The Weekend Roundup: Week Six

Squash

The No. 9 Dartmouth men’s squash team defeated No. 13 Cornell University 8-1 at home on Saturday, bringing its overall record to 5-5. The match was highlighted by dominating displays by Glen Brickman ’17, Sam Epley ’19, Jack Harvey ’18, Brian Giegerich ’18, and Matthew Giegerich ’19, who all cruised to 3-0 victories, as well as Brandon De Otaduy ’20’s dramatic comeback from a 2-1 deficit to win his match. In the last game of the day, Alvin Heumann ’18 defeated Harry Freeman 5-11, 12-10, 11-8, 11-4.

The following day, the Big Green could not replicate its dominance and fell to No. 3 Columbia University 8-1 at home. Matthew Giegerich picked up the only win for Dartmouth with an intense final score of 15-13, 11-2, 7-11, 6-11, 11-2.

On the women’s side, the No. 9 squash team fell to No. 8 Cornell 7-2 at the Berry Squash Courts on Saturday, dropping its overall record to 3-4. The Big Green started off on a strong note with Janel Gaube ’18 and Zainab Molani ’18 completely dominating their respective opponents with decisive 3-0 victories. However, the rest of the team could not match the stellar start.

The following day, the team fell to another Ivy League rival, No. 7 Columbia, 7-2 at home. Junnat Anwar ’20 and Emma Roberts ’19 secured the only two points for the Big Green with 3-0 victories.

Skiing

Alexa Dlouhy ’19, Thomas Woolson ’17 and Fabian Stocek ’17 secured victories in their respective events of women’s slalom, men’s slalom and men’s 10-kilometer classic this Saturday at the Vermont Carnival, leading Dartmouth’s ski teams to a decisive victory. The Big Green finished the two-day carnival with 923 points, placing Dartmouth nearly 200 points ahead of second-place finisher, the University of New Hampshire.

On her first run at Mount Mansfield, Dlouhy flew down the slopes in 56.61 seconds, topping teammate Kelly Moore ’18’s time of 57.39s. On the second run, Dlouhy continued to excel with the second-fastest time to win the race.

In the other three races, the Big Green secured second as a team. Woolson recorded a quality time of 53.83 seconds, finishing behind only Saint Michael’s College’s Guillaume Grand’s time of 53.38s.

At the Trapp Family Lodge, Stocek was the only skier to break 30 minutes, finishing with an astounding time of 29:49.6. After the first 5-kilometer loop, he and New Hampshire’s Peter Holmes were neck-to-neck, with neither seeming to slow down. However, in the end, Stocek was able turn on the jets and pull away to win by more than 15 seconds.

In the women’s 10-kilometer, Dartmouth’s Abby Drach ’20, Lydia Blanchet ’19 and Taryn Hunt-Smith ’19 finished second, fifth and sixth place, respectively. The New Hampshire Wildcats took first, third and fourth.

Men’s Track and Field

In the fifth home meet of the year, the men’s track and field team hosted the Dartmouth Indoor Classic this past Saturday at Leverone Field House in a non-scoring meet that featured multiple teams from the Northeast.

The highlight of the meet was Corey Muggler ’17’s fifth trial in the long jump. Muggler recorded an impressive 24-3.75-feet/7.41-meter, a mark that was nearly two feet better than the second-place finisher. Alec Eschholz ’19, Parker Johnson ’19 and Shawn Ohazuruike ’20 secured the top three places in the final of the 60-meter hurdles with respective times of 8.27 seconds, 8.30s and 8.32s.

Reed Horton ’19 won the mile in 4:14.29, outcompeting more than 40 participants. In the 500-meter, Amos Cariati ’18 took the top spot in 1:04.34. Continuing the string of dominant performances by the Big Green, Michael Thurston ’20 was the top runner in the 800-meter, finishing in 1:55.26 minutes.

Tim Brennan ’17 and Colin Minor ’18 finished second and third respectively in the weight throw, and Lucas Ribeiro ’19 placed first in the shot put.

Women’s Track and Field

The Big Green women’s track and field team also performed exceptionally well at the Dartmouth Indoor Classic.

Julia Valenti ’20 secured first place in the pole vault, clearing 12-7.50 feet/3.85 meters on her first attempt at the height, and the only competitor to clear that height.

In the 60-meter hurdles, Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20, Abby Feeney ’17 and Danielle Okonta ’20 secured the top three spots with respective times of 8.54s, 8.96s and 9.02s.

