The Weekend Roundup: Week Two

Lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team dropped a 14-5 decision to Cornell University on Saturday afternoon at Schoellkopf Field. Attackman Wiley Osborne ’17 paced Dartmouth’s scoring with a hat-trick, his second of the season, as the Big Green fell to 1-7 and 0-2 in conference play.

The Big Red marched out to a 7-0 lead before Osborne netted his first just 1:46 before halftime. A two-goal third quarter brought Dartmouth within six before Cornell added five more in the final quarter to thwart the Big Green’s comeback. Cornell dominated the pace of play throughout the game, outshooting Dartmouth 52-30 and forcing goaltender George Christopher ’20 to make 16 saves, one fewer than his career high.

Timmy Burke ’17 led Dartmouth’s defensive effort with seven ground balls, while Ben Martin ’20 and Jack Korzelius ’18 also tallied goals for the Big Green.

The men returns to action this Saturday for a 1 p.m. faceoff at Yale University.

The women’s lacrosse team fell to visiting Harvard University 17-12 in an Ivy League matchup on Sunday at Scully-Fahey Field. With the loss, Dartmouth falls to 5-4 overall, 0-3 in Ivy League play, with the bulk of this season’s conference matchups remaining.

Despite jumping out to an early 2-1 lead, the Big Green was unable to sustain the early momentum and trailed 9-2 at the half. The two sides traded goals to begin the second half, during which Dartmouth outscored the visitors 10-8, but the Crimson had a response each time the Big Green appeared ready to claw back. Katie Bourque ’20 led Dartmouth’s scoring efforts with four tallies on the afternoon, while the team’s leading scorer Courtney Weisse ’17 added three. Taryn Deck ’17, Campbell Brewer ’19, Kathryn Giroux ’19 and Kierra Sweeney ’19 also found the back of the net in the losing effort.

Kiera Vrindten ’20 got the start in net for Dartmouth and made five saves before being lifted for Charlotte Wahle ’19, who made four stops in relief. Dartmouth was outshot 33-26 and came up with 15 ground balls to Harvard’s 21.

Dartmouth continues conference play this Saturday tilt at No. 9 University of Pennsylvania.

Sailing

Dartmouth sailors braved blustery weather to compete at three New England regattas this weekend.

At the Dellenbaugh Women’s Trophy, hosted by Brown University, the race report described Saturday as a “cold, very wet, windy and miserable day for sailing.” A building north and northeast wind caused many capsizes on the day, but nevertheless, the sailors managed six total races. No. 13 Dartmouth struggled in the adverse conditions, finishing the day 13th overall. Sunday’s weather was more suited to sailing, but while the temperatures warmed up, the Big Green did not. The A team notched a third and second place finish in its first two races on Sunday, but the B team did no better than 8th as Dartmouth sank to 15th overall.

At the Massachusett’s Institute of Technology’s Lynne Marchiando Trophy, meanwhile, the first day of racing was merely “a brutally cold day with snow, rain, icing” and a northeast breeze. The Big Green’s 11th-ranked coed team roared to an undefeated start on Saturday, besting seven teams in round-robin competition. The 7-0 day included wins over Sailing World’s No. 3 Boston College, No. 7 College of Charleston and No. 9 Bowdoin College. Dartmouth continued to sail away from the field on Sunday. The Big Green fell only to Boston College and Hobart and William Smith Colleges en route to a 12-2 overall victory over the field of 16.

Sunday’s Camel Team Race, hosted by Connecticut College, avoided the bad conditions of Saturday. Dartmouth went 1-4 in both rounds of the regatta, besting teams from the host school and Yale University.

Golf

Dartmouth men’s golf traveled to Farmville, Virginia over the weekend to compete in the Manor Invitational. On Saturday, the Big Green finished the first round with a 6-over-par 294, tied for third-best in the 16-team field. Sean Fahey ’17 led the team with a 2-under (70), the lowest individual Dartmouth score in the tournament. In its second round of the day, the Big Green picked up its play, finishing with a 1-over 289 and moving into second place. John Lazor ’19 carded a 1-under-par (71), improving on his first-round score by four strokes.

On Sunday, Dartmouth held onto second place, scoring a 3-over-par 291. Lazor, Ian Kelsey ’18 and Jeff Lang ’17 finished even on day 2 with pars. The University of Rhode Island began the day in third place but surpassed Dartmouth and host Longwood University to win the tournament. Individually, Fahey and Lazor finished tied for 10th.

The team returns to action this weekend at the Irish Creek Invitational in North Carolina.

