The Weekend Roundup: Week Five

Women's Rugby Ivy League Championship

Rowing

Taking to the Connecticut River on Saturday for the only home race of the year, the No. 7 men’s heavyweight team edged No. 9 Brown University by nine tenths of a second.

Brown took the fourth varsity by 5.2 seconds, but Dartmouth won the third varsity by the same margin. In the second varsity, Brown won by just under two seconds. It all built up to the Atalanta Cup, decided by the varsity eight. After Dartmouth opened up an advantage of several seats in the first 500 meters, Brown steadily clawed its way back. As the two boats approached the finish, the Big Green hung on to win with a time of 5:14.8.

The women’s races alternated with the heavyweight races and pitted Dartmouth against an excellent Princeton University team. The Tigers, the top team in the Ivy League and No. 7 in the nation, swept all six contests. The varsity four C was the closest race of the morning, with 4.3 seconds separating the two boats. The No. 10 men’s lightweight squad had a busy weekend, facing No. 1 Yale University in Derby, Connecticut on Saturday before going east to take on Columbia University.

The Bulldogs swept the three races of the Durand Cup. In the third varsity, Yale pulled away over the last 1,000 meters to win by 13.5 seconds. In the second varsity race, Dartmouth could not keep up with a Yale move at the turn, and the Bulldogs won by more than 15 seconds. Yale built a steady lead in the varsity eight and crossed the line 11.9 seconds ahead of the Big Green, who clocked in at 5:54.0.

Dartmouth was also swept in the Subin Cup against Columbia University, with Mercyhurst University competing as a guest. The Big Green matched Columbia for the first 1,000m, but the Lions pulled away down the stretch, winning by seven seconds. Dartmouth’s second varsity lost by 12.4 seconds, and the third varsity fell by a margin of 13 seconds.

Women’s Lacrosse

The women’s lacrosse team picked up its first Ivy League victory of the season on Saturday at Yale University, outlasting the Bulldogs 12-11 at Reese Stadium. Down 8-7 early in the second half, the Big Green (6-8 overall, 1-5 Ivy) used a two-hour delay due to a scoreboard malfunction to recharge, scoring three straight goals within two and a half minutes when play resumed.

Courtney Weisse ’17 and Kathryn Giroux ’19 led Dartmouth’s offensive attack with three goals apiece, while Kierra Sweeney ’19 and Cara DePippo ’18 each added two more. Sweeney added two assists to the scoresheet to finish with four points in the contest.

While Yale outshot Dartmouth 40-26, goalie Kiera Vrindten ’20 continued her solid play in net, making 11 saves in her first Ivy League victory.

Dartmouth returns to action this Saturday when it hosts Brown University for Senior Day.

Men’s Lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team’s offensive struggles continued Saturday on the road at the University of Pennsylvania as the Big Green suffered a 9-4 defeat in its final road game of the season. With the loss, Dartmouth fell to 2-10 overall and 0-5 in Ivy League play.

Penn’s Alex Roesner opened the scoring at the 13:52 mark in the first quarter, but George Christopher ’20 stood tall in net to keep the Quakers from adding to their lead for the rest of the opening period. Penn got two more past Christopher in the opening five minutes of the second quarter. Richie Loftus ’18 finally got Dartmouth on the board at the 2:24 mark in the second quarter, and Jack Richardson ’20’s goal three seconds before halftime narrowed Penn’s lead to one heading into the break. Cormac Dugan ’18’s second of the season with a minute to go in the third and Loftus’ second of the contest just over four minutes into the fourth kept Dartmouth within striking distance. But the Big Green couldn’t muster any more offense, and three more Quaker goals brought the final score to 9-4.

Dartmouth was outshot 36-28, and Christopher did his best to keep Penn off the board, making 13 saves in the loss.

The Big Green, winless in the Ivy League this season, seeks to finish the 2017 season on a high note when it faces Brown on Saturday at Scully-Fahey Field.

