The Weekend Roundup: Week Four

Men’s basketball

The Dartmouth men’s basketball team fell to Harvard University on Saturday afternoon at Lavietes Pavilion, 82-68, bumping Dartmouth to a 3-12 overall record and a 0-2 Ivy League record. Harvard now has a 10-5 overall record and a 2-0 Ivy record. Although Dartmouth ended the first half with a 35-34 lead, the Crimson sunk 13 3-pointers total and shot 53.3 percent from the floor in the second half to snag the win against the Big Green.

Dartmouth’s Guilien Smith ’19 and Evan Boudreaux ’19 scored close to half of Dartmouth’s points with 18 and 15 points respectively. Wesley Dickinson ’17 and Brendan Barry ’20 also scored in double figures, with 12 and 10 points respectively. Miles Wright ’18 dominated the boards with a team-leading seven rebounds.

Women’s basketball

In a game that truly came down to the wire, the Big Green fell to Harvard University, 70-61, pushing Dartmouth down to 5-10 overall and 0-2 in the Ivy League. The Crimson improved to 14-1 overall and 2-0 in the Ivies.

Isalys Quiñones ’19 and Olivia Smith ’18 were the stars of the game on the Big Green side of the court. Quiñones set a new career-high with a team high 18 points, while also securing 11 rebounds for her fourth career double-double. Smith also finished the game in double-digits, securing a whopping 14 points. On the other side of the floor, Crimson freshman Katie Benzan spearheaded the Harvard offense with a resounding 17 points and six rebounds.

Men’s swimming and diving

In the swimming pool, the Big Green raced ahead to a 177-159 victory over the University of Massachusetts Amherst to win the two-day, three-session Dartmouth Invitational.

Dartmouth began the first day with a second place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:27.22. The A relay, consisting of Henry Patrick ’19, Tang-e Tan ’20, John Hall ’20 and Will Belmont ’20 , finished just over two seconds behind the first place finisher.

In the 400-yard individual medley, the Big Green claimed the top three spots with Josh Hendell ’20 first in 4:08.66, Henry Senkfor ’18 second in 4:10.87, and Delaney Hall ’19 third in 4:11.19. David Harmon ’17 won the 100-yard butterfly in 50.96 seconds, while Belmont finished second in 51.85.

Women’s swimming and diving

On the other side, the Big Green’s women’s swimming and diving team won the same Dartmouth Invitiational by defeating the University of Massachusetts Amherst 202-133.

The highlight of this invitational was AnnClaire MacArt ’18, who broke the pool record in the 1,650-yard freestyle by 13 seconds with a time of 17:14.95. The previous record of 17:27:68 was set by Gret Duckworth ’00 in 1998 and was Dartmouth’s longest-standing pool record.

Men’s track and field

On Friday afternoon, the Big Green bested Ivy League rivals Columbia University and Yale University to win the tri-meet. Dartmouth finished the day with 89 points, while the Bulldogs finished in second with 70 and the Lions in third with 22 points.

Dartmouth secured the majority of its points through the middle-distance and distance events. Miles Irish ’18, with a time of 4:10.09, finished just ahead of teammates Dominic Carrese ’19, who finished in 4:10.22, and Quinn Cooney ’19, who clocked in at 4:10.96, for the top spot in the mile. The one-two-three finish added 10 points to the team’s meet total.

Henry Raymond ’20 won the 1000-meter run with 2:25.89, besting the runner-up by just four-hundredths of a second. Sean Laverty ’20 claimed first in the 3000-meter run in 8:29.91.

Women’s track and field

The women’s track and field team also took home the victory with 96 points over Columbia University’s 45 points and Yale University’s 39 points at the tri-meet in New York.

Once again, Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 won the events, taking the 60-meter dash in 7.45 and the 60-meter hurdles in 8.54, securing a total of 10 points for the team. Only a month-and-a-half into her Dartmouth career, the emboldened rookie set a school record with her 7.45 run in the final of the 60 meter race.

Skiing

On Saturday at the St. Lawrence Carnival, the Dartmouth Nordic skiing teams secured five of the six podium steps in the freestyle races, while the alpine teams took two more podium spots, accumulating 961 points overall to beat the University of Vermont, who finished in second place with 830.

Although all the teams performed well, the men’s cross country team performed exceptionally well. Callan DeLine ’18 cruised through the men’s 10-kilometer freestyle in 26:59.6. The two other skiers who broke 28 minutes skied for the Big Green as well: in second place was Fabian Stocek ’17 with a time of 27:16.3, while Luke Brown ’18 finished in third with a time of 27:55.9. Brian McLaughlin ’18 took first in the men’s slalom in 43.55 seconds.

The Dartmouth women also emerged victorious in both Nordic and alpine events, with the Nordic team taking four of the top five slots and the alpine team winning three of their events. Lydia Blanchet ’19 finished in first place in the women’s 5-kilometer freestyle by more than two seconds. Alexa Dlouhy ’19 and Kelly Moore ’18 finished one-two in the slalom.

