The Weekend Roundup: Week Three

Softball v Princeton

Player Calista Almer at bat

Track and Field

Both men’s and women’s track and field teams traveled down to Princeton, New Jersey, this past weekend to compete in the Sam Howell Invitational. The non-scoring meet was highlighted by many strong individual performances both on the track and in the field.

The meet kicked off Friday afternoon with the long distance events. Performances to highlight include Ben Szuhaj ’19 and Sander Kushen ’19 placing eighth and ninth in the 10,000-meter run in 31:11.63 and 31:15.71, respectively. Will Shafer ’18 finished 16th in 9:52.50 in the 3000-meter steeplechase and in the 5000-meter, Sean Laverty ’20 placed 27th in 15:12.50. On the women’s side, Dartmouth was well represented in the 5000m. Leigh Moffett ’18 finished fifth in 16:53.68, Diana Vizza ’20 was 16th in 17:26.71, and Lily Anderson ’19 was 18th in 17:31.08. The only event off the track on Friday night was the women’s hammer throw. Amelia Ali ’19 finished 11th in the event with a throw of 152-01 feet/46.37 meters.

The Big Green was well-represented on Saturday. In the men’s field events, Max Cosculluela ’17 won the pole vault, clearing 16-08.75 ft/5.10m. Alex Frye ’17 was fifth in the high jump with a 6-03.50 ft/1.92m leap, while Hendric Tronsson ’20 was fifth in the long jump with a 22-06.50 ft/6.87m jump. Lucas Ribeiro ’19 was seventh in the shot put with a 53-08.25 ft/16.36m. In the javelin, Cole Andrus ’20 and Ben Colello ’18 finished fourth and fifth with 199-10 ft/60.90m and 183-10 ft/56.03m throws, respectively. On the track, Parker Johnson ’19, Frye and Colello placed second, third and fourth in the 110-meter hurdles with times of 14.53, 14.64 and 14.78 seconds, respectively. Johnson also placed third in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 54.31 seconds, and Alec Eschholz ’19 was fifth in 54.80 seconds. Dartmouth had three compete in the 400-meter dash, with Amos Cariati ’18 in third in 49.23, Myles Holt ’20 in seventh in 50.44 and Zach Plante ’18 ninth in 50.57 seconds. In the 800-meter run, Phil Gomez ’17 led the way for the Big Green with an eighth-place finish in 1:52.15, with Henry Raymond ’20 and Trevor Colby ’19 just behind in 10th and 11th with times of 1:52.50 and 1:52.77, respectively. Pat Gregory ’18 was sixth in the 1500-meter run with a time of 3:53.48, while Reed Horton ’19 was 14th with a time of 4:01.16. Guy Green ’17 was 10th in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.17 seconds and ninth in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.89 seconds.

On the women’s side, Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 was second in the long jump with a 18-05.75 ft/5.63m leap, while Folasade Akinfe ’20 was sixth, jumping 18-00.50 ft/5.50m. Akinfe was also second in the triple jump with a 38-04.25 ft/11.69m jump. Julia Valenti ’20 placed second in the pole vault, clearing 12-07.50 ft/3.85m. Ali placed sixth in the discus with a 123-01 ft/37.53m throw. Bridget Douglas ’18 was fifth in the javelin with a 128-08 ft/39.23m throw. Miranda Lawson ’17 and Maria Garman ’19 were 12th and 14th in the javelin, throwing 104-10 ft/31.95m and 89-02 ft/27.18m, respectively. On the track, Rothwell placed second in the 100-meter hurdles in 14.02 seconds. Nicole Deblasio ’19 was fifth in the 100m dash with a time of 12.25 seconds and fourth in the 200m dash in 25.15 seconds. Lawson was 13th in the 200m as well with a time of 26.49 seconds. In the 400m dash, Kayla Gilding ’19 was 14th in 58.61 seconds. The Big Green had five runners in the 800m run, highlighted by Helen Schlachtenhaufen ’17 finishing second in 2:08.79, with Bridget Flynn ’18 in fifth in 2:10.42 and Claire Dougherty ’20 in seventh in 2:11.43. Bridget O’Neill ’18 placed fourth in the 1500m run with a time of 4:29.70. Katy Sprout ’17 finished seventh in the 400m hurdles in 1:03.91.