Softball

On Saturday, the softball team — winners of eight straight — split a doubleheader against Yale University, winning the first game 6-3 but dropping the second 10-2. In the first game, Dartmouth ace Breanna Ethridge ’18 recorded another solid outing, going seven innings with three strikeouts and allowing only two earned runs. Leading 3-1 at the bottom of the fourth, Calista Almer ’20 singled to center field, recording two RBIs to put the game out of reach. The Bulldogs rallied to score two runs in the bottom of the sixth, but the effort was too little too late. In the second game, Morgan Ebow ’20 got into trouble early on, as Yale went up 2-0 in the bottom of the first inning and 4-0 by the third. Morgan Martinelli ’19 hit a two-run homer in the top of the fourth to cut the deficit to two runs. However, Yale’s offense was too much for the Big Green, as the Bulldogs responded with two runs in the bottom of the fourth and four more in the fifth.

On Sunday, the team played two more games against Yale. The first game was scoreless until the top of the third, when Alyssa Jorgensen ’17 scored on a single from Maddie Damore ’17. Ethridge continued her scoreless effort until the sixth, when Yale’s Madison Sack blasted a three-run home run, and suddenly the home team had a two-run lead. Damore knocked in another run in the top of the seventh, but the comeback came up short. Ethridge got the nod in the second game as well. Yale drew first blood, scoring a run on a wild pitch in the bottom of the first. A Jorgensen single in the third scored Lourlin Lara ’18, and the score was even at one apiece. Dartmouth took a 3-1 lead in the fifth when a Lara triple drove in a pair of runs, but the Bulldogs put up five runs in the bottom of the inning and held on through the next two frames to get a 6-3 win.

The team’s game against the University of Massachusetts, Lowell last Wednesday was canceled due to bad weather and will not be rescheduled.

Baseball

The baseball team beat Boston College by a score of 8-3 on Tuesday in its penultimate non-league game this season. The Big Green’s offense was led by Dustin Shirley ’18 and Michael Ketchmark ’17, who each recorded three hits and two RBIs. Clinging on to a one-run lead by the end of the fifth inning, the Big Green blew the game wide open with a five-run sixth, and Boston College couldn’t respond in the final three frames.

On Sunday, the team played the first of two doubleheaders against Yale University, losing 8-0 and 11-3. The first doubleheader was originally scheduled for Saturday but was moved to Monday due to rain. Michael Danielak ’16 struggled through 4.2 innings of work, surrending eight runs to the Bulldogs, though only four were earned. The Big Green only recorded five hits in the game. Designated hitter Michael Calamari ’20 was the only Dartmouth player to record multiple hits.

In its second game of the day, Dartmouth fell into a quick 6-0 hole after the first two innings with Cole O’Connor ’19 at the mound. At the plate, Calamari, Ketchmark, Shirley and Justin Fowler ’18 each recorded multiple hits and Kyle Holbrook ’18 knocked in two runs for the Big Green. In the end, Yale’s early lead was too much to overcome for the Big Green.

Tennis

On Saturday, the men’s tennis team squeaked out a 4-3 win against the University of Pennsylvania. Although the Quakers took a quick 2-0 lead after winning the doubles point and the No. 2 singles match, the Big Green rallied to tie it up at 3-3. In the deciding match, George Wall ’17 delivered by defeating Penn’s Nicholai Westergaard 6-4, 6-7, 6-1.

The next day, the team faced Princeton University and lost by a final score of 4-2 to close out the regular season. To begin the match, Dartmouth lost at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to surrender the doubles point. Eddie Grabill ’19 and Ciro Riccardi ’18 lost in straight sets to dig the Big Green into a 3-0 hole. All four other singles matches went to a deciding third set. Max Fliegner ’18 and David Horneffer ’20 topped their Princeton opponents, before Wall fell in a tight 7-5 third set to put the match out of reach.

On Saturday, the women’s tennis team defeated Penn in a 4-3 thriller. The Big Green jumped out to a 3-0 lead after the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles teams secured the doubles point and Kristina Mathis ’18 and Julia Schroeder ’18 won their singles matches. However, Penn rallied to tie it up at 3-3. The deciding match came down to captain Jacqueline Crawford ’17, who won the match 7-5, 6-7(5), 6-3.

