The Weekend Roundup: Week 3

Track and Field

Men’s track and field travelled this weekend with stops in Princeton, New Jersey for the Sam Howell Invitational and New Haven, Connecticut for Yale’s Mark Young Invitational. The team had several standout performers over the weekend including, Henry Raymond ’20, who won the 1500 meters on Friday with a time just under 3 minutes and 50 seconds. Patrick O’Brien ’21 had a good showing in Princeton as well, placing second in the 5000 meters with a time of 14:37.61. On Saturday in New Haven, the team had several members post impressive numbers, especially Ethan Ruh ’20 who won the shotput event with a 15.54-meter throw. Donovan Spearman ’21 also ran an impressive 11.11-second 100-meter dash, which was good enough to give him second place for the meet. Looking forward, the team will be hosting a meet next Friday featuring Hartford University, the University of Massachusetts Lowell and the University of Vermont.

Women’s track and field travelled to Princeton and New Haven this weekend for the Sam Howell and Mark Young invitational track meets. The team was able to post several different impressive results throughout the weekend, including Nicole Deblasio ’19’s first-place finish in the 100 meters with a time of 12.19 seconds at the Mark Young Invitational. At Princeton, Lauren Sapone ’20, Georgia Fear ’20 and Claire Dougherty ’20 were able to take 1st, 3rd and 4th respectively in the 1500 meters, giving Dartmouth a dominant position in this event. Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 was also able to deliver for the Big Green with a first place in the 100 meter hurdles, posting a time of 13.77 seconds. The team is home next week hosting a meet with Hartford University, the University of Massachusetts Lowell and the University of Vermont.

LW Rowing

The Big Green lightweight team took on Princeton University, Temple University and the University of Delaware in New Jersey for its first action since November. It was a tough challenge given that Princeton is the number two team in the nation while Delaware is another top-10 team. The first varsity boat came in second at 6:33.9 behind Princeton at 6:19.7. The second varsity boat took third behind Princeton and Delaware with a time of 6:39.0. The third varsity boat also came in third behind the two teams at 7:02.1. The Big Green did not participate in the fourth race. Next Saturday, the team will compete in the Biglin Bowl against Harvard and MIT and will race Mercyhurst College in Hanover the following day.

M Lacrosse

Dartmouth’s men’s lacrosse team lost to Yale University 17-7 at Scully-Fahey Field on Saturday, April 7th. Yale’s offensive spurts in the first and final quarters, in which they scored six and seven goals respectively, allowed them to secure the victory, improving their Ivy League record to 4-0. Conversely, Dartmouth is now 2-7 overall and 0-3 in the Ivies. Midfielder Jack Korzelius ’18 scored four goals and goalie Alex Burnley ’21 made eight saves. After a vicious start where Yale recorded four goals in a minute and 20 seconds, Dartmouth did not rebound from the offensive barrage until 13 minutes into the game with Prince’s first goal, making the score 6-1. The men’s lacrosse team’s next two games will be on the road. On Tuesday, they will have a non-conference season contest against the University of Massachusetts Lowell. 

W Golf

Dartmouth women’s golf came in ninth after three rounds at the Harvard Invitational at the Oaks Club in Osprey, Florida. Harvard University came out ahead of the 11 total teams playing while the University of Delaware finished as a close second. On day one, three Big Green golfers birdied their first hole and the two others made par. Isabelle Kane ’18 had the best 18-hole score among the Big Green on Saturday with a 76. Jessica Kittelberger ’18 and Catharine Roddy ’19 finished strong on the first loop on Saturday as well. In the second round, Kane birdied two holes of the first nine but went three over in the back nine. Her efforts tied her for 27th out of 59 golfers on the first day. In the third and final round on Sunday, Kittelberger and Kristen Soh ’20 had multiple birdies and Roddy had one. Kittelberger’s four birdies left her one under par 71 in the round and tied for 19th place overall.The Big Green will play again next Saturday in Hartford.

Softball

Softball visited Princeton, New Jersey this weekend for a three game series with Princeton University. The series kicked off on Friday with a double header featuring Breanna Ethridge ’18 and Heather Turner ’21 as starting pitchers in the two games for the Big Green. Ethridge had a tough outing in her first game as the Tigers scored five runs and recorded seven hits in her 4.1 innings pitched. The Big Green offense was unable to respond to this surge and was held scoreless, resulting in a 6-0 loss. However, the Big Green avenged their earlier loss in the night game. putting up eight runs in a key 8-6 victory. On the rubber game on Saturday, the Big Green’s offense exploded for 12 total runs, six of them coming in the 4th inning. Taylor Ward ’19 came up big in the final game of the series with two home runs for a total of four runs batted in. The Big Green held Princeton to only a single run, securing the 12-1 victory.

Equestrian

The Dartmouth equestrian team competed in the Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association Zone I Championship at the Mount Holyoke Equestrian Center on Saturday, April 7. Thirty-one teams competed with individual Zone qualifiers and five schools competed in the Zones Collegiate Cup, which qualified teams and riders for Nationals; individuals and teams in the Team Collegiate Cup needed to finish first or second to qualify for the finals held May 3 to 5. In the individual Zone qualifiers, Big Green riders Olivia Champ ’19 and Natalie Ferneau ’18 had stellar performances to qualify for nationals. 

