Nearly 800 schools, excluding Dartmouth, sign letter to Congress on DACA

The American Council on Education sent a letter to top leaders in Congress on Oct. 19 urging them to protect those affected by the rescinding of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy. The letter was signed by nearly 800 colleges and universities, though Dartmouth, which is a member of ACE, was the only Ivy League institution that did not sign.

The letter came as a response to President Donald Trump's announced repeal of DACA policy on Sept. 5. Addressed to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, the letter asked that long-term legislation be passed to protect Dreamers.

"Colleges and universities have seen these remarkable people up close, in our classrooms and as our colleagues and friends," the letter stated. "Despite the challenges they face, they have made incredible contributions to our country and its economy and security. They should continue to be able to do so. If we are unable to protect these Dreamers, we will be shutting the door to an entire generation of individuals who seek to contribute their best to America."
ACE, which consists of over 1,600 U.S. member institutions, coordinated the effort on behalf of the Protect Dreamers Higher Education Coalition, which is made up of a variety of higher education associations. The letter echoed one sent by more than 800 business and industry leaders to Congress on Sept. 20 that encouraged a permanent solution to protect Dreamers.

On March 16, ACE sent a letter to Trump asking him to continue DACA. The letter was co-signed by Dartmouth, along with about 560 other universities, including all of the Ivy League institutions.

College representatives were not available for comment at press time.