The Weekend Roundup: Week 8

Men's Tennis

Men’s tennis competed in the Eastern College Athletic Conference Indoor Championship over the weekend, beating Monmouth University, Princeton University and Harvard University 4-1 to earn its first conference championship title in team history.

Against Monmouth, Dartmouth dropped the doubles point for the first time all season but rebounded in singles to secure the 4-1 win over the Hawks. Charlie Broom ’20 led the way for the Big Green, winning in doubles with partner David Horneffer ’20 and singles at the No. 1 slot. 

Men’s tennis beat Princeton 4-1 in the semifinals of the championship on Saturday. For the second straight day, Broom and Horneffer won at first doubles, while Dartmouth’s second and third doubles teams lost, relinquishing the doubles point to Princeton. The Big Green shut down Princeton for the remainder of the match, with Broom, Dan Martin ’21 and Horneffer winning their matches at the top of the lineup. Max Fliegner ’18 clinched the victory for Dartmouth at fourth singles. 

On Sunday, the men secured the title with a 4-1 victory over Harvard, moving the team’s record to 12-0 and extending its best start in team history. The Big Green’s No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, consisting of Roko Glasnovic ’19 and Casey Ross ’21 and Peter Conklin ’21 and Fliegner, respectively, won their matches to give the Big Green the doubles point. Fliegner, Horneffer and Riccardi won in singles to seal the match and the championship for Dartmouth. 

The Big Green return to action this weekend, hosting the University of Iowa, Old Dominion University and Boston University over two days.

Ice Hockey

Men’s hockey had one of its best wins of the season on Friday, upsetting No. 7 Clarkson University 3-2 in a thrilling game in which head coach Bob Gaudet ’81 became just the second Dartmouth coach ever to reach 300 wins. Shane Sellar ’20 found the back of the net midway through the first period to open the game’s scoring. Clarkson’s Devin Brosseau equalized with just over two minutes left to play in the second period. Two early goals by the Big Green’s Charley Michalowski ’20 and Cam Strong ’20 in the third frame gave Dartmouth a commanding 3-1 lead. Despite outshooting Dartmouth 35-22 overall, Clarkson was unable to overcome the Big Green’s two-goal lead, netting just one in the final frame. 

Dartmouth carried its momentum from Friday’s win into Senior Night on Saturday, beating St. Lawrence University 3-1, with all three goals coming in the third period. St. Lawrence struck first, five minutes into the first period, but was unable to score for the rest of the game. Collin Rutherford ’21 netted the game-tying goal eight minutes into the third. With less than a minute to go in the game, Rutherford scored again to put the Big Green up for good. Quin Foreman ’21 scored an empty net goal 51 seconds later to seal the game and move Dartmouth to 12-13-2 overall and 10-9-1 in the Eastern College Athletic Conference. The men are currently fifth in the ECAC and second in the Ivy League to Harvard University.

Women’s ice hockey ended its season with games on Friday and Saturday against No. 2 Clarkson and No. 8 St. Lawrence, respectively, which both ended in losses.

Against Clarkson, the Big Green fell 4-0, behind two Golden Knights goals each in the first and third period. Dartmouth was outshot 46-23 in a dominating effort by Clarkson, which is currently 29-4-1 overall.

The Big Green ended its season with a loss 5-0 to St. Lawrence. Despite outshooting the Saints 11-7 in the third, Dartmouth could not capitalize on any chances. The women concluded their season 5-19-3 overall and 3-16-3 in the ECAC. The Big Green finished the year 11th in the ECAC, failing to make the make the ECAC playoffs as one of the top eight teams in the conference.

Basketball

Men’s basketball’s fell short against Yale University, dropping Friday’s game 77-65. The Big Green was down 12 at halftime and as much as 25 with six minutes left in the game. The men ended the game on a 15-2 run. Co-captain Miles Wright ’18 paced Dartmouth with 18 points and four 3-pointers. Will Emery ’20 added 15 points on 7-9 shooting.

Dartmouth returned to action Saturday at home against Brown University, winning 66-63 in exhilarating fashion. Chris Knight ’21 paced the Big Green with a career-high 18 points and eight rebounds. He was supported by Taylor Johnson ’18 and Wright, who each scored 15 points. After two ties and five lead changes, Brown missed a three-pointer with four seconds left to seal Dartmouth’s victory.

Women’s basketball had a great weekend, earning two important victories over Brown and Yale.

Against Yale, Dartmouth won a thrilling overtime game 64-62. Kate Letkewicz ’18 had a phenomenal game, leading the team with 29 points and recording her 1,000th career point, the 17th Dartmouth player to do so. Isalys Quiñones ’19 added 19 points to help the Big Green win.

The Big Green carried its strong play into Saturday’s matchup with Brown, winning 77-60. Letkewicz continued her dominance, scoring 28 points on 11-20 shooting. Despite trailing after the first quarter, the Big Green outscored Brown by 18 points in the second quarter, holding its lead for the rest of the game. The win moved Dartmouth to 14-9 overall on the season and 6-4 in the Ivy League.

