The Weekend Roundup: Week 5

Basketball

Led by two double-doubles from Cy Lippold ’19 and Olivia Smith ’18, the women’s basketball team came out victorious against Brown University, winning 78-73 and improving to 10-6 on the season. The game was hotly-contested throughout, with 14 lead changes and five ties. The Bears controlled the lead for the majority of the game (26:32) while Dartmouth only led for 11:05 minutes.

Dartmouth played solidly in the first quarter, holding the Bears to a one-point lead heading into the second, and a five-point lead at the half.

With a little over eight minutes left in the game and at a nine-point deficit, Dartmouth battled back with stellar shooting and fast-paced play to seal the game away.

Lippold secured her second double-double of the season, and Smith secured her first. The Big Green had five scorers in double digits for the third time this season. The team also shot 48.4 percent from the field and 50 percent from 3-point range while making all of its free throws.

On Saturday, Dartmouth was unable to repeat its amazing shooting in the previous game, falling to Yale University 57-39. The Big Green fell to 10-7 on the season. Isalys Quiñones ’19 led Dartmouth with 13 points and was the only player to score double digits for the Big Green. Over the course of the game, Kate Letkewicz ’18 tied for fifth all-time in program history for three-pointers made with 162.

The Big Green face Cornell University and Columbia University this weekend at home.

Men’s basketball fell to Brown 64-62 after a buzzer-beater from Zach Hunsaker. Brown came out hot with a 13-2 lead in the first six minutes, and extended its lead to 14 in the first half. Dartmouth slowly whittled away at the lead, eventually trailing Brown by a point just 14.6 seconds remaining in the game. After a timeout, Dartmouth gave the ball to Will Emery ’20, who was fouled on a dunk attempt and converted one of his two free throws to tie the game. After missing his second, Brown secured the rebound and immediately passed to Hunsaker, who drove and banked a 10-footer to win the game.

Emery finished the game 7-8 from the field and 4-7 from the free-throw line. Emery’s efforts were unfortunately in vain; despite his career-high 18-point night, Brown walked away with the win.

Yale held off the men in a 74-64 victory on Saturday, led by a game-high 25 points for Alex Copeland. Taylor Johnson ’18 led the Big Green with 15 points and a career-high seven assists. Dartmouth now stands at 4-13 on the season and 0-4 in the Ivy League.

Yale led 45-35 early in the second half, but Dartmouth slowly made a comeback effort. Chris Knight ’21 brought Dartmouth within three when he made a jumper with just under 11 minutes to play, but the Big Green wasn’t able to get any closer, eventually losing by 10.

Dartmouth will play this weekend at Cornell and Columbia.

Ice Hockey

Women’s hockey stunned conference-rival Brown University with a 3-2 comeback victory led by a stellar performance from Tess Bracken ’19.

Brown took the first lead of the game just nine minutes in regulation. With less than two minutes to play in the first period, Bracken tallied her first goal of the game, evening the score at 1-1. Dartmouth outshot Brown 20-6 in the first frame but slowed its aggression in the second period. The Bears outshot the Big Green 13-9 in the second period and left with the only goal, taking a 2-1 lead into the final period.

Goalie Christine Honor ’19 was exceptional in the third. She kept the game close with a number of clutch saves, which gave Bracken an opportunity to even the score at 13:17. With just 45 seconds to play in regulation, Bracken fired her third goal past Brown’s goalie, Calla Isaac, to complete her hat trick and seal the game.

The Big Green did not fare so well as it headed from Providence, Rhode Island over to New Haven, Connecticut, where Yale University bested Dartmouth 6-0. Yale netted four goals in the second period to put the game out of reach.

An empty first period for Dartmouth and an early lead for Yale set the tone for the remainder of the game. Dartmouth failed to capitalize on early opportunities, as Yale ran away with a game that was closer than the box score indicates.

Dartmouth looks to bounce back at Thompson Arena with four straight home games in the upcoming weekends. The stretch will be the last homestand of the season.

Coming off of four wins in its last five games, the men’s hockey team was looking to continue its hot streak this weekend against Colgate University and No. 2 Cornell University.

