The Weekend Roundup: Week 1

Rugby

Dartmouth made a statement with a 22-17 win over two-time defending national champion Quinnipiac University. The Big Green applied consistent pressure in the first half, and much of the action occurred close to the Bobcat try-line. Frankie Sands ’18 opened the scoring with a try in the 10th minute and added another try in the 31st minute. On the ensuing kickoff, Lilly Durbin ’21 scored the Big Green’s third try of the half and the home team went into the break ahead 15-0.

Quinnipiac scored and converted a try to open the second half, lowering Dartmouth’s lead to eight. The Big Green struck back, however, and consistent pressure in the attacking third led to a try by Idia Ihensekhien ’21 in the 54th minute. With the Kat Ramage ’19 conversion, the Dartmouth lead was back to 15. Quinnipiac continued to threaten Dartmouth, scoring tries in the 66th and 75th minutes, but ultimately, the Dartmouth defense preserved the upset.

Men's soccer

Men’s soccer opened the season by dropping a pair of 1-0 games in the Wolverine State. The first loss came at the hands of No. 13 Michigan State University, a team that reached the NCAA tournament last season. The Spartans’ DeJuan Jones scored the only goal of the contest in the 36th minute. The Big Green’s Tiger Graham ’21 led the team with three shots, while Wyatt Omsberg ’18 and Eduvie Ikoba ’19 had two apiece. Three days later, Dartmouth was shut out in Ann Arbor. The University of Michigan’s Francis Atuahene scored the lone goal as the Wolverines outshot the Big Green 18-6. Dartmouth traveled to Hartford University on Sept. 8 and got its first win of the season, a 1-0 overtime victory. Matt Ranieri ’21 netted the game winner, heading a Justin Donawa ’19 cross into the back of the net.

Henry Stusnick ’20 started in goal against Michigan State, surrendering a goal to the Spartans before yielding to Christopher Palacios ’21 at halftime. Palacios got the start in the next two games and recorded four saves against Michigan and one against Hartford.

Cross country

The men’s and women’s cross country teams opened the season with an easy victory in the Maribel Sanchez Souther Invitational. The field — which in the past featured Northeast competitors like Middlebury College, Keene State University and Bentley University — only included runners from Dartmouth and the University of Massachusetts Lowell. Both Big Green teams won the meet for the fourth consecutive year.

Dartmouth took seven of the top eight spots in the men’s race, led by Patrick Gregory ’18, who ran the 8-kilometer course in 24:56.82. Following Gregory were Patrick O’Brien ’21, Sander Kushen ’19, Ben Matejka ’21 and Sean Laverty ’20. One Lowell runner dropped out midway through the men’s race, making the River Hawks ineligible to score.

On the women’s side, the top 19 finishers all wore the green and white. Olivia Lantz ’19 finished the 6-km route in 21:33.15, good enough for first place. Ella Ketchum ’21, Glennis Murphy ’21, Bridget O’Neill ’18 and Bridget Flynn ’18 rounded out the top five.

Women's soccer

The Big Green kicked off the 2017 season with a two-game homestand. The season-opener against Florida International University was scoreless until well after halftime. In the 78th minute, Lauren Lucas ’19 received a ball from Bianca Ribi ’18, turned and shot the game-winner through the legs of a defender. Two days later, Dartmouth faced Stony Brook University. A Remy Borinsky ’19 penalty kick in the 29th minute put the Big Green up 1-0, and in the 69th minute, Ribi put a shot in the lower left corner to make it 2-0. A late Stony Brook shot went in off the hands of keeper Mariel Gordon ’21, but Dartmouth’s held on for the 2-1 win.

The next two games took the Big Green to California. Facing No. 25 Long Beach State on Sept. 1, Dartmouth was shut out 1-0. The 49ers outshot the Big Green 14-9, scoring the game-winner off the crossbar in the 54th minute. In Malibu two days later, Pepperdine University rolled over the Big Green 3-0. The Waves got out front early with a penalty kick in the 11th minute. Just before halftime, Pepperdine’s Brie Welch scored from the right side of the box to make it 2-0. The Waves tacked on an insurance goal in the 73rd minute.

Four days later, Dartmouth was on the other end of a 3-0 result. The University of Albany outshot the Big Green 11-7, but Dartmouth made its opportunities count, scoring early in both halves. In the second minute, Borinsky put the Big Green up 1-0. Then in the 46th minute, Alyssa Neuberger ’20 sunk a shot from 15 yards out. Neuberger added another goal later in the period as the Big Green cruised to victory.

The Big Green closed out its weekend with a 4-2 victory over Quinnipiac University at home. The Big Green put four in the net within the first 26 minutes, including two from Ribi. Brittany Champagne ’18 and Remy Borinsky ’19 also contributed goals. Borinsky also contributed an assist. Quinnipiac rebounded in the second half, led by junior Nadya Gill, who scored two goals, including one from a penalty kick.