Rowing

The women’s rowing team competed in the Class of 1985 Cup against Yale University and the University of Pennsylvania at the Housatonic River in Derby, Connecticut. In the varsity eight race, Dartmouth was third with a time of 6:14.6 over the two-kilometer distance, with the team from Yale taking the win 5:59.9. The Big Green was also third in the second and third varsity eight races, with times of 6:29.7 and 6:47.5, respectively. In the varsity fours, Dartmouth finished third in 7:06.9 and was third in the B-race with a time of 7:12.5. Yale dominated, winning all five races during the cup.

On Saturday, No. 8 Dartmouth men’s heavyweight rowing competed against No. 3 Yale University for the Olympic Axe in Derby, Connecticut. Yale edged Dartmouth in all four races en route to earn a comfortable win over the Big Green. In the first varsity eight, the Bulldogs bested Dartmouth’s time of 5:27.6 by just over eight seconds. The Big Green rowed a 5:30.6 in the second varsity eight, while Yale finished in 5:23.4. In the third varsity eight, Yale’s time of 5:23.5 beat out Dartmouth’s 5:39.4, the biggest margin of the day. Lastly, in the fourth varsity eight, the Bulldogs edged the Big Green by just under two seconds.

No. 10 Dartmouth lightweight rowing competed against No. 4 Princeton University and No. 8 University of Delaware on Saturday. Late in the first varsity eight race, the Big Green got debris caught in their rudder, causing the team to steer into the other lanes. Despite the hiccup, Dartmouth fell to Princeton by nine seconds and beat out Delaware by five seconds to finish the race in second place. In the second varsity race of the day, Delaware and Princeton finished in 6:29.8 and 6:35.5, respectively, while Dartmouth finished in 6:56.6. In the Big Green’s third and final race of the day, it crossed the finish line in 7:00.4, while Princeton won with a time of 6:41.5.

Lacrosse

Dartmouth men’s lacrosse suffered a 13-6 defeat at No. 17 Yale University on Saturday afternoon. The Big Green were outshot 47-20 as the team continued to struggle on the road and dropped to 1-8 overall, and 0-3 in Ivy League play.

Leading scorer Richie Loftus ’18 led Dartmouth’s offensive effort with two goals and an assist. Attackman Ben Martin ’20 added to the score sheet with a goal, his 12th of the season, and an assist. Midfielder Jack Richardson ’20 led the team in ground balls with four.

In net, George Christopher ’20 continued his strong play against Yale’s high-powered offense, making 15 saves in the loss. He was relieved in the final minute of play by Griffin Miller ’19 who did not have to make a save as the clock wound down.

The Big Green look to get off to a better start at home against University of Massachusetts, Lowell on Tuesday evening. Dartmouth battled to the end against the River Hawks last year in Lowell before dropping an 11-10 nailbiter.

Dartmouth women’s lacrosse team fell 17-6 on the road at No. 11 University of Pennsylvania on Saturday afternoon. With the loss, the Big Green fell to 5-5 overall, and 0-4 in Ivy League play.

Elizabeth Mastrio ’19 (2), Courtney Weisse ’17, Taryn Deck ’17, Kierra Sweeney ’19 and Ellie Carson ’20 all picked up goals for the Big Green. Deck and Campbell Brewer ’19 were also credited with assists.

The due of Caroline Cummings and Alex Condon shined for the Quakers, as they torched the Big Green four goals a piece and kept Kiera Vrindten ’20 busy throughout the game. Vrindten continued to be a bright spot for Dartmouth, making 13 stops in the afternoon, including some big saves in the beginning of the contest to keep Penn from running away too quickly.

Dartmouth held a 12-11 advantage in face off draws but was outshot 39-19 as well as out hustled on the ground, as Penn held a 20-8 advantage in ground balls.

Dartmouth seeks to return to the winner’s circle on Wednesday at home for non-conference game against No. 17 Boston College at 3 p.m.

Tennis

A week after dropping its Ivy opener to Harvard University 4-1 at home, the men’s tennis team scored its first Ivy victory of the season against Yale University on Friday.

The doubles pairings of George Wall ’17 and David Horneffer ’20 and Max Fliegner ’18 and Charlie Broom ’20 scored the doubles point for the Big Green. The three singles wins for Dartmouth were in straight sets. The deciding match between Wall and Andrew Heller was a close match, with Wall pulling ahead 7-5, 7-5. The Bulldogs only point came from the match between Ciro Riccardi ’18 and Yale senior Tyler Lu, who is ranked No. 60 in the ITA rankings.

On Sunday, the Big Green notched a decisive 4-1 victory over Brown University. The duos of Wall and Horneffer and Broom and Fliegner started the day with doubles wins for the second straight match. Dartmouth took off from there, notching straight-set victories from Riccardi at No. 1 and Broom at No. 2. Brown got one back against Diego Pedraza ’17 at No. 6, but Wall sealed up the win shortly after with a 6-4 6-2 triumph.