Men’s hockey

On Friday, the Dartmouth men’s hockey team fell to 7-9-3 and 4-6-2 in the ECAC after getting shut out by visiting Yale University, who improved to 8-7-3 and 4-5-2 in the ECAC, 7-0, in a tired effort on Friday evening at Thompson Arena. With the win, Yale moved into a tie for seventh place with Dartmouth in the ECAC Hockey standings.

“They [Yale] were better than us in every facet of the game,” head coach Bob Gaudet ’81 said. “We played like a tired team tonight, and it was just one of those games where the other team was just better than we were.”

The Bulldogs used a career night from sophomore Charlie Curti, who recorded two goals and two assists on the night. Patrick Spano made 22 saves to record his second shutout of the season. Dartmouth’s Adrian Clark ’20 made 18 stops in his second collegiate start before being replaced by classmate Dean Shatzer ’20 for the last 15:02. Shatzer surrendered one goal on seven shots.

Dartmouth was 0-3 on the power play, marking the first time in nine games that that the Big Green has failed to score a goal on man-advantage opportunities. Yale finished 1-3 in extra-man situations.

On Saturday, Andrew Doane’s goal 2:34 into overtime gave visiting Brown University, who improved to 4-14-1 and 3-9-0 in the ECAC, a 4-3 victory over Dartmouth, now 7-10-3 and 4-7-2 in the ECAC. Dartmouth came back to tie the game with 1:33 left in regulation on Troy Crema ’17‘s blast from the left circle but was unable to break through in the extra period.

Ryan Blankemeier ’20 got Dartmouth on the board with 6:44 gone by in the first period for his second tally of the year. Blankemeier’s goal was followed by Crema’s power-play marker with 2:59 remaining in the first. The Bears responded, however, by peppering Big Green goaltender Devin Buffalo ’18 with 13 shots in the second period and goals from Davey Middleton and Max Willman.

“They were better than us in the second and made us pay for it,” Gaudet said. “There has to be a better level of pushback when that happens.”

Bren Beaudoin gave Brown the lead just 44 seconds into the final stanza, and the game did not see any goals until Crema’s 12th of the season down the stretch.

Buffalo finished with 30 saves, while his counterpart Gavin Nieto recorded 28 stops to earn the victory. Brown held a 34-31 advantage in shots, yet went scoreless on four power play opportunities. Dartmouth finished 1-3 on man-advantages, and has now scored power-play goals in nine of their last ten games.

Women’s hockey

The women’s ice hockey team struggled on Friday, succumbing to Yale University, who is now 6-11-3 and 4-8-1 in the ECAC, 3-0 at Ingalls Rink. Goaltender Robyn Chemago ’17 kept the Big Green in the game all evening, registering 29 saves in the contest as the Bulldogs kept the Dartmouth defensive unit on its heels all evening.

Despite being shut out, the Big Green offensive unit had its chances, as Tess Bracken ’19 had five shots-on-net, and Cecilia Lopez ’20 had three. Dartmouth also nearly got on the board in the first, but a Morgan Turner ’18 breakaway opportunity was turned away by Yale goalie Kyra O’Brien.

Both the Big Green and Bulldogs struggled on the power play, going 0-4 and 0-3, respectively. Yale used goals from Mallory Souliotis in the first, and Eden Murray and Jordan Chancellor in the third to seal the victory.

The women also fell to Brown University 1-0 at Meehan Auditorium on Saturday. The Big Green fell to 5-15-0 overall and 3-11-0 in ECAC hockey play, while the Bears improved to 5-16-0 and 3-11-0.

“We need to find a way to bury pucks,” head coach Laura Schuler said after the game. “We can’t win games without scoring goals, so our goal going forward is to work on creating offense.”

The lone goal of the game occurred when Brown’s Sarah Migliori collected her own rebound and buried one past Chemago 14:33 into the game. Chemago, however, was outstanding in the period, registering 13 saves.

Despite quality chances from Lopez, Alyssa Baker ’19 and Kate Landers ’19 in the second and third periods. Brown netminder Monica Elvin was there to shut the door for all 19 Dartmouth shots. Chemago finished with 30 saves in the contest. Brown outshot Dartmouth 31-19, and both squads finished 0-4 on the power play.

Men’s squash

Alvin Heumann ’17 was named Harrow Sports Squash Player of the Week for the first time in his career after his spectacular 4-3 win over Princeton University’s Adhitya Raghavan last Saturday. On Sunday, Dartmouth men’s squash dominated Middlebury College 9-0.

Women’s squash

The women’s squash team that took down No. 14 Middlebury Colege on Sunday afternoon with a 9-0 win. Janel Gaube ’18 started the day with a three-set win, and the Big Green never looked back.