Gordon started all five games in net, playing nearly all of the first five contests. She let in seven shots and saved 22 for a save percentage of .759.

Field hockey

The Big Green opened the season on Sept. 1 in Newark, Delaware. The team faced a stiff challenge in defending national champion University of Delaware, fresh off a loss to the University of Louisville — the Blue Hens’ first defeat since last September. Then-No. 3 Delaware proved too much for the Big Green to handle, as the Big Green surrendered six goals in the first period and three more in the second. Evie Bird ’19 netted Dartmouth’s only goal of the game in the 68th minute. The Big Green remained in Newark to face Longwood University. Dartmouth’s only goal of the contest came from Gemma Bautista ’19, the second of her college career. But it came late in the game with the Big Green already down by four goals. Longwood added a final tally in the 68th minute, bringing the final score to 5-1.

Home turf proved kinder to the Big Green. Dartmouth got a 4-3 win in its home opener against Rider University. The Big Green outshot the Broncs 19-18, and shots from Bird and Carmen Braceras ’20 found the back of the net in the first half. In the second half, Jocelyn Wulf ’20 and Tatum Schultz ’21 each scored their first career goal, and Dartmouth held on for the win.

Dartmouth completed its weekend sweep with a 7-2 victory against Bryant University at home. Senior captain Morgan Philie ’18 scored two goals, while Katie Spanos ’20 netted one goal and two assists. Bautista, Katie Persin ’20, Kira Koehler ’21 and Amrit Ahluwalia ’19 also each tallied one goal. Hailey Valerio ’19 spent the entire 70 minutes in goal, picking up her second win of the year.

Men's tennis

Men’s tennis opened its season at the Silverado Invitational on Friday in Napa Valley, California. On the first day of game play, the Big Green lost a pair of doubles matches to San Diego University. However, in singles play, Ciro Riccardi ’18, David Horneffer ’20, Max Fliegner ’18 and Charlie Broom ’20 all picked up wins against the University of Hawaii.The results from the second and third days were not available as of press time.

Sailing

The weekend was highlighted by the women’s team’s second-place overall finish in the Toni Deutsch Trophy, hosted by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The sailors manned FJs and Fireflies in a northerly breeze, with the 16 teams completing 15 races in each division. The Big Green finished in the top five in 18 races, winning four races in the B division.

The coed team sailed under a steady north wind at the Harry H. Anderson Jr. Trophy, hosted by perennial powerhouse Yale University. On the first day, the 16 teams ran nine races in the A division and 10 in the B division. Dartmouth opened strong and was as high as first place before several low finishes dropped the Big Green down to sixth. Despite strong finishes at the end of the second day, the Big Green finished the weekend in eighth place.

Dartmouth placed ninth in a field of 15 at Maine Maritime’s Penobscot Bay Regatta. The Big Green finished in the top half in fewer than half of the 16 races.

Volleyball

The 2017 season began on a low note for the Big Green volleyball team, which opened the fall play at the Cal Classic in Berkeley, California. In a 3-0 loss to the University of California, the Bears hit .419 as a team, their highest percentage in four years, while Dartmouth hit just -.087. Sara Lindquist ’18 led the team with four kills as Dartmouth fell 14-25, 14-25, 7-25. Facing Texas Tech University and Eastern Washington University on the second day of the tournament, the Big Green went 1-1. Dartmouth fell to the Red Raiders in straight sets, the tightest finish being the 25-20 second set. Tori Dozier ’20 had 25 of the team’s 28 assists. Against the Eagles, the Big Green picked up its first win of the season in dramatic fashion. Dartmouth won the first and fourth sets to set up a decisive fifth frame, where the team jumped out into an early lead and clinched the game win with a 15-8 triumph.

The Big Green hosted the Dartmouth Invitational over the weekend, facing Syracuse University, Iona College and Sacred Heart University. The Big Green started strong against Syracuse, never trailing en route to a 25-22 win in the first set. But the next three sets went to the Orange to give the visitors a 3-1 win. Dartmouth rebounded against Iona, hitting 0.251 as a team to earn a 3-1 victory. Dozier stood out again, earning a double-double with 33 assists and 14 digs. The Big Green closed out the tournament with a five-set thriller. Dartmouth played catch-up all the way through the first set, eventually losing, then coming back in the second set to even things up. Sacred Heart dealt Dartmouth a 25-10 defeat in the third set, but the Big Green regrouped in the fourth frame to tie the game once more. The fifth set was tight, as the score was tied on eight separate occasions. Finally, a Sacred Heart error broke a 14-14 tie, and a Mallen Bischoff ’21 kill sealed the deal. With one tournament remaining before league play begins, Dartmouth sits at 3-3 overall.