Over the weekend, the women’s golf team competed in the Harvard Invitational in Osprey, Florida. In the first round on day one, the team got off to a slow start, scoring a tournament-low 321 and falling into eighth place. Isabelle Kane ’18 carded a team-high 7-over-par (79), while Catharine Roddy ’19 finished right behind her with an 8-over-par (80). In the second round of the day, the Big Green improved its play, scoring a 316. Roddy and Kristen Soh ’20 both bested their round one scores by five strokes, finishing with a 3-over-par 75 and 4-over-par 76, respectively.

On day 2, the Big Green further picked up its play, earning a 303 to pass Brown University and finish seventh in the tournament. Soh and Roddy carried their momentum into Sunday, each scoring 2-over-par. Individually, Roddy ended the tournament tied for 13th, the highest finish on the team.

The women will compete at the Hartford Invitational in Connecticut this weekend.

Baseball

The Dartmouth baseball team opened conference play this past weekend. The team’s schedule originally included doubleheaders at the University of Pennsylvania and at Columbia University, but heavy rainfall in the Philadelphia area postponed the doubleheader against Penn to Monday. A Wednesday game at Quinnipiac University was canceled due to rain and field conditions and will not be rescheduled.

The Big Green swept Columbia on Sunday, 6-2 and 9-2, holding the Lions to four total runs across both games of the doubleheader. On its way to a 6-2 victory in the first game, Dartmouth dominated the early innings, racking up seven hits and five runs in the first four frames. Trevor Johnson ’20, Matt Feinstein ’19 and Michael Ketchmark ’17 each finished with a pair of hits, with Feinstein contributing three RBIs. Michael Danielak ’17 pitched a complete game, his fifth win of the season, giving up two runs on eight hits while striking out eight.

In the second half of the doubleheader, Columbia took an early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning, but the Big Green responded with four hits and three runs in the fourth inning to take a 3-2 lead and never looked back. Kyle Holbrook ’18 hit a two-run home run and ended the day with two runs and three RBIs. Johnson also contributed a two-run single. The Big Green received a strong start from Cole O’Connor ’19, who improved to 2-1 on the season, allowing two runs over five innings. Michael Parsons ’20 closed out the final four innings, giving up no runs on four hits.

Softball

Dartmouth’s softball team played Columbia University and the University of Pennsylvania in two doubleheaders this past weekend.

On Saturday, the Big Green fell in two close games to Columbia, losing 4-3 and 6-5. In the first game, Breanna Ethridge ’18 pitched a complete game, giving up four runs on eight hits while striking out four. Maddie Damore ’17 contributed a two-run home run, her second of the season, but it was not enough to get the win.

In the second game, the two teams were tied up at five in the sixth, and after a scoreless seventh, the game headed to extra innings. Morgan Ebow ’20 pitched five innings, giving up five runs on 11 hits. Ethridge came in to provide 2.1 innings of relief, but Columbia’s Sommer Gryzbek hit a walk-off solo home run to left-center to complete the sweep.

On Sunday, Dartmouth split a doubleheader against Penn. Dartmouth took the first game, 8-5, with four RBIs coming from Karen Chaw ’17, who contributed a three-run home run and an RBI single. In addition to Chaw, Alyssa Jorgensen ’17 and Damore contributed two hits apiece. Ethridge again pitched a complete game, ceding five runs on seven hits with six strikeouts and was rewarded with the win.

In the second game of the doubleheader, the Big Green lost a nailbiter in extra innings, 8-7. The first inning saw Dartmouth take an early four-run lead highlighted by a two-run single from Tiffany Dyson ’18. By the end of the third inning, Penn evened the score at four. In the fourth, Dartmouth added two more runs to Penn’s one and looked poised to take the win when Penn’s Jurie Joyner hit a solo home run to tie the game in the bottom of the seventh. Dartmouth was able to score in the top of the eighth on an RBI single by Lourlin Lara ’18, but it was not enough as Penn tied the game in the bottom of the eighth and Penn’s Sarah Cwiertnia capped off the game with a walk-off RBI single in the ninth. Ebow and Ethridge contributed four and 4.1 innings respectively, and Dartmouth received a strong showing from Morgan Martinelli ’19, who went 4-for-5 with two runs and an RBI.

Track and Field

Dartmouth’s men’s and women’s track and field teams traveled to New Haven, Connecticut, to compete in Yale University’s Mark Young Invitational this past weekend. Both teams saw many strong performances.