The women’s tennis team clinched a victory against Yale on Friday after also dropping its Ivy opener to Harvard a week before. The women’s team defeated Yale 4-3 in a tight game that came down to the final match. Yale pulled ahead initially with victories by the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles positions. However, the women’s team dug in and pulled through, with wins from Taylor Ng ’17, Jacqueline Crawford ’17, Kristina Mathis ’18 and Allison McCann ’20.

Brown was not as friendly to the Big Green, as Dartmouth fell 5-2 to the Bears at home on Sunday. Strong wins in doubles — 6-0 at the No. 1 position and 6-1 at No. 2 — gave Dartmouth the doubles point. But Brown won five of the six singles matches to turn its initial 1-0 deficit into a convincing victory.

Softball

On Friday, the Big Green won 9-8 against Cornell University on a walk-off single by Alyssa Jorgensen ’17 . The second game was postponed until Sunday. Down two in the seventh, the Big Green’s rally started with a groundout by Tiffany Dyson ’18 that allowed Micah Schroder ’20 to score and tie up the game.

On Saturday afternoon, the women’s softball team won both games of a doubleheader against Princeton at Dartmouth Softball Park. The Big Green scored a decisive 6-0 victory in the first game before clinching a 6-5 victory from behind in the second game. The first game was scoreless through three until Dartmouth broke through in the fourth inning, when Claire Bird ’18 broke it open with a three-run home run to left field. Dartmouth scored two more runs in the fifth courtesy of a two-run home run off the bat of Maddie Damore ’17. Dyson followed up with an RBI single to allow Bird to score the last run. Workhorse Breanna Ethridge ’18 pitched a complete game shutout, allowing only five hits with one walk and three strikeouts on the day.

In the second game, the women’s team found itself down 5-1 after two innings of play after the Tigers scored four in the second inning. A home run from Morgan Martinelli ’19 in the third and an RBI single from Jorgensen in the fourth brought Princeton’s lead to two. The Big Green then put together a three-run fifth inning to take the lead. Morgan Ebow ’20 turned in five innings of work, giving up five runs on six hits, and Ethridge closed out the game with two scoreless innings to get the save.

Dartmouth defeated Cornell University on Sunday afternooon 3-1 in Hanover. Ethridge pitched her 11th complete game of the season, giving up one run on four hits with three strikeouts. The game remained scoreless until the bottom of the sixth, when Martinelli hit a two-run double and Bird brought her home with an RBI single to give Dartmouth a 3-0 lead. Cornell added on one run in the top of the seventh but was unable to string together a rally.

Baseball

The Dartmouth baseball team split a game apiece in its doubleheader against Princeton University on Saturday at Red Rolfe Field. The Big Green dropped the first game 4-2 but pulled ahead in a tight second game to win 7-6.

In the first game, Michael Danielak ’16 pitched six innings, conceding four runs on eight hits. The Big Green took an early lead courtesy of a two-run double from catcher Adam Gauthier ’16 in the bottom of the second but was held scoreless for the remainder of the game.

In the second game, Dartmouth and Princeton traded runs in the first and third innings, before Dartmouth pulled ahead in the fourth off of an RBI triple from Justin Fowler ’18 and an RBI single from Michael Calamari ’20. Fowler went 3-for-3 in the second game, with one run and two RBIs. Dartmouth extended its lead to 7-3 in the fifth inning off of RBIs from Fowler and Calamari and a run from Kyle Holbrook ’18. A run by Princeton in the sixth inning narrowed the gap to three. In the eighth inning, Princeton’s Paul Tupper hit a pinch-hit two-run homer to bridge the gap to 7-6, but Chris Burkholder ’17 was able to close out the game in the ninth inning. Cole O’Connor ’19 got the victory, after pitching five innings, giving up four runs on six hits with two walks and two strikeouts.

On Sunday, the Big Green split its doubleheader against Cornell University, falling in the first game 2-0 but taking the second game 5-0.

In the first game, Beau Sulser ’16 pitched a complete game, conceding two runs off of eight hits while striking out five. Matt Feinstein ’19 and Holbrook each went 2-for-3 during the game. Cornell’s runs came off of a solo home run from Will Simoneit in the fourth and an RBI triple from Tommy Wagner in the fifth.

