The Weekend Roundup: Week 2

Men's Lacrosse

Dartmouth’s men’s lacrosse team fell to Cornell University at Scully-Fahey Field on Saturday 22-11. The Big Green is now 2-6 overall and 0-2 in Ivy play while Cornell is now 2-1 in the Ivy League and 6-3 overall. Dartmouth’s Ben Martin ’20 and George Prince ’21 both scored two goals and had two assists. Jack Korzelius ’18 and Liam O’Connell ’20 both had their first hat tricks of the season. The Big Red scored six straight goals in the first to seize an early 7-1 lead and never looked back. Although Dartmouth was not able to surmount Cornell’s huge lead, the Big Green continued to fight, ending the game with three consecutive goals to bring the final score to 22-11. Dartmouth will face off against Yale University next weekend on Saturday, April 7 at home. Yale is currently 3-0 in conference play.

Women's Lacrosse

The Dartmouth women’s lacrosse team, ranked 19th in the country, took a 18-14 win against Harvard University on Saturday at Harvard Stadium. With the team’s seventh straight victory, the Big Green is now 7-1 overall and 3-0 in the Ivy League. They now have the best record in the Ivy League, with the University of Pennsylvania trailing close behind at 2-0. Ellie Carson ’20 scored three goals and provided four assists, while Kierra Sweeney ’19 scored four goals and assisted on one shot. Goalkeeper Kiera Vrindten ’20 made seven saves. The first half was very back-and-forth, with the Crimson clinging on to a 9-8 lead at intermission. However, five straight goals for the Big Green early in the second secured Dartmouth’s win. The Big Green will face off against Penn at home on Saturday, April 7.

Baseball

Dartmouth Baseball had two major openers this week, hosting Quinnipiac University in their first home game of the season on Wednesday and beginning Ivy League play with a three-game road series at the University of Pennsylvania over the weekend. Although the Bobcats got on the board first on Wednesday night, the game ended as an easy 11-4 win as the team accumulated 17 hits. Sean Sullivan’s ’19 triple in the bottom of the first inning ignited a Big Green rally, and a triple by Michael Calamari ’20 and a two-run homer from Justin Fowler ’18 gave the team a 4-1 lead. Dartmouth never looked back from there, pounding out two more runs in the second inning and four more in the fourth.

Against Penn, Dartmouth battled it out in each of the three games. Dartmouth opened the series with a close 5-4 victory over the Quakers on Saturday. Although Dartmouth scored early by plating runs in the first, second, and fourth innings, Penn nearly came back in the bottom of the sixth by scoring three runs. Cole O’Connor ’19 was able to escape the inning and limit the damage to three runs through seven innings. Relief pitcher Austen Michel ’20 closed out the Big Green win with two innings of one-run ball.

During the second game, runs in the second, sixth and seventh innings put the Big Green up 4-1 late in the game, but the Quakers fought back when Penn’s Kyle Cronk single drove in two runs. The teams traded a pair of runs each in the eighth, leading to a score of 6-5 as the ninth inning began. Malinowski’s single tied the game for Penn and forced the game into a tenth inning. After both teams scored a run in the tenth inning, the Quakers secured the 8-7 win with a walk-off in the bottom of the eleventh.

The final matchup against Penn on Sunday saw both teams finish in a 4-4 tie in the second game of the doubleheader. The Big Green got off to a hot start once again with a double from Dustin Shirley ’18 and a crucial Penn error that put them ahead 3-0. However, like game two of the series, the game went into extra innings as late hits by the Quakers’ Daniel Halevy and Matt McGeagh evened the score. Patrick Peterson ’18 maintained his cool for Dartmouth, leaving Penn scoreless through the bottom of the tenth and eleventh innings, and the game ended in a tie.

Heavyweight Crew

The heavyweight crew team had a strong showing at the Alumni Cup this weekend in Cambridge, Massachusetts against the College of the Holy Cross, Columbia University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The team’s varsity eight came in first at 6:13.35; the Big Green took the top spot once again in the second varsity at 6:15.6, defeating Columbia, who finished in second at 6:27.5, with a sizeable margin. The third and fourth varsity boats finished in first place at 6:29.6 and second place at 6:34.8. The team will be racing again next weekend against Yale in the Olympic Axe in Derby, Connecticut.

Men's Tennis

The No. 32 Dartmouth men’s tennis team fell in their Ivy League conference opener to No. 27 Harvard University Saturday, 4-0. This result brings the record on the year for the men to 14-5. The Crimson gained their first point of the day with close victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions. In the No.1 position, a 6-6 game between No. 49 duo Charlie Broom ’20 and David Horneffer ’20 of Dartmouth and No. 77 duo Kenny Tao and Logan Weber of Harvard went unfinished.

In the lineup for singles, the matches at the No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6 positions did not finish, with the Harvard victory coming after clinching victories in the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 5 positions. The Big Green fought hard, despite the final result, with all matches that ended inconclusively being in their third sets at the time they were called.

The men’s tennis team will continue their conference play on the road this upcoming weekend taking on Yale University on Friday and returning home to play Brown University on Sunday.

