recording a career-high 11 strikeouts, allowing only two hits and one run the entire game.

The game on Sunday was much closer but the Big Green managed to secure a 7-6 win against Brown to finish off the regular season. This was thanks to the Big Green’s defense and pitcher Heather Turner ’21’s performance. Turner earned her third save of the season after striking out two of the final batters from Brown.

With the wins over the weekend, the team is now 16-5 in the Ivy League and will have home field advantage for the Ivy League Championship Series next weekend.