The second game was a different story for the Big Green, as Dartmouth shut out Cornell 5-0. Jack Fossand ’18 pitched seven innings of one-hit ball, while walking two and striking out two. Michael Ketchmark ’17 went 3-for-4 with two runs and an RBI. Fowler continued his stellar weekend with a 3-for-4 performance and a pair of RBIs. Also contributing RBIs were Holbrook and Calamari.

Sailing

No. 4 Dartmouth had a right to feel confident ahead of this weekend’s New England Team Race Championship. The Big Green’s win at the Lynne Marchiando Trophy last weekend was its first New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association team race victory since 2002. The Green and White looked like a potential challenger to Yale University, the nation’s No. 1 coed team and defending national champion.

Given the strong performance at the Marchiando, the New England championship was a disappointment for the Big Green. Dartmouth finished fifth, barely missing out on a spot at the 2017 Team Race National Championship. Boston College and Dartmouth both finished 14-9, but two losses to No. 2 Boston College sealed the tiebreaker in favor of the Eagles. Also finishing ahead of Dartmouth were No. 1 Yale, No. 11 Massachusetts Institute of Technology and No. 12 Tufts University.

The regatta was held at Tufts’ Mystic Lake, the only boathouse in the nation with a full fleet of Larks. The weekend was likely a tougher fight than nationals would be, as eight of the top 15 teams in the nation are from New England, but the region only sends its top four to nationals. After the first day of competition, Dartmouth led Roger Williams University by virtue of the tiebreaker, but Boston College rode a strong performance in the Round of 8 to sneak by the Big Green on Sunday.

The No. 15 women’s team also competed at Coast Guard’s Emily Wick Trophy where it finished 12th in a field of 20 competitors. In 10 races on Saturday and five on Sunday, Dartmouth managed two top-five finishes in the A division and a four top-fives in the B division. Overall, the team was 12th in the A division and ninth in the B division.

Equestrian

Five Dartmouth equestrians traveled to Mount Holyoke College to take on the best riders in New England at the Intercollegiate Horse Association Zone 1 Championships. Two riders, co-captains Meg Rauner ’17 and Claire Bick ’18, nabbed spots at nationals by finishing second in their classes.

Bick earned her nationals spot in the intermediate flat class after besting five other riders in a no-stirrups test from the judge. In her novice flat class, Rauner rode well in a no-stirrups and counter-canter test to clinch second place.

Elsewhere in the ring, Sophie Lenihan ’20 was seventh in open fences, Storey Dyer-Kloman was sixth in novice fences and Charlotte Johnstone was tenth in walk-trot.

Also representing the Big Green at nationals will be Erin McCarthy-Keeler ’19 in the McDonald Scholarship Challenge and Olivia Champ ’19, the high-point rider in Zone 1 Region 2 in the Cacchione Cup.

Golf

Over the weekend, Dartmouth men’s golf competed in the Irish Creek Intercollegiate in Kannapolis, North Carolina. In the first round on Saturday, Will Bednarz ’20 led the Big Green with an even par 71. Sean Fahey ’17 and John Lazor ’19 also carded strong rounds, finishing with a 73 and 75, respectively. In the second round of the day, Ian Kelsey ’18 found his stride, scoring a team-low 69, seven strokes better than his first round. Jeffrey Lang ’17 also scored his best round of the tournament in the second round, a one-over-par 72. The Big Green finished the day in 13th place.

On day two, Lazor scored a 73 to lead Dartmouth’s final round efforts. Lang ended his weekend with a 76. As a team, the Big Green dropped one spot on the day to finish the tournament in 14th place.

Dartmouth men’s golf has two weeks off before the Ivy League Championship in Greenwich, Connecticut on April 21-23.

Dartmouth women’s golf traveled to Annapolis, Maryland over the weekend to compete in the Navy Spring Invitational. On day one, Jamie Susanin ’17 led the Big Green with a 79, while teammates Maddie Nelson ’20 and Jessica Kittelberger ’18 finished with 82s. Dartmouth finished the day tied for fifth with host United States Naval Academy.

On Sunday, Dartmouth matched the best round of anyone in the 12-team field with a team score of 310. Tara Simmons ’17 carded a 74, the lowest round of the day and the best round of any Big Green player in the tournament, improving her first-round score by 17 strokes. Kittelberger and Susanin continued their strong play, finishing with scores of 75 and 79, respectively. Individually, Kittelberger’s performance was tied for fourth best in the field, while Susanin’s was tied for sixth best. Behind the big day two effort, Dartmouth finished the tournament in third place.

The Big Green has two weeks off until the Ivy League Championships on April 21-23.