The Weekday Roundup: Week 6

Field hockey

Field hockey scored a victory Wednesday afternoon over the University of New Hampshire, 4-3, at home. UNH got off to a quick start when Bloem van den Brekel scored in the seventh minute. The game remained scoreless for the Big Green until Gemma Bautista ’19 tied the game with her first of two goals in the game, and her fifth goal of the season. Morgan Philie ’18, who assisted Bautista on both goals, followed in the top of the 36th minute with her third goal of the season. After a UNH goal to tie the game, Katie Spanos ’20 and Bautista gave the Big Green the lead for good within the span of two minutes. Spanos and Bautista are tied for the team lead with six goals each. Notably, the Wildcats outshot the Big Green 23-10, but goalkeeper Emily Wechsler ’18 recorded a full 70 minutes in goal, contributing nine saves and picking up her first win of the season. The Big Green return to action against Columbia University on Saturday at 12 p.m.

Men's soccer

No. 20 men’s soccer suffered a tough loss Tuesday night to No. 18 University of New Hampshire, 4-2, away at Wildcat Stadium in Durham, New Hampshire. The loss moves the Big Green to 8-3-1 on the season. Dartmouth got on the board first in the 37th minute with a header from Matt Danilack ’18 on an assist from Justin Donawa ’19. The Wildcats responded with three unanswered goals, including two from forward Robin Schmidt. Dawson McCartney ’21 scored on a shot from 10 yards out in the 85th minute to cut the lead in half, but UNH’s Jack Doherty responded four minutes later with what would be the last goal of the game. Chris Palacios ’21 spent the full 90 minutes in goal, recording one save. UNH’s goalkeeper Andrew Pesci recorded three saves on the game. The Wildcats outshot Dartmouth 12-9, while both teams had two corner kicks and seven fouls each. 

The Big Green will host Columbia University tomorrow at 7 p.m. The Big Green and the Lions are currently tied for the Ivy League lead, each with a 2-0-1 record in conference play.

Sailing

The Big Green hosted and placed second in the Captain Hurst Bowl over the weekend, while a second Dartmouth contingent took third in Yale University’s Yale Women’s regatta.

The breeze did not cooperate at Mascoma Lake on Saturday, and racing was abandoned in the late afternoon. Sunday brought a southerly breeze that allowed for nine races in the A, B and C divisions. Chris Williford ’19 and Rebecca McElvain ’19 sailed to one win and one second-place finish to place third overall in the A division. In division B, the pairing of Duncan Williford ’18 and Paige Clarke ’20 notched five top-five finishes. In division C, Erik Weis ’18 and Eloise Burn ’21 sailed to one win and three second-place finishes. The Big Green’s 173 points trailed first-place Yale by 39.

The 18 teams at the Yale Women’s regatta raced in northerly and southerly breezes throughout Saturday, completing five races in the A and B divisions. The next day, an 8-to-15-mile-per-hour southerly allowed for eight more races in each division. Emma White ’19 and Peninah Benjamin ’20 sailed for Dartmouth in division A, earning a pair of wins and fourth place in the division. The Green and White took first in division B behind the strong sailing of Audrey Giblin ’20 and Sophia Diserio ’18. The pair won five races and finished second in three more, running away with first place in their division. Dartmouth finished the weekend in third place, just 12 points behind winner Coast Guard Academy.