Women's Squash

Women’s squash team had a strong weekend at the National Team Championships. The Big Green competed in the Kurtz Cup, the second national tournament in women’s college squash that includes ninth through 16th best teams in the nation.

The women started out with a resounding 8-1 victory over No. 15 Middlebury College. Five Dartmouth athletes won in straight sets, including Annie Blasberg ’20 and co-captain Rebecca Brownell ’18 at the first and second positions, respectively. Sandra Reiss ’21 won the only five-set match of the day with an impressive 11-3 fifth set.

In the semifinals, the team dominated No. 11 Williams College 9-0 to advance to the finals of the competition. Despite winning three matches against the Big Green in its matchup on Dec. 9, Williams was unable to get on the board on Saturday. Blasberg and Brownell continued their strong play, sweeping their opponents for the second straight day. Blasberg clinched her match in an exciting 17-15 third set.

Dartmouth faced No. 9 Drexel University in the finals of the Kurtz Cup on Sunday, falling 6-3 to end the team season 10th in the nation. The top of the lineup was unable to gain any momentum as all three Dartmouth points came from the bottom three spots in the lineup. Ellie Gozigian ’21, co-captain Zainab Molani ’18 and Emma Roberts ’19 won for the Big Green.

Lacrosse

Men’s lacrosse won its season opener against Canisius College on Saturday, winning 13-12 on a last-second goal by captain Jack Korzelius ’18, his third goal of the game. Richie Loftus ’18 and Matt Paul ’21 added two goals apiece.

The game was largely a back and forth affair, with Dartmouth outscoring the Golden Griffins 5-1 in the first quarter and Canisius rebounding to outscore the Big Green 5-3 in the second quarter and 4-2 in the third quarter to head into the final frame tied at 10. Korzelius’ goal with less than two seconds to play broke a 12-12 tie and secured the win for the Big Green. 

Women’s lacrosse fell in its season opener against No. 18 the University of Massachusetts 17-13. Elizabeth Mastrio ’19 led the way for the Big Green with six goals. Claire Marshall ’21 set a program record for draw controls in a debut with 11. At the end of the first half, the women were only down a lone score after a goal by Mastrio with a minute remaining. The second half brought renewed energy for the Minutewomen, who scored six goals in the first eight minutes of the second half. Despite a final push by the Big Green, including four goals in the final 11 minutes of the game, UMass’ lead was too much for the Big Green to overcome. In goal, Kiera Vrindten ’20 made 10 saves in the first half but only one in the second half. 

Skiing

Skiing beat out the University of Vermont, Middlebury College and 13 other schools at the Williams College Carnival with a score of 990 points. The Big Green dominated the competition with a first- or second-place team finish in every event. Brian McLaughlin ’18 took first in the men’s giant slalom on Friday and the slalom on Saturday. Co-captain Foreste Peterson ’18 finished second in the women’s slalom, finishing just over half of a second behind Vermont’s Paula Moltzan. She was joined by four other Big Green skiers in the top 10.

Despite placing five skiers in the top ten in the women’s 3.8-kilometer freestyle race, the women’s Nordic team took second in the competition. The women’s team was led by Taryn Hunt-Smith ’19, who earned her first career podium finish in an individual race with a final time of 9:20.02. Similarly, Gavin McEwen ’19 finished with his first career podium step in an individual race to lead the Big Green to a second-place finish in the men’s 3.8K freestyle race.

Skiing heads to Middlebury this weekend to compete in the NCAA Regional Championships.

Women's Golf

Dartmouth is in third place with a 308 (+20) after round one of the Florida Atlantic University Winter Warmup on Sunday in Boca Raton, Florida. Moon Cheong ’21 led the way for the Big Green, carding an even-par 72, good for the best individual showing of the day. Jessica Kittelberger ’18 was just one stroke behind in second with a 73 (+1). Maddie Nelson ’20 was third on the team in 14th place with an 80, while co-captain Isabelle Kane ’18 was three strokes back with an 83. Julianne Strauch ’21 rounded out the Big Green scorers tied in 19th place with a 93. 

Dartmouth sits in last place behind FAU and Brown University. Today’s second round concludes the tournament.

Women's Swimming and Diving

Women’s swimming and diving concluded its season at the Ivy League Championships, finishing in last with a point total of 475. Harvard University won the championship with 1,616 points. The Big Green’s performance was led by Mackenzie Stumpf ’21’s second-place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke, where she cleared the NCAA B cut and set a new school record at 2:12.61. Hayley Winter ’18 finished 12th in the 1,650-yard freestyle. Summer Martin ’21 touched in 17th place in the 100-yard freestyle. Maggie Pionzio ’20 finished in 12th on the 3-meter diving board. To end its season, the Big Green’s 400-yard freestyle relay took eighth.