Dartmouth topped Colgate in a close match, emerging with a 2-1 win. In his 99th career game, Tim Shoup ’18 put in the game-winning goal at 12:11 in the third period.

Colgate jumped out to an early lead at 5:08 in the first period, but seven minutes later, Dartmouth evened the score with a goal from Corey Kalk ’18. Devin Buffalo ’18 faced 11 shots in the final period and made 23 saves on the day, giving him an impressive save rate of 95.83 percent.

Heading into the game against Cornell, Dartmouth was 7-2-1 in its last 10 games; a strong turnaround from the 2-8-1 start to the season. Cornell scored the first goal of the game quickly, just over two minutes into the first period. Shoup, playing in his 100th game of his career, equalized just over four minutes later. The goal brought an end to the Cornell goaltender’s remarkable scoreless streak of 227:11, which is the 13th longest in NCAA history.

Dartmouth outshot Cornell 28-19 and saw several opportunities on the powerplay but came up shy. Cornell capitalized on an empty net opportunity with just over a minute left. With the win, Cornell won the Ivy League title outright.

Dartmouth looks to best conference rival Harvard University this weekend.

Skiing

After a strong performance last week in the Nordic portion of the St. Michael’s Carnival, the Big Green fell just 10 points shy of the team title to the University of Vermont after the Alpine events this weekend. The women’s team was dominant on Friday, taking second place in a competitive giant slalom race. Led by women’s alpine captain Foreste Peterson ’18, who put together two strong runs to secure her eighth career victory, the Big Green saw five total skiers finish in the top 10. The team’s 122-point effort fell just short of Vermont’s 130 points. In the slalom, Alexa Dlouhy ’19  finished second for the Big Green, just ahead of Peterson, Meg Currie ’17 and Stephanie Lebby ’20, who finished third, fourth and fifth, respectively. 

On the men’s side, Tanguy Nef ’20 excelled for the Big Green on back to back days, winning the giant slalom on Friday before throwing down a great run for a second victory in the slalom on Saturday. Brian McLaughlin ’18 and Kalle Wagner ’21 raced to fourth and fifth, respectively, for Dartmouth in the slalom.

The Nordic teams stuck closer to home, making a day trip to the Craftsbury SuperTour on Sunday. In the men’s 10-kilometer freestyle, Gavin McEwen ’19 crossed the line first for Dartmouth in 21st position, while men’s Nordic captain Luke Brown ’18 and Adam Glueck ’21 followed him in 25th and 26th place, respectively. Taryn Hunt-Smith ’19 led the way in the 5-kilometer freestyle for the Big Green, finishing in 11th place. Maddie Donovan ’21, the only other Dartmouth racer competing, was seven spots back.

Squash

Men’s squash picked up its seventh win of the season against No. 12 Drexel University at home this weekend. After a commanding 8-1 win, Dartmouth improved to 7-3 on the season.

Carson Spahr ’19 came out swinging with a 3-0 win, followed by two more three-game sweeps from Sam Epley ’19 and James Bell ’21. Toby Harding ’21 fought hard in a five-game match and came away with a well-earned win. In the second round of matches, co-captain Jack Harvey ’18 picked up another win for Dartmouth without dropping a game.

Women’s squash fell short against Drexel, losing 6-3. The Dragons had a hot start, winning their first four matches of the day.

Things started to shift toward Dartmouth in the second round of matches, as Zainab Molani ’18 bested her opponent with a 3-1 comeback win for Dartmouth’s first victory of the day. Ellie Gozigian ’21 followed suit with another 3-1 comeback victory. Drexel won the next two matches to seal the team finish, before Annie Blasberg ’20 came away with a five-set victory to round out the day.

On Sunday, men’s squash competed against the University of Rochester in an exciting 5-4 win. Brandon de Otaduy Nam ’20 battled back from a 2-1 deficit to pick up an important five-set win for the Big Green at the No. 5 position. The Big Green improved to 8-3 with the win.

Swimming & Diving

Despite strong individual showings on both the men’s and women’s sides, neither swimming and diving team was able to come out on top in their meets at the University of Connecticut this weekend.