Women's Golf

The Dartmouth Women’s Golf team headed to Galloway, New Jersey this weekend to compete in the Checkmate Match Play Challenge on the Seaview Golf Club Pines Course. Despite a win against Wagner College, the women were sent to face Lehigh University in the consolation bracket after a 5-0 loss to top-seed Naval Academy. During the opening round against Wagner, Dartmouth’s team of five clinched the win against the Seahawks when Maddie Nelson ’20 won her match to break the 2-2 tie. The sophomore’s victory added to the easy wins secured by Jessica Kittelberger ’18 and captain Catharine Roddy ’19.

The Women’s Golf team continued their fierce play from the opening rounds, finishing third after defeating Lehigh 4-1. Kittelberger and Isabelle Kane ’18 secured their respective matches, while Julianne Strauch ’21 narrowly edged Alexis Brone. Dartmouth’s final point on the day came from the combined efforts of Nelson and Roddy, who each earned a half point by tying in their rounds. The team heads to Florida next week where they will compete in the Harvard Invitational.

Women's Tennis

The Dartmouth women’s tennis team lost by a single point in their respective Ivy League opener Saturday against Harvard University, falling 4-3. This brings the overall record for the Big Green to 7-9. In the doubles, Dartmouth found victory in the No. 2 position, with Kristina Mathis ’18 and Racquel Lyn ’20 winning 6-4; however, wins for the Crimson in the No. 3 and No. 1 positions clinched the first point for Harvard. In singles, wins for Mathis at the No. 1 position, Lyn at the No. 3 position and Abigail Chiu ’21 in the No. 4 position brought the Big Green within a point after Harvard victories at No. 2 and No. 5, but a win at the No. 6 position clinched the match for the Crimson.

The Big Green looks to bounce back as they face Yale University on Friday at home and then travel on Sunday to play Brown University.

Men's Golf 

The Big Green headed to Ithaca this weekend where they faced Temple University and Cornell University at the Cornell Spring Invitational. Dartmouth began the two-day tournament strongly by securing first place among the triad of teams. The team scored 296, while Cornell and Temple scored 309 and 326 respectively. However, during the second day of play, Cornell recorded an impressive score of 291 to share the first place title with Dartmouth. Among the Big Green players, five members placed within the Top Ten including captain Ian Kelsey ’18, Sam Ohno ’21, Jason Liu ’21, James Turner ’21, and Will Bednarz ’20. The team was led by Kelsey who earned medalist honors when he finished with a matching two-under 70 during both rounds. The team heads to North Carolina next weekend for the Irish Creek Intercollegiate.

Women's Rowing

In their first race of the spring, the Dartmouth women’s crew team traveled to Camden, New Jersey this weekend to the Doc Hosea Invitational. Twelve different teams came to the Garden State to compete, with the Big Green placing third with 99 points. The team’s varsity eight took second place with a time of 6:42.4, narrowly beating out Cornell University by less than a second. The second varsity boat took third place in their heat at 6:53.3. In the varsity four, the team finished in second at 7:44.0 after first place Indiana University at 7:34.4; in the varsity 4B, the team finished in third at 8:03.8. In the Grand Final, the varsity eight took second place in a close finish against Syracuse, who ended up taking third place after the results were reviewed by officials. The second varsity boat took third place at 6:45.4, and the third varsity boat also took third place in their race at 7:10.6 with a large gap between them and fourth place finisher Naval Academy at 7:19.0. In the varsity four Petite Final, the Big Green took home second at 8:02.0; in the varsity four Grand Final, the team took home third at 7:38.2 in a close finish against Rutgers University. The team will be racing next weekend at the Ivy League Round Robin in Princeton, New Jersey.

Softball

Dartmouth women’s softball hosted its home opener this weekend when they took the field against Columbia University, winning two and losing one. In the first of three games, the Big Green pulled through with three runs to the Lion’s two in the final inning to defeat them 5-4. Third baseman Morgan Martinelli ’19 gave Dartmouth an early 2-0 lead after a two-run homer in the first inning. Columbia was able to take a 4-2 lead by driving in runs in the fourth, sixth and seventh innings, but the Big Green finished the final inning with three runs to take the lead for good. Breanna Ethridge ’18 year recorded six strikeouts in her 5.2 innings, while Heather Turner ’21 closed out the final 1.1 innings.

Later in the day Saturday, Columbia avenged their earlier loss to defeat the Big Green 3-2. While Dartmouth held a 2-1 lead at the end of the third, the Lions scored a run in the fifth and sixth innings to secure the win. The Big Green had several chances late in the game, but were ultimately unable to bring any runners across home plate.

On Sunday afternoon, the Big Green defeated Columbia 5-4. After a three-run fifth inning, the Big Green held a dominating 5-1 advantage over Columbia. While Columbia staged a furious three-run rally in the final inning against Shelby Wilkison ’21 and Turner, the Big Green hung on to win the match 5-4.

Next weekend, the team will travel to Princeton for another three game series.