The Weekday Roundup: Week 2

Men's soccer

Dartmouth kept rolling on Wednesday with its fourth straight win, a 1-0 victory over the University of Massachusetts Lowell. A shot in the 14th minute by Justin Donawa ’19 led to the only goal of the game. Midfielder Matt Danilack ’18 passed to forward Eduvie Ikoba ’19, who hit Donawa in stride behind the River Hawk defense. Donawa touched the ball over the outstretched leg of the Lowell keeper and found the back of the net with his next touch. The game grew chippy in the second half as the River Hawks, who dropped out of the NCAA top 25 for the first time in a year prior to Wednesday’s game, had few opportunities against the Dartmouth defense. A pair of shots by Donawa and Ikoba, the first bouncing off the post and the second saved by the keeper, were the closest either team came to scoring in the second half. Christopher Palacios ’21 played all 90 minutes and recorded one save in his fourth shutout of the season. Dartmouth is not ranked in the most recent NCAA top 25 but is on the bubble of the Top Drawer soccer top 25. Unless the University of Vermont, Princeton University, Hofstra University, Yale University or the University of Pennsylvania sneak into the ranks over the next three weeks, the Big Green will not face another nationally-ranked opponent until it plays the University of New Hampshire on Oct. 17.

Women’s soccer

The Big Green women’s soccer team suffered a tough loss Tuesday against Boston University, 1-0, at Nickerson Field. Dartmouth was outshot 15-4 with three shots on goal, two from Bianca Ribi ’18 and one from Remy Borinsky ’19. First-year goalkeeper Mariel Gordon ’21 tallied four saves over the full 90 minutes of regulation play. The lone goal of the game came 18 minutes in from junior midfielder Julianna Chen, who launched the shot from 20 yards out for her second goal of the season.

The team begins league play this weekend against Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. on Sunday.