On the women’s side, Dartmouth started off with a second-place performance in the 200-yard medley relay to open the meet. Co-captain Hayley Winter ’18 gave a dominating performance in the 1,000-yard freestyle, finishing nearly 10 seconds ahead of UConn’s Ryan Dulaney. She later came in second in the 500-yard freestyle.

Justin Sodokoff ’21 led men’s divers throughout the meet with a first-place finish on the 3-meter board and a second-place finish on the 1-meter board.

The Big Green had other notable performances on the day, including Josh Hendell ’20’s second-place finish in the 1,000-yard freestyle and Henry Patrick ’19’s near first-place effort in the 50-yard freestyle, where he fell just two-tenths short of first-place.

Both the men’s and women’s sides finished the meet strong, with first place finishes in the 200-yard freestyle relays. 

UConn beat the men’s team 178-119, while the women’s meet ended 186-108 in favor of the Huskies.

Tennis

Men’s tennis was undefeated this weekend, shutting out both the University of Buffalo and St. John’s University 4-0.

In the doubles matches, Dartmouth edged out Buffalo in the No. 1 and 3 positions, showcasing the young duo of Charlie Broom ’20 and David Horneffer ’20 at the top spot and Ciro Riccardi ’18 and Roko Glasnovic ’19 at the No. 3 slot to clinch the doubles point for the Big Green.

Dartmouth continued its strong play across the board in the singles matches. Max Fliegner ’18 picked up the first singles win, while Horneffer and Riccardi grabbed the second and third wins that sent Buffalo packing.

Dartmouth continued its momentum into the match against St. John’s later in the day, coming out on top in doubles after wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles positions, and sweeping the singles. Broom and Horneffer maintained their level of play, dispatching their opponents in quick straight set wins.  John Speicher ’21 won his match to close out the day for Dartmouth.

Dartmouth returns to action this weekend on a two-game road trip to the University of Indiana and the University of Louisville. 

Women’s tennis competed in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s National Indoor Kick-Off Weekend in Atlanta, Georgia, battling the University of Denver on Saturday and the University of South Florida of Sunday.

In a close match against Denver, Dartmouth fell 4-3. The Big Green comfortably took care of the doubles point early, winning the first two matches of the day. Top seeded partners Racquel Lyn ’20 and Kristina Mathis ’18 beat their Denver opponents 6-4, while Allison Chuang ’19and  Julia Schroeder ’18 clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 victory.

Dartmouth was edged out in singles, dropping four of six matches. Lyn was dominant on the day, securing her second victory to give Dartmouth a 3-2 lead over the Pioneers. Unfortunately for the Big Green, this would be its last win on the day, as Denver secured the last two points to claim the match.

In its second match of the weekend, Dartmouth bested USF 4-3. The Bulls claimed two doubles wins to propel USF to a 1-0 lead against the Big Green. 

In singles, Chuyang Guan ’20  and Mathis battled to straight set victories. Lyn and Allison McCann ’20  finished off the Bulls with hard-fought three-set wins. 

Women’s tennis improved to 3-1 on the year, while USF fell to 0-4. The Big Green hosts Boston College and the College of William and Mary this weekend.

Tennis

Dartmouth had strong individual performances on both the men’s and women’s sides in the non-scoring Boston University Terrier Invitational. Top performances include Nick Feffer ’21’s second-place finish in the 1,000 meter run, finishing with a time of 2:26.78, and Abby Livingston ’18’s first-place finish in the 500 meter run, with an impressive time of 1:14.37, nearly a second better than the second-place finisher.

Other notable performances include a seventh-place finish in the 5,000 meter run by Kyle Dotterrer ’18 with a time of 14:31.35 and a ninth-place finish by Will Shafer ’18 with a time of 14:33.85. Bridget Flynn ’18 led women’s track and field in the mile, finishing seventh with a time of 4:51.31. Lauren Archer ’20 and Grace Thompson ’19 also finished in the top-10 at ninth and 10th, respectively.

Four Big Green runners, Julia Stevenson ’20, Lillian Anderson ’19, Olivia Lantz ’19 and Leigh Moffett ’18, placed in the top-15 in the women’s 5,000 meter run. Miles Irish ’18, Pat Gregory ’18 and Henry Raymond ’20 finished in the top-20 of the men’s mile, placing 16th, 17th and 18th respectively.