In the Zones Collegiate Cup, the Big Green missed qualifying as a team by one point, finishing in third overall behind reserve champion Boston University and champion Mount Holyoke College. Other notable highlights in the teams competition include Mahalia Dalmage ’21 placing first in Novice Flat class, Sophia Kocher ’21 taking second in Walk-Trot-Canter and Megan Poth ’20 securing second in Intermediate Fences. The team will host the Ivy Championship Show on April 21.

Sailing

Over the weekend, the Dartmouth Sailing team had several events in Connecticut, with regattas at both Connecticut College for the New England Team Race Championship and Yale University for the Wick/Shrew. The team had a strong showing in team race scoring as they were able to place third out of 12 teams in the New England Team Race Championship. Skipper Jack McGraw ’20 and his two teammates were able to battle the shifting winds throughout the afternoon and deliver a solid performance. The team had a tougher performance at Yale however, scoring 93 points in Division A and 84 in B to finish in 10th out of 18 total teams.  The College of Charleston finished in first with 97 total points. 

Baseball

An overnight snow in Hanover made it impossible to play the intended game against College of the Holy Cross on April 4. With the snow melted by the weekend, Dartmouth played three games at home against Columbia University. The Big Green won the first game against the Lions with a final score of 5-4. The team scored all five runs in their first two innings, and held on to their lead despite a late scare from Columbia. This was their 100th victory at Biondi Park. Dartmouth also won their second game of three with a final score of 10-4. They were unable to sweep the series, however, as Columbia came back to beat Dartmouth on the third and final game on Sunday 12-3. The Big Green will play again on Tuesday, April 10 at the University of Massachusetts, Lowell and will face Cornell University next weekend in New York.

W Lacrosse

Dartmouth’s women’s lacrosse team is now 3-1 in Ivy play after losing to the University of Pennsylvania in a close 13-11 match on April 7. The final score was very close, 13-11. The Big Green had been on a seven-game winning streak with a record of 7-1 overall. Dartmouth held a two-point lead at halftime and clung to an 11-10 lead with 7:37 remaining in the game. However, Penn rallied to score three consecutive goals while holding the Big Green scoreless, thereby securing the victory. Dartmouth’s Campbell Brewer ’19 had a hat trick and Tori Chanenchuck ’20 scored four goals. On defense, Kiera Vrindten ’20 stopped 13 of Penn’s 26 shots on goal. The Big Green will play No. 2 Boston College on Wednesday, April 11 in Chestnut Hill.

W Rowing

The women’s crew team hit the water at Lake Carnegie for the Ivy Round Robin, which included six of eight Ivy teams. At the end of the day, Yale University claimed the Yale Class of ’85 Cup while Princeton University won the Class of ’84 Plaque. In the Yale Class of ’85 Cup, the Big Green’s first varsity boat came in third at 7:05.4 in the Class of ‘85 Cup, falling to first place Yale at 6:52.7 and second place Penn at 7:02.1. Yale defeated Dartmouth’s second varsity with times of 6:58.3 and 7:13.8 respectively. The Bull Dogs also defeated the Big Green in the third varsity, as Dartmouth finished in third at 7:44.4. The Varsity 4A finished in third at 8:39.3 and the Varsity 4B also finished in third at 8:25.6. In the Class of ‘84 Plaque, the first varsity took second place at 6:42.9 behind first place Princeton at 6:35.2. The second and third varsity also took second place at 7:03.4 and 7:33.8, respectively. The 4A took third at 8:01.4 and the 4B took second at 8:14.9. The team will be racing again on April 21 against Boston College and the University of Rhode Island in Boston. 

HW Rowing

The Big Green heavyweight crew team fell to Yale University in all four races of the Olympic Axe this past Saturday. The varsity eight was short of the Bulldogs at 5:28.6 as opposed to 5:26.1. The second varsity boat lost with a time of 5:39.3 to Yale’s 5:32.8. The third varsity boat had a time of 5:45.8, short of Yale’s 5:37.0. Finally, the fourth varsity finished sandwiched in between Yale and its fifth varsity boat with a time of 5:47.9. The team will compete next weekend against Boston University at home. 

M Golf

On the first day of the Irish Creek Intercollegiate, Dartmouth ranked 13th of 15 teams with a final score of 610 (+42). Playing at Kannapolis, North Carolina on Saturday and Sunday, Jason Liu ‘21 led the team during the first two rounds of play, carding a 75-73 – 148 (+6). At the end of the first day, he was tied for 35th out of 87 total players. Two other freshmen also had stellar days for the Big Green. Sam Ohno ’21 had the best single round for Dartmouth, while James Turner ’21 recorded the most birdies with six total. On the second day and third and final round, Dartmouth finished at 60-over par to claim 14th overall in the tournament. The team will next play at the Ivy League Championship starting on Friday, April 20.