Provost Carolyn Dever will step down at end of fall term

In a campus-wide email sent Tuesday morning, College President Phil Hanlon announced that Provost Carolyn Dever will step down as provost at the end of the fall term on Nov. 22. An interim provost will be appointed and a search for a new provost will commence in the coming weeks.

Dever began as provost on July 1, 2014, serving as the College’s chief academic officer. Prior to her arrival at Dartmouth, she was dean of the College of Arts and Science at Vanderbilt University for six years.

Dever has "chosen not to pursue a second term as provost" and will remain a faculty member in the English department, teaching a first-year seminar next winter and then taking research leave to work on a book, according to the announcement.

As provost, Dever chaired the College’s budget committee, served on the diversity and inclusivity executive committee. During her tenure, the College introduced the Moving Dartmouth Forward initiative, launched its house communities, reorganized key administrative divisions and formed the School of Graduate and Advanced Studies. Dever also helped appoint Dean of the College Rebecca Biron, vice provost for enrollment and dean of admissions and financial aid Lee Coffin, Geisel School of Medicine Dean Duane Compton, Tuck School of Business Dean Matthew Slaughter and Irving Institute director Elizabeth Wilson.