The next day, the team beat Princeton 5-2 to close out the regular season with a 17-4 record. Dartmouth began the match well, earning the doubles point after wins by the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles teams. In singles, wins by Taylor Ng ’17, Crawford, Mathis and Allison McCann ’20 secured a 5-2 victory for the Big Green. With this win, Harvard University’s loss to Penn and Cornell University’s win over Brown University, Dartmouth clinched a share of the Ivy League title.

Sailing

The New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s Championship headlined this weekend’s action in sailing. Racing FJs, No. 14 Dartmouth’s A-division sailors notched one top-five finish over two days. The Big Green’s B-division sailors, racing Z420s, fared relatively better, with five top-five finishes in the 17-team field. Dartmouth finished in seventh, ahead of No. 8 Tufts University and No. 9 University of Vermont, earning a bid to the Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s National Semifinals.

The Big Green coed squad split up for the Boston Dinghy Cup Challenge and the Admiral’s Cup.

Host Massachusetts Institute of Technology won the Boston Dinghy Challenge Cup, with Dartmouth taking fourth. The Big Green’s A-division sailors finished with a total of 60 points — including six top-five finishes — the third-best performance of the weekend in the A division. The Big Green totaled 82 points in both the B-division and C-division. Dartmouth finished Saturday in fourth place and held on to its position through the end of the regatta.

The wind did not cooperate with the sailors at the Admiral’s Cup. Just two races were conducted across the three divisions in a light northerly on Saturday, with one more on Sunday. Dartmouth finished no higher than ninth out of the 18 teams competing, finishing the weekend in 16th.

Men’s Golf

On Friday, the men’s golf team began the Ivy League Championship tournament in Greenwich, Connecticut. Will Bednarz ’20 led the Big Green on Day 1 with a 2-over-par 74. His 16 pars on the day were the most of any player in the field. John Lazor ’19 finished just behind Bednarz with a 75. In his final collegiate tournament, Sean Fahey ’17 carded a first-round 76. Dartmouth stood tied-for-fourth at the end of Day 1.

Improving his first-round score by four strokes, Ian Kelsey ’18 led the Big Green’s Day 2 efforts with a 1-over-par 73. Fahey finished the day with a 74. Lazor and Bednarz struggled to continue their strong play from the first round, each carding a 78. Dartmouth dropped a spot in the standings to end the day in fifth place.

In the final round of the championship, Fahey played his best golf of the weekend, scoring an even-par 72. Kelsey and Lazor finished two strokes behind Fahey with 74s. Bednarz carded a 78 to match his second-round score. Individually, Fahey finished tied-for-eighth in the Ivy League field. As a team, Dartmouth was passed by the University of Pennsylvania to finish the year sixth in the Ivy League.

Women’s Golf

Over the weekend, the women’s golf team competed at the Ivy League Championship in Orlando, Florida. Catharine Roddy ’19 excelled on Day 1, carding a one-over-par 73 for third best in the field. Jamie Susanin ’17 scored an 82 on the day, while Tara Simmons ’17 and Kristen Soh ’20 each finished with 84s. Dartmouth ended the day in sixth place.

Roddy continued her strong play into the second round, scoring a 76 and climbing up the leaderboard into second place. Soh led the Big Green on Day 2 with a 75. Simmons and Susanin finished with scores of 84 and 88, respectively. Dartmouth was consistent over the first two rounds, scoring 323 on both Day 1 and Day 2 to remain in sixth place heading into the final round.

On Sunday, Roddy and Soh turned in 2-over-pars to lead the Big Green to a tied-for-fifth finish in the Ivy League Championship. Susanin played her best round of the weekend on Day 3, scoring a 76. Jessica Kittelberger ’18 scored a 79, her lowest round of the tournament. Individually, Roddy’s efforts placed her in a tie-for-third in the Ivy League.

Rugby

The women’s rugby team almost came away from a perfect weekend at the Ivy League Sevens Championship, but defending champion Harvard University tripped up the Big Green in the final.

Dartmouth topped its pool with three shutouts: 41-0 over the University of Pennsylvania, 38-0 over Columbia University and 12-0 over Harvard. Next was a 17-12 comeback over Brown University which sent the Big Green to the title match.

