The Midweek Roundup: Week One

Women's Golf

The women’s golf team finished fourth out of 11 teams on Monday at the Babs Steffens Invitational in DeLand, Florida. St. Leo University, Boston University and host Stetson University outpaced the Big Green. Two St. Leo golfers, Amanda Jakobsson and Marie Coors, shot 4- and 3-under-par, respectively.

Jamie Susanin ’17 tied for third place at 5-over-par after hitting one of the best opening rounds of 71. Jessica Kittelberger ’18 tied for 13th place at 10 over, finishing with 13 birdies over the course of the weekend, the best of the tournament’s 62 competitors.

The Big Green will continue its spring season with the Harvard Invitational at Sarasota, Florida this weekend.

Women's Lacrosse

Courtney Weisse ’17 and Elizabeth Mastrio ’19 stole the show on Wednesday in Loudonville, New York, netting five and four goals, respectively, against hosts Siena College. The duo each netted a goal in the opening minutes of the game, and the Big Green never looked back, finishing 16-6 over the hosts.

Just over 10 minutes into the game, Dartmouth found itself ahead with seven unanswered goals, the final of which was Weisse’s 22nd of the season. Only in the final minutes of the game did Siena go on any sort of streak at all, scoring three goals within the last six minutes. In the last minute, Dartmouth extended its lead with two more goals.

Draw controls told the story of the day. The Big Green outdrew the Saints 21-2, led by 12 from Kathryn Giroux ’18. On the season, Dartmouth enjoys a 129-82 draw control advantage over its opponents.

Good defense kept Siena away from goalie Charlotte Wahle ’19, who faced only 14 credible threats in the 60-minute match. The Big Green, meanwhile, hurled 14 off-target shots to Siena’s nine and committed 12 turnovers — one more than the hosts. The Big Green, who still dominated play in New York, will look to improve on the finer points of its game this weekend against foe Harvard University.