Quick Hits

Isalys Quinones ’19 Makes Puerto Rican National Team

Rising junior Isalys Quiñones ’19 of the Big Green women’s basketball team recently earned a spot on the Puerto Rican Women’s National Team. Tryouts were held the last weekend of June, during which the 12-member team was selected. The team will train throughout the summer to prepare for competition throughout the summer. The team’s first test will begin this week for the Women’s Centrobasket Championship, a five-day tournament hosted by St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands that will last from July 12-16.

Over the course of the tournament, Quiñones and the team will compete for one of three qualifying slots of the FIBA Women’s AmeriCup hosted on August 6-13.

On Quiñones achievement, Koclanes said that the program is excited to watch her and the national team’s progress throughout the summer.

Three Dartmouth Golfers Named WGCA All-American Scholars

Last week three members of the Big Green women’s golf team were named to the Women’s Golf Coaches Association (WGCA) All-American Scholars Team. The WGCA selected a total of 952 female collegiate golfers from all three divisions.

To be selected for the academic honor, student-athletes must earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50. Dartmouth students honored include Jessica Kittelberger ’18, Catharine Roddy ’19 and Julia Calbi ’19. All three-student athletes were selected the previous year with Kittelberger earning the honor for the third time.

Al Monte Elevated to Associate Head Coach

Al Monte has been elevated to associate head coach of the men’s heavyweight rowing team. Monte has served as an assistant coach under head coach Wyatt Allen since the 2014-15 season.

Before he started coaching, Monte was a four-year letter winner at Holy Cross College, helping his team to three Patriot League titles in 2005, 2006 and 2007. In addition, Monte represented the United States at the 2003 Junior World Championships in Athens, Greece, and was invited to the World Under 23 Rowing Championships Selection Camp in 2006.

Monte is also a two-time Royal Canadian Henley Regatta Champion and a six-time U.S. Rowing National Champion. Coach Allen commended Monte for his leadership and hard work that have positively impacted the program over the last three years.

Kalk Brothers Compete in Israel

Brothers Corey Kalk ’18 and Zach Kalk ’20 traveled to Israel to compete as members of Team Canada in the Maccabiah Games which takes place from July 4-18.

The Maccabiah Games, first held in 1932, is an international Jewish and Israeli multi-sport event that is held every four years. The games are open to Jewish athletes from around the world, as well as all Israeli athletes, regardless of religion.

Behind the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup, the Maccabiah Games are the third-largest international sporting event in the world. Corey Kalk is part of the men’s hockey team and was named an alternative captain for the team. Zach Kalk will represent Canada as a member of the men’s soccer team.

Both brothers spoke to the honor they feel in representing their country and the Jewish community.