The Weekend Roundup: Week 10

Basketball

Dartmouth men’s basketball trailed by one point with 2.7 seconds to play, but Miles Wright ’18’s jumper was blocked and Dartmouth lost its season-opener 78-77 to the Quinnipiac University Bobcats. Brendan Barry ’20 led the team with a career-high 19 points as Guilien Smith ’19 and Wright each had double figures.

The score was tied 21-21 after the halfway mark of the first half before the Bobcats rode out to a 42-33 lead. A 12-0 run early in the second half brought the Big Green back into the game. With 17 seconds left, Dartmouth tied the game 77-77. But the Bobcats’ Rich Kelly made a free throw with four seconds remaining and Dartmouth was unable to get a clean shot away before time expired.

Dartmouth shot .412 from the floor, a hair better than Quinnipiac’s .400. But the Bobcats made three more three-point shots than the Big Green and secured 48 rebounds to Dartmouth’s 32.

The Big Green will face Emerson College in its home opener on Tuesday.

Dartmouth women’s basketball began the 2017-18 season with a pair of victories, 66-56 over the University of Vermont on Friday and 68-57 against Boston College on Sunday.

Guard Cy Lippold ’19, starting at point guard in the absence of Annie McKenna ’20, out with a hamstring injury, totaled 20 points against the Catamounts. Kate Letkewicz ’18 followed her up with 18 points and nine rebounds.

The Big Green had opened up a 13-point lead by the end of the first quarter and led 39-23 at the half. The Big Green’s lead was as high as 18 in the second half, and though the Catamounts mounted a comeback to pull within eight points, Dartmouth held on for the win.

Dartmouth got in front early again against the Eagles, taking a 16-8 lead in the first quarter including three of five from beyond the arc. The Big Green continued to rain down threes, going 5-for-9 and finishing the half up 32-19. The Big Green opened the third quarter on a 10-4 run as Boston College’s offense continued to struggle. The Eagles shrunk the deficit to as little as nine points, but Dartmouth finished out the win with a final score of 68-57.

Cross Country

The women’s cross country team placed second at the NCAA Northeast Regional this past Friday and earned themselves a spot at the 2017 NCAA National Championship. The Big Green defeated third-place Syracuse University by two points, while Providence College won the race. This is the team’s 12th time qualifying for Nationals — the most by an Ivy League team.

Julia Stevenson ’20 had a strong race and finished ninth over the 6-kilometer course in 22:04.6, adding all-Northeast region honors in addition to All-Ivy League second-team from her performance at the Ivy League Championships. Olivia Lantz ’19 was just behind Stevenson, finishing 13th in 22:17.7. Ella Ketchum ’21, 28th in 22:32.2, Glennis Murphy ’21, 31st at 22:35.0 and Leigh Moffett ’18, 34th at 22:38.1 rounded out the scoring five.

The team will race again next Saturday, Nov. 18 in the 2017 NCAA National Championship Meet in Louisville, Kentucky.

The men’s cross country team’s season came to an end this past Friday as they placed 13th at the NCAA Northeast Regional. Race winner Syracuse scored just 28 points, while runner-up Iona College posted 48 points and third place team United States Military Academy tallied 218 points. While the outcome may have not been what the Big Green wanted, Pat Gregory ’18 lead the team in 36th place, completing the 10-kilometer course in 32:58.8. Marco Pompilj ’19 followed him closely in 41st with a time of 33:05.2. The remaining scoring runners were Sander Kushen ’19, 86th at 33:52.2, Ben Szuhaj ’19, 108th at 34:17.9 and Will Shafer ’18, 119th at 34:25.4.

Football

Jack Heneghan ’18 and Hunter Hagdorn ’20 connected for two touchdowns as the Big Green beat Brown University 33-10 at Fenway Park on Saturday. The outcome was never in much doubt as Dartmouth had opened up a 30-3 lead by the third quarter and outgained the Bears by more than 150 yards.

The Big Green scored on its second drive of the game. On first down from the Brown 27, Hagdorn broke inside the numbers and Heneghan found him just as he crossed the goal line. David Smith ’18’s kick was blocked, putting Dartmouth up 6-0. Heneghan went to work again after the defense forced a Brown punt, going 6-for-7 on the ensuing drive. With Dartmouth knocking on the door, Ryder Stone ’18 broke the plane on a 10-yard run, and the Big Green had a 13-0 lead.

The game looked to swing Brown’s way when the Bears scored a field goal and intercepted Heneghan two plays later. But Brown came up short on fourth-and-long following the interception, putting Heneghan and the offense back on the field. After a Heneghan-to-Stone first down, Heneghan connected with Hagdorn for 38 yards and went right back to the former Ivy League Rookie of the Year for a 16-yard touchdown. Smith made a 28-yard field goal at the end of the half to make the score 23-3.