Rothwell also took the trophy home in the final of the 60-meter dash, crossing in 7.63 and was second in the long jump with a jump of 18-7.00 ft/5.66m.

Alexa Jennings ’19 placed first with a 1:18.27, as did Lauren Archer ’20 in the 1000m by finishing in 2:55.12.

The Big Green also took second place in several other events. Georgia Fear ’20, Shanthi Hiremath ’20 and Amelia Ali ’19 placed second in the mile, triple jump and weight throw, respectively.

Danielle Okonta is a member of the Dartmouth staff.

Basketball

On Friday, the Dartmouth men’s basketball team lost in Leede Arena to Princeton University 69-64. Evan Boudreaux ’19 led the team in scoring with 21 points on 8-14 shooting. Princeton’s Spencer Weisz led all scorers with 26 points. Dartmouth led 33-32 at halftime but blew the lead in the second half.

On Saturday, the men’s team beat the University of Pennsylvania 74-71 at home for its first Ivy win of the season. Miles Wright ’18 led the team in scoring with 19 points, 15 of which came from 3-pointers. Bourdeaux gave another strong performance with 18 points and 11 rebounds, four of which came on the offensive side. Dartmouth is now 4-15 and 1-5 in Ivy league play. The team has two crucial Ivy league matches coming up against Yale University and Brown University this upcoming weekend.

The women’s basketball team lost to both Penn and Princeton on the road over the weekend. On Friday, the Big Green lost to Princeton 85-55. The Tigers hit 12 3-pointers in the blowout win. Although the team lost, Emily Slagle ’18 set a new career high by finishing with 13 points. On Saturday, against Ivy League leader Penn, the team lost by 30 points for the second consecutive night, with a final score of 68-38. The home team’s stifling defense shut down the Big Green’s offense, as no Dartmouth player scored in double figures. Sidney Stipanovich of Penn led all scorers with 15 points. After the weekend’s two Ivy League losses, Dartmouth is now 6-13 overall and 1-5 in Ivy League play.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

Dartmouth men’s swimming and diving team lost to Columbia University in its final dual meet of the season on Saturday 211-89. In the first event of the day, the 3-meter diving board, Taylor Clough ’17 and Ray Neistat ’20 finished second and third respectively out of five participants. The two reversed positions on the 1-meter diving board, with Neistat finishing second and Clough finishing third out of five participants. In the 200-yard medley race, the Big Green took third and fourth. In the following event, the men’s 1000-yard freestyle, Josh Hendell ’20, Carter Jacobsen ’19, Joby Bernstein ’17 took third, fourth and fifth out of five competitors. The team fared better in the 200-yard men’s freestyle, highlighted by Tony Shen ’18’s second place finish. The team secured third, fourth and fifth in the men’s 100-yard backstroke out of six competitors. Patrick Kang ’17 took second place in the 100-yard breastroke, while Delaney Hall ’19 took second in the 200 yard breastroke. Henry Senkfor ’17 finished in third for the Big Green in the the 200-yard butterfly. The Big Green’s lone win of the day came from David Harmon ’17 in the 100 yard-butterfly with a time of 51.20 seconds. Dartmouth is now headed to the Ivy Championships at Harvard University from Feb. 22 to 25.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The women’s swimming and diving team also fell to Columbia in its final dual meet of the season 178-112. Maggie Pionzio ’20 won her diving competitions on the 3-meter board and the 1-meter diving, and AnnClaire MacArt ’18 finished first in the 1000-yard freestyle by more than 16 seconds. Amy Sun ’17 and Allison Green ’19 secured second place in the 200-yard freestyle and the 1-meter diving, respectively. The women head to Providence, Rhode Island for the Ivy League Championship from Feb. 15 to 18.

Men’s Hockey

Third period goals from Will Graber ’20 and Josh Hartley ’17 were not enough to complete a comeback, as Dartmouth fell to No. 5 Harvard University 5-2 on Friday evening at the Bright-Landry Hockey Center. The Big Green fell to 8-12-3 overall and 5-9-2 in the ECAC, while the Crimson improved to 15-5-2 overall and 11-4-2 in the ECAC to avenge an 8-4 loss in Hanover on Jan. 17.

Sean Malone put Harvard up 1-0 11:36 into the first period when he deflected a Clay Anderson pass past Dartmouth goaltender Devin Buffalo ’18 from the low slot. Jake Horton’s shorthanded goal in the second gave the Crimson a two-goal cushion heading into the final period, and it was not until after Malone registered his second goal of the night that Graber’s shot from the point put Dartmouth on the board with 5:46 gone by in the third. The Big Green and the Crimson would then trade goals, with Hartley’s power play goal, his first of the season, the response to Luke Esposito’s marker that put Harvard up 4-1. Harvard captain Alexander Kerfoot rounded out the evening’s scoring with 7:06 to go in the game.