Playing for the title, for the second time of the day, Dartmouth took a 5-0 lead over the Crimson. But a try, conversion and penalty kick in the second half lifted the visitors to their second straight conference sevens championship with a final score of 10-5.

Track and Field

The men’s and women’s track and field teams split up this weekend, sending some team members to compete against some of the top track and field talent in the country at the University of Virginia’s Virginia Challenge, while others competed closer to home at the George Davis Invitational, hosted by the University of Massachusetts, Lowell. Field team members also participated in the Larry Ellis Invitational at Princeton, New Jersey.

At the Virginia Challenge, Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 placed sixth in the 100-meter hurdles final in 13.60 seconds. In the women’s javelin, Bridget Douglas ’18 placed fifth with a throw of 40.08 meters/131-06 feet. In the 1,500-meter run, Bridget Flynn ’18 placed 18th with a time of 4:25.28, while Katy Sprout ’17 was 15th in the 400-meter hurdles in 1:02.75.

In the men’s 1,500m, Henry Raymond ’20 placed 14th with a time of 3:46.62, while Amos Cariati ’18 was 16th in the 400-meter dash in 48.89s. In the 110-meter hurdles, Parker Johnson ’19 placed fifth with a time of 14.45s in the final and Alex Frye ’17 placed ninth in a time of 14.52s. Johnson also placed sixth in the 400m hurdles in 52.81s, while Alec Eschholz ’19 placed ninth in 53.88. In the field events, Corey Muggler ’17 placed fourth in the long jump invitational with a 7.27-meter/23-10-foot leap and seventh in the triple jump invitational with a 15.10m/49-06.50 ft jump. In the discus, Lucas Ribeiro ’19 placed third, throwing 51.52m/169-00 ft, while in the javelin, Cole Andrus ’20 placed eighth with a 57.50m/188-08 ft throw.

The George Davis Invitational featured first-place finishes from Folasade Akinfe ’20 in the triple jump (10.95m/35-11.25 ft), Amelia Ali ’19 in the hammer throw (52.59m/172-06 ft), Moriah Morton ’17 in the javelin (39.56m/129-09 ft), Miles Irish ’18 in the 800-meter run (1:55.40) and Colin Minor ’18 in the hammer throw (58.18m/190-10 ft). Also turning in top-five finishes were Maria Garman ’19 in the 200-meter dash (fifth, 26.81s), 100-meter hurdles (second, 15.13s) and in the long jump (third, 5.15m/16-10.75 ft), Abby Livingston ’18 in the 400-meter dash (third, 59.68s), Eliza Dekker ’19 in the 800m (fourth, 2:17.24), Julia Stevenson ’20 (second, 10:10.63), Lillian Anderson ’19 (third, 10:16.21) and Angela Ortlieb ’19 (fifth, 10:19.59) in the 3,000-meter run and Marissa Evans ’18 in the 400m hurdles (third, 1:05.65). In field events, the women received top-five finishes from Catherine Rozalski ’19 in the pole vault (fourth, 3.10m/10-02 ft), Jazz Van Loon ’18 in the triple jump (fifth, 10.32m/33-10.25 ft), Ali in the discus (third, 37.39m/122-08 ft) and Alexandra Collins ’19 in the hammer throw (fifth, 48.17m/158 ft). In the men’s competition, the Big Green received top-five finishes on the track from Adam Couitt ’18 in the 100-meter dash (third, 11.05s) and in the 200m dash (second, 22.46s), Benjamin Ose ’19 in the 200 (fifth, 22.84s), Sander Kushen ’19 (second, 9:17.34), Ben Szuhaj ’19 (third, 9:21.94) and Will Shafer ’18 (fourth, 9:23.15) in the two-mile run, Shawn Ohazuruike ’20 in the 110-meter hurdles (third, 15.61s) and Jules Hislop ’17 in the 400-meter hurdles (second, 55.55s). On the field, Tim Brennan ’17 placed second in the hammer throw (57.28m/187-11 ft), and Ose finished fifth in the javelin throw (49.32m/161-10 ft).

Brennan and Minor also competed in the hammer throw at the Larry Ellis Invitational on Friday night. Brennan threw 60.11m/197-02 ft for sixth place, while Minor threw 59.52m/195-03 ft for seventh.