On Brown’s first drive of the second half, Jarius Brown ’18 broke in front of a Thomas Linta pass and took it to the house, putting Dartmouth up by three possessions. The Big Green got another field goal early in the fourth quarter. Brown’s only touchdown of the evening came on its final drive, a 29-yard pass from Linta to Jaelon Blandburg.

The Dartmouth defense held Brown to just 1.4 yards per carry and 13 first downs. Eric Meile ’18 led the squad with seven tackles, while Ian Hanselman ’18 got Dartmouth’s one sack of the afternoon. On offense, Heneghan went 21-of-31 for 263 yards and the pair of scores. Stone paced the team on the ground with 63 yard on 16 carries.

If Yale University loses and Dartmouth beats Princeton University, the Big Green will win a share of its second championship in the last three seasons. A Bulldog win next week against Harvard University would give Yale sole possession of the Ivy League Championship.

Hockey

Men’s hockey dropped two games this weekend, bringing their record to 2-4-0, 2-3-0 ECAC. On Friday, the team traveled to Ithaca to take on No. 14 Cornell University and was shut out 3-0. This was the Big Green’s first road loss against the Big Red since 2012. Cornell opened up scoring with two minutes left in the first period and struck once again in the second period. The Big Red rounded out its night on a breakaway goal a little over a minute into the final period. Despite the loss, goaltender Devin Buffalo ’18 recorded 28 saves, with half of them coming in the first period alone. In comparison, Cornell’s goaltender Matthew Galajda only faced 16 shots over the course of the entire game. However, the Big Green was successful in killing all three of Cornell’s power plays, which has the highest scoring percentage on the man-advantage in the nation.

Dartmouth looked to come back during its game Saturday afternoon against Colgate University, but lost 3-2. Corey Kalk ’18 opened up scoring at 10:10 in the first to give the team an early advantage. Their momentum was cut short when Buffalo left the ice due to injury 16 minutes into play, but Adrian Clark ’20 came on in relief and only allowed two goals in the second period. His performance kept the team within one goal deep into the third period, until the Raiders scored on the empty net with 36 seconds left in the third. Matt Baker ’21 tacked on a goal with 8.5 seconds left in the game, but it was not enough to close the gap.

After a two-week break for the fall exam period, the team will take on the University of Vermont on Nov. 25 at Thompson Arena.

Women’s hockey fell in two games this weekend against Yale University and Brown University. The losses dropped the team’s record to 2-6-0 overall and 1-4-0 in the ECAC.

The Big Green were locked in a 1-1 tie with Yale Friday, but the Bulldogs pulled out four goals in the final period to win 5-1. Kate Landers ’19 responded to Yale’s power play goal in the second period by finding the back of the net with a little more than five minutes left in period play off an assist from Christina Rombaut ’20. The game was tied until Yale struck again 6:23 into the third. The momentum continued in their favor as they tacked on three more in the period to win, 5-1. Goalkeeper Christine Honor ’19 recorded 22 saves in the effort.

The team looked to come back against Brown on Saturday, but suffered a tough 3-2 loss. The Big Green opened scoring at 5:37 in the first with captain Hailey Noronha ’18, assisted by Rombaut and Landers. Landers continued her strong play this weekend by tallying the team’s second goal 10 minutes later on an assist from Alyssa Baker ’19. The Bears came back with a vengeance in the second, firing off 10 shots and scoring twice, once in even strength and the second on a power play for a hooking by Baker. The game remained tied until there were four minutes left in play, when Brown capitalized on a power play after a penalty against Morgan Turner ’18 for cross-checking. Dartmouth pulled Honor for the extra woman with 46 seconds remaining in the game but couldn’t score. Honor recorded 23 saves in the loss.

The team returns to action on Nov. 24 against the College of the Holy Cross.

Rugby

The No. 1 rugby team clobbered No. 7 American International College 80-12 in the National Intercollegiate Rugby Association quarterfinal on Saturday at Brophy Field. Five tries from Lilly Durbin ’21 and nine more from the rest of the team powered Dartmouth to its most lopsided win of the season. Undefeated Dartmouth will advance to the national semifinals for the first time in its three-year history.

In addition to the 25 points from Durbin, Frankie Sands ’18 and Becca Jane Rosko ’20 each added two tries while Milla Anderson ’19, Berit DeGrandpre ’20, Rachel Hand ’18, Marin Pennell ’21 and Danielle Ramsay ’19 had one try apiece. Kat Ramage ’19 knocked through four conversions and Alex Stendahl ’19 had one more.

Dartmouth held the visitors off the board for more than 50 minutes, opening up a 58-0 lead before AIC got its first points. Dartmouth built its lead to 70, before another AIC try and a final try from Sands brought the match to a close.

