Troy Crema '17 signs amateur tryout contract

The Rochester Americans announced the signing of Troy Crema ’17 to an amateur tryout contract on Friday afternoon.

Crema made his debut for Rochester, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres, on Saturday evening in the team’s 5-0 win over the Utica Comets but did not record a point. Yesterday, the team headed to Toronto, Crema’s hometown, to play the Toronto Marlies but was defeated 4-3.

ATOs are offered by National Hockey League, ECHL and AHL teams and provide players who are leaving college or who have graduated from junior leagues with the opportunity to test their skills in the professional ranks. They are regarded as a low-risk, low-cost way for a team to assess new talent and fill their ranks with healthy bodies as the grueling minor league seasons play on. There is no games limit for a player signed with an ATO, but the player is subject to being released at any time as they seek to earn a full-time contact with a professional team.

Crema led Dartmouth in goals (17) and points (29) this past season and was named to the All-Ivy First Team and ECAC Third Team at the conclusion of his senior campaign. The opportunity with Rochester marks the first step in Crema’s journey towards the professional ranks.

Correction Appended (April 10, 2017): The original version of this article referred to the ECHL as the East Coast Hockey League, when the organization now only goes by just ECHL. The article has been updated to reflect this change.