In goal, Merrick Madsen made 28 saves to earn his 15th win of the season. On the other end, Buffalo kept the Big Green in contention all evening with a 34-save performance. Dartmouth was outshot 39-30 on the evening but managed to stymie all six Harvard power play opportunities. The Big Green managed to score a power play goal of its own and finished 1 for 6 on the man advantage opportunities.

Dartmouth looks to bounce back this Friday at Thompson Arena against No. 4 Union College, before hosting Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Saturday.

Women’s Hockey

Resilience was simply not enough for the women’s ice hockey team to keep up with No. 3 Clarkson University and No. 5 St. Lawrence University, falling 3-0 to the visiting Golden Knights on Friday before succumbing to the Saints in a 2-1 heartbreaker on Saturday. Despite killing nine Clarkson man advantages against the ECAC’s top power play unit, the Big Green was unable to generate the offense needed to pull off the upset.

Genevieve Bannon opened the scoring for Clarkson with just under six minutes to go in the first period before recording her second goal of the evening in the second frame. Savannah Harmon added the icing to the cake in the third for Clarkson, who improved to 21-4-4 overall.

Two standout performers for the Big Green were goaltender Robyn Chemago ’17 and forward Kate Landers ’19. Chemago recorded 43 saves on the evening, and despite the loss, continued her strong play that has kept the Big Green competitive throughout the season. Landers led Dartmouth with four shots that helped keep Clarkson goaltender Shea Tiley busy deep in the third period.

Dartmouth was outshot 46-16 and finished 0-2 on the man advantage.

On Saturday, St. Lawrence University’s Brooke Webster tallied the game winner coming with just 1:06 left in the game. The Big Green are now 5-19-0 overall and 3-15-0 in the ECAC, while the visitors improved to 23-3-2 overall and 15-2-1 in the ECAC.

“Obviously it was a heartbreaker at the end, but the girls showed a lot of resiliency coming back, and we have made huge strides since the beginning of the year,” head coach Laura Schuler said. “If we keep improving through our last four games of the season, we will definitely see good results going forward.”

St. Lawrence maintained consistent puck control in the Dartmouth defensive zone for much of the first half of the contest, but Dartmouth began to apply pressure on the visitors in the middle of the second period. After Morgan Turner ’18’s breakaway opportunity was turned aside by Saints goaltender Grace Harrison, Alyssa Baker ’19 was finally able to get the Big Green on the board, with the assists credited to Mackenzie St. Onge ’17 and Emma Korbs ’17.

“It was exciting to get some momentum going, and there was definitely belief that things were going to start bouncing our way,” Baker said. “We have been playing better with each game and know what we need to do to finish the season strongly.”

Deep into the third period, Dartmouth’s tired legs began to show as St. Lawrence kept the Big Green pinned in its defensive zone. Despite making eight third period saves, Chemago was unable to deny Webster’s game winner down the stretch. Chemago finished with 26 saves, while Harrison was forced to turn aside just 11 Dartmouth shots.

St. Lawrence outshot Dartmouth 28-12. Special teams were a non-factor, with Dartmouth going 0-1 and St. Lawrence finishing 0-3 against the red hot Big Green penalty kill unit.

Dartmouth looks to rebound this Friday at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute before facing Union College on Saturday afternoon. Two of the Big Green’s three victories in ECAC play this season have come against Union and RPI.

Men’s tennis

Men’s tennis lost two 4-3 heartbreakers over the weekend, one to the University of Minnesota on Friday and then to the University of Iowa two days later. In Minneapolis, Dartmouth nabbed the doubles point but was unable to close things out in singles, as David Horneffer lost in three sets to give the game to the Gophers. Dartmouth won three singles matches on Sunday, but George Wall fell in three sets to his Iowa opponent to give the day to the Hawkeyes.

Women’s tennis

Dartmouth won both of its matches at the Courtside Classic this weekend in Minneapolis, Minn. The women beat the University of Minnesota 4-3 on Saturday, losing the doubles point but coming back in singles to win in dramatic fashion. The next day against Washington State University, Dartmouth won the doubles point with a statement 6-0 victory from Taylor Ng and Kristina Mathis and locked up the overall victory with four singles wins.