Saturday’s game was a rematch of last year’s NIRA quarterfinal which the Yellow Jackets won 33-29.

Dartmouth will face No. 5 Harvard University in the semifinal match on Friday at Quinnipiac University.

Sailing

The Dartmouth sailing team won the 2017 Atlantic Coast Championship, finishing first with a point total of 146. The Big Green also finished in ninth at the Women’s Atlantic Coast Championship.

In the Atlantic Coast Championship, Dartmouth picked up six top-five finishes in Division A and three top-five finishes in Division B, including a third place finish in the sixth race that put the Big Green in the top spot for good. Chris Williford ’19 and Rebecca McElvain ’19 sailed in Division A, while Duncan Williford ’18 and Paige Clarke ’20 sailed in Division B. Boston University was the runner-up nine points behind with a score of 155.

In the Women’s Atlantic Coast Championship, Dartmouth only picked up three top-five finishes across both divisions, spanning 16 races. Emma White ’19 and Peninah Benjamin ’20 sailed in Division A and Audrey Giblin ’20 and Sophia Diserio ’18 in Division B.

Soccer

The Big Green ended its regular season with a 1-0 win over Brown University this weekend away at Providence, Rhode Island. The team recorded 10 shots in the first half but were unable to find the back of the net. Brown’s defense proved to be strong, as the Big Green recorded another nine shots in the final 45 minutes of play but only scored once. Matt Danilack ’18 broke the tie with a header on a free kick from Dawson McCartney ’21 in the 76th minute. The same duo recorded the assist on the single, game-winning goal against Cornell last Saturday for the Ivy League title. Goaltender Christopher Palacios ’21 recorded three saves in the victory.

The team’s opponent for the first round of the NCAA Tournament will be announced Monday afternoon.

Swimming & Diving

The men’s swimming and diving team traveled to Cambridge, Massachusetts on Saturday and lost to Harvard University and Cornell University in a double dual meet.

Connor LaMastra ’21 highlighted the weekend with a first-place finish in the 200-yard IM (1:54.84). LaMastra also had a second-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle (1:49.79), one second behind Harvard’s Michael Zarian, and took third in the 100-yard butterfly (50.60s). Co-captain Henry Senkfor ’18 followed up LaMastra in the 200-yd IM, finishing in second by 0.25 seconds.

Dartmouth also had high finishers in the 100-yard freestyle, where Jack Mahoney ’19 took third (46.97) followed by Brandon Liao ’21 and co-captain Tony Shen ’18. Patrick Henry ’19, LaMastra, Liao and Shen made up the Dartmouth team that took second in the 400-yard freestyle relay. On the diving boards, Rey Neistat ’20 took sixth on the 3-meter board, the highest of the Big Green divers, while Justin Sodokoff ’21 was fifth on the one-meter board.

Volleyball

The Big Green finished its season with two big victories against the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University this past weekend, bringing its final record to 10-13 overall and 6-8 in the Ivy League.

On Friday, the team took on the Quakers at home and emerged victorious in three straight sets, marking the Big Green’s first win against Penn since 2006. The team started the first set with an 8-1 lead and rallied to 15-3. While Penn tried to come back and cut the Big Green’s lead to 22-13, Dartmouth was able to end the match 25-14 off of two Penn errors. The Big Green started off the second set with yet another lead at 6-2, but its margin was cut thin as the Quakers brought the score to 10-9. The match continued to stay close, but Mallen Bischoff ’21 got the team their final point to win 25-23. In the final set of the night, the score remained close until a five-point rally gave Dartmouth a 19-13 lead. Penn did not back down and climbed back to bring the score to 25-25, but the Big Green was able to end the night with a 27-25 win with a point by Tori Dozier ’20. Overall, Bischoff dominated the court with 15 kills and a .394 hitting percentage. Tola Akinwumi ’21 helped earn the team the win by tallying up three out of the team’s eight block assists, and Dozier recorded 39 assists and 10 digs.

The team was back in action on Saturday against Princeton. This was also the team’s first win over Princeton since 2015. The first set started off close, but the Big Green pulled ahead with a three-point streak and was able to close out the first set 25-19 on a kill by Samantha Bozoian ’19. The second set was even tighter, with the two teams tying 13 times. Princeton led by one point at 22-21, but Dartmouth had another three-point run and was able pull out the second set 25-23. The Big Green fought hard in sets three and four, but narrowly fell 25-16 in both sets. In the final set of the night, Dartmouth took a 3-0 lead and was able to remain ahead until Princeton narrowed the score to 11-10. With the help of two kills by Bischoff and one by Carly Tower ’20, the Big Green walked away with the win.