On the women’s side, Julia Valenti ’20 won the pole vault, clearing 3.80 meters/12-05.50 feet in the fewest attempts, and Bridget Douglas ’18 won the javelin with a 38.57-meter/126-06-foot throw. Mary Sieredzinski ’17 placed fifth in the javelin with a 32.75m throw. Also placing well in the field events were Maria Garman ’19, with third in the long jump off a 5.39-meter/17-08.25-foot leap, and Amelia Ali ’19, who placed fourth in the hammer throw (47.94 meters/157-03 feet), fifth in the shot put (12.24 meters/40-02.00 feet) and sixth in the discus throw (36 meters/118-01 feet).

In the men’s field events, Max Cosculluela ’17 tied for first in the pole vault, clearing 5 meters/16-04.75 feet. Hendric Tronsson ’20 won the long jump with a 6.91-meter leap. Benjamin Ose ’19 placed fourth in the pole vault, clearing 4.55m. In the shot put, Ethan Ruh ’20 placed second with a 15.63-meter/51-03.50-foot throw, while Tim Brennan ’17 placed sixth with a 14.94-meter/49-00.25-foot throw. Brennan also placed second in the hammer throw with a 55.80-meter/183-01-foot throw. In the javelin, Parker Whims ’19 and Ose placed fourth and fifth, respectively, with 49.02-meter/160-10-foot and 48.69-meter/159-09-foot throws.

On the track, Miranda Lawson ’17 placed third in the 100-meter hurdles in 16.32 seconds and fourth in the 200-meter dash in 26.72s. Sieredzinski finished right behind Lawson in the 100-meter hurdles in 17.33s. Lauren Archer ’20 placed third in the 1500-meter run, completing the distance in 4:50.15, and Marissa Evans ’18 was fourth in the 400-meter hurdles in 1:11.77.

Jack Kerin ’20 won the 800 meters in 2:02.34, and Ben Colello ’18 placed third in the 110-meter hurdles in 14.87 seconds.

Rowing

Dartmouth’s heavyweight rowing team opened its spring season on Saturday, sweeping its races against both Columbia University and the College of the Holy Cross.

First up was Columbia. Three eights boats and two fours were scheduled to race, but the fours’ races were cancelled due to inclement weather.

The Big Green’s first varsity eights boat handily beat Columbia’s, completing the 2-kilometers in 6:51.5 to the Lion’s 6:58.3. Dartmouth’s second and third varsity boats both won their races, covering the 2-km distance in 6:47.4 and 7:11.5, respectively.

Later in the morning, Dartmouth’s first varsity defeated Holy Cross, 6:58.1 to 7:30.8, while the second and third varsity both defeated the Crusader’s second varsity, 7:15.8 and 7:38.3 to Holy Cross’s 8:16.9.

The women’s rowing team traveled to Cooper River, New Jersey, to kick off its spring season at the Doc Hosea Invitational against some of the best teams in the northeast, including the University of Pennsylvania, Syracuse University, the University of Minnesota and the United States Naval Academy.

In the varsity eight grand final, Dartmouth placed fourth in 6:42.95. Syracuse won the overall race in 6:30.4. Dartmouth’s second varsity placed fifth in 7:00.12 in the second varsity eight grand final. In the fours, Dartmouth won the varsity petite final in 8:02.9, with second place University of Massachusetts, Amherst nearly 20 seconds behind in 8:21.18.

Tennis

Harvard University got the best of the Big Green men’s and women’s tennis teams after both matches were pushed from Saturday to Sunday.

The men’s team played an energetic Crimson side at the Boss Tennis Center, where Harvard took the 4-1 victory. Dartmouth’s opponent opened by taking the doubles point with wins over David Horneffer ’20 and George Wall ’17 as well as Charlie Broom ’20 and Max Fliegner ’18. Wall evened things up with a 6-0, 6-2 victory in singles, but he would be the only Big Green player to win a match on Sunday. Following Wall’s victory, Eddie Grabill ’18, Ciro Riccardi ’18 and Fliegner fell in straight sets to give the afternoon to Harvard. Broom had taken his match to a third set when it was left incomplete.

The No. 44 women’s tennis team traveled to Cambridge, where it lost its Ivy League opener. The tight 4-3 affair was Dartmouth’s third loss of the season.

The women started strong by taking the doubles point behind winning efforts from Taylor Ng ’17 and Kristina Mathis ’18 (6-2) as well as Racquel Lyn ’20 and Julia Schroeder ’18 (6-3). But Harvard came out swinging in singles, with wins against Chuyang Guan ’20 at No. 6 and Schroeder at No. 4. Wins from Mathis and Lyn and a loss from Jacqueline Crawford ’17 set up a decisive third set between Ng and Harvard’s Erica Oosterhout. Down 5-1 to her Crimson opponent, Ng pulled back to 5-3 before Oosterhout put her and the Big Green away.