The Weekend Roundup: Week One

Men's Tennis

Baseball

On Tuesday, March 21, Dartmouth defeated the University of Chicago 19-11. Michael Ketchmark ’17 led the Big Green with a career high five hits and six RBIs. Although Chicago held an early 10-8 lead after the third inning, the Big Green responded by scoring an astounding eight runs in the eighth inning. 

On Wednesday, the team fell to Bethune-Cookman University 9-2. Despite an early 1-0 lead for the Big Green, the Wildcats totaled 10 hits and took advantage of a couple of key errors to put the game out of reach.

On Thursday, the Big Green defeated the University of Southern Maine 9-1. Matt Feinstein ’19 and Kyle Holbrook ’18 led the team’s offensive burst with three hits and three runs respectively. 

The following day, the team squeaked by the No. 26 University of Central Florida 4-3. With the game tied at 3-3, Feinstein scored the winning run in the top of the ninth due to an error. 

On Saturday, the Big Green again defeated UCF, this time by a score of 4-1. Pitcher Michael Danielak ’16, who has now won all four of his starts this season, only allowed six hits while pitching eight strikeouts through eight innings. Chris Burkholder ’17 closed out a scoreless ninth inning to secure the win. 

The Big Green was denied a series sweep on Sunday. UCF scored 15 unanswered runs to take the final game of the series, 15-0. The loss ended the Big Green’s three-game win streak.

Men’s Lacrosse

On March 18, Dartmouth men’s lacrosse traveled to Chapel Hill, North Carolina to face the No. 7 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Tarheels, a perennial college lacrosse powerhouse. Though the score was tied 2-2 at the end of the first quarter, UNC eventually pulled away from the Big Green, winning 17-6. Richie Loftus ’18 led Dartmouth with three goals, while Ben Martin ’20 netted two of his own. George Christopher ’20 made 11 saves in 55 minutes of action, before relinquishing the net to Griffin Miller ’19, who made his season debut. 

Three days later, in its final game before conference play, Dartmouth men’s lacrosse fell 11-6 to the United States Naval Academy. Loftus and Martin continued their strong play, scoring two and three goals, respectively. Loftus also assisted three goals to bring his point total to five on the day. 

On Saturday, the Big Green hosted Harvard University to begin the Ivy League season. Dartmouth got off to a slow start, surrendering 10 goals in the first half of play. For the rest of the game, the Big Green kept Harvard at bay, only allowing four more goals but eventually falling 14-7. Wiley Osborne ’17 and Jack Korzelius ’18 tallied two points apiece. The loss brought Dartmouth’s record to 1-6 overall and 0-1 in the Ivy League. 

Dartmouth men’s lacrosse returns to action next Saturday on the road versus Cornell University.

Women’s Lacrosse

Over spring break, Dartmouth women’s lacrosse hosted two of the best teams in the country, No. 4 University of Southern California and No. 5 Princeton University. Against USC on March 17, the Big Green started strong, with Courtney Weisse ’17 scoring the first three goals of the game. Early in the second half, down three, Weisse netted her fourth and Cara DePippo ’18 scored two goals of her own to tie the game 8-8. In the last 25 minutes of the game, the Trojans showed why they are fourth in the nation, holding the Big Green scoreless, while putting in 11 of their own, en route to a 19-8 win in Hanover. 

In the conference opener on Saturday, Dartmouth struggled in the opening half against Princeton. Princeton scored eight unanswered goals to start the game and led Dartmouth by nine at halftime. The Big Green responded well in the second half, scoring seven goals, but were unable to overcome their early deficit, falling 18-8. DePippo, Kathryn Giroux ’19, and Kierra Sweeney ’19 each scored two goals for the home team. 

After beginning the year with four straight wins, Dartmouth’s record now stands at 4-3 and 0-2 in the Ivy League. The Big Green play Siena College in Loudonville, New York on Wednesday.

Men’s Golf

Over the weekend, Dartmouth men’s golf traveled to Greenville, South Carolina to compete in the three-day Furman Intercollegiate tournament. The Big Green started the tournament well, scoring a three-under-par 285 on day one and trailing leader Georgia Southern University by just six strokes. John Lazor ’19 led Dartmouth with a score of 69 (-3), while Ian Kelsey ’18, Sean Fahey ’17 and Will Bednarz ’20 finished at even par. 

The Big Green carded a one-over 289 on day two of the tournament, dropping the team into a tie for seventh place. Bednarz led the way for the Dartmouth, scoring a 71 (-1) for the day. Jeff Lang ’17 eagled the sixth hole of the tournament, eventually finishing at even par. Lazor and Fahey shot 73s (+1) on day two. Competing individually, Riley Griffin ’20 carded an even 72.

Dartmouth finished the tournament in 13th place, scoring 876 (+12). Lang posted the best score with a 72 on day three, finishing as the low-scorer for the Big Green overall in the tournament.

Women’s Golf

Dartmouth women’s golf began the three-day Babs Steffens Invitational in DeLand, Florida this weekend. The Big Green finished the day with a 304 (+16), tied for fourth with Xavier University. Jamie Susanin ’17 led Dartmouth with a one-under 71, tied for the best round of the first day with Boston University’s Zhangcheng Guo. Catharine Roddy ’19 finished right behind Susanin, carding an even 72, good for third-place individually. 

Jessica Kittelberger ’18 had an excellent day in the second round on day two, shooting one-under par including five birdies to lead Dartmouth to the second-best score of the day with nine-over 297.

Softball

On Tuesday, the Big Green dropped both of its games against Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles 8-0 and 19-2. In the first game, LMU took control after scoring six runs in the fourth inning off Breanna Ethridge ’18. The Lions also dominated the second game, taking a commanding 19-1 lead by the bottom of the fourth inning. 

On Friday, the Big Green dropped both of its games against Brigham Young University 4-0 and 5-1 in the first day of the UCLA tournament in Los Angeles. The Big Green struggled to score, recording 2 and 5 hits in the first and second games, respectively. In the second game, Ethridge recorded an impressive six strikeouts and just one walk, but allowed a three-run homer in the seventh inning. 

On Saturday, the team split its two games, falling against the University of the Pacific 14-5 but defeating the University of California, Riverside 5-2. In the first game, the Tigers scored five runs off Morgan Ebow ’20 in the bottom of the first inning and cruised on to an easy victory. In the second game, the Highlanders led early 2-1, but the Big Green rallied to tie it up at 2-2 by the end of the sixth inning. In the top of the seventh, an RBI through Karen Chaw ’17’s single and two RBIs through Chloe Madill ’17’s double secured the Big Green’s victory. The impressive performance marked the Big Green’s first victory of the season.

The team concluded their west coast trip with a 4-2 loss to UCLA, which is currently ranked 15th in the country. Dartmouth and UCLA traded runs, until the fourth inning when UCLA took a 3-1 lead. Alyssa Jorgensen ’17 singled in the seventh inning to bring the lead to 3-2, but the Big Green was not able to close the gap.

Men’s Tennis

On Tuesday, Dartmouth pulled out a 4-3 nail-biter against Louisiana State University. The Big Green claimed the doubles point and proceeded to win the singles matches at the third, fourth and fifth spots to secure the victory. With the match score tied at 3-3, George Wall ’17 soundly defeated LSU’s Nikola Samardzic 6-3, 7-6(3). 

On Thursday, the Big Green fell to No. 30 Tulane University 4-1 at the City Park Pepsi Tennis Center. Although the Big Green continued its strong doubles play and claimed the doubles point, the Green Wave swept the singles matches to secure the win.

On Friday, the team defeated No. 46 South Alabama 4-2 for its first ranked win of the season. The team once against continued its strong doubles play. In singles, Wall clinched the team victory with a final score of 2-6, 6-4, 6-1. The team is now 7-10 overall. 

Women’s Tennis

On Thursday, the No. 39 Big Green defeated powerhouse California State University, Long Beach 4-3 for the first time ever. The team got off to a blazing start with two doubles wins and a win at the No. 6 singles position, but Long Beach rallied to tie the overall match score at 3-3. In the deciding match at the No. 2 singles position, Jacqueline Crawford ’17 delivered by defeating Long Beach’s Julie Gerard in a thrilling 7-6(7-4), 3-6, 6-2 match.

Track & Field

On Friday and Saturday, the men’s track & field team competed in the non-scoring North Carolina State’s Raleigh Relays at Paul Derr Stadium. The highlight performance was Justin Donawa ’19’s 15.38 meter/50-5.5 foot triple jump, a height five inches better than the second-place collegiate finish. In the javelin event, Cole Andrus ’20 took fourth with a throw of 63.45 meters. In the pole vault, Max Cosculluela ’17 finished in second by clearing 4.61 meters. In the high jump event, Alex Frye ’17 finished in third with a 1.95 meter jump. 

The women’s team also competed in NC State’s Raleigh Relays. The highlight performance was Helen Schlachtenhaufen ’17’s first-place finish in the 1500-meter run, recording a time of 4:18.25. Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 secured an impressive fourth-place finish in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.99 seconds. In the pole vault event, Julia Valenti ’20 took fifth with a height of 3.65 meters. In the javelin, Moriah Morton ’17 recorded a distance of 43.19 meters, securing her fifth-place finish.