The Weekend Roundup: Week Nine

Volleyball

The Big Green played two tight matches this weekend, beating Brown University and losing a nailbiter against Yale University. Dartmouth knocked off the Bears 3-2 (17-25, 24-26, 25-18, 25-16, 15-12) before falling to the Bulldogs on Senior Day, 2-3 (18-25, 20-25, 25-23, 25-13, 13-15) to close out the 2016 season.

After losing the first two sets to Brown, the Big Green was able to stage a comeback and defeat the Bears 3-2. Emily Astarita ’17 and Zoe Leonard ’19 both had double-doubles, Astarita with 18 digs and 11 kills and Leonard recording 22 assists and 16 digs. The Big Green dominated the third, fourth and fifth sets to win the match.

In its final game of the season, the Big Green fell to Yale 3-2. The Bulldogs took a 2-0 lead, but the Big Green played strong in the third and fourth sets to force a fifth set. Dartmouth and Yale were knotted up at 12-12 near the end of the fifth set before the Bulldogs pulled out the 15-13 win.

Maddy Schoenberger ’20 had a double-double with 13 assists and 12 digs. Molly Kornfeind ’17 notched 10 kills while Astarita had 11.

Dartmouth finishes the season at 9-16 and 2-12 in Ivy play.

Men's Hockey

The Big Green men’s hockey team fell to No. 7 Quinnipiac University 6-3 and tied Princeton University 2-2 in two tough ECAC hockey games this past weekend. Dartmouth stands at 2-1-2 and 1-1-2 in ECAC play. The Big Green opened the scoring against Quinnipiac with a Kevan Kilistoff ’19 goal just one minute into the first period. Quinnipiac responded with a power play goal at the 7:48 mark to knot the score at 1-1; a goal from John Ernsting ’19 made it lead 2-1 Big Green at the end of the first period.

Quinnipiac scored two goals in the second period to lead 3-2.

The Big Green got a goal from Cam Strong ’20 in the third period, but Quinnipiac’s Landon Smith scored a hat trick in the final frame, and the Bobcats cruised to victory.

Quinnipiac outshot the Big Green 54-24 and went 3-for-9 on power plays and 8-for-8 on penalty kills.

Devin Buffalo ’18 recorded 48 saves on Friday night against Quinnipiac and 22 versus Princeton the next night.

Dartmouth tied Princeton 2-2 with goals from Strong, who leads the team with three goals on the season, and Ernsting. Dartmouth’s power play woes continued on Saturday; the team is now 0-31 this season on the power play.

Dartmouth plays at Vermont on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Men's Basketball

The Big Green men’s basketball team fell to No. 23 University of Rhode Island on Friday night in the first game of David McLaughlin’s inaugural season as head coach. The Rams (1-0) downed Dartmouth (0-1) 84-61 in front of a crowd of 6,052 at Rhode Island’s Ryan Center.

Evan Boudreaux ’19 led the Big Green with a double-double, tallying 14 points and 11 rebounds. Guilien Smith ’19 had 13 points and Ike Ngwudo ’17 had nine points in his first start for the Big Green. E.C. Matthews led the Rams with 21 points in 23 minutes. The Big Green kept the score close in the first period until the Rams went on a 9-2 run over the final four minutes. The two teams went to the locker room with Rhode Island up 39-26.

Rhode Island opened the second period with a 17-4 run and had leads of 30 on several occasions, but the Big Green brought the final margin down to 23 points.

The Big Green shot 35.2 percent from the floor and 33.3 percent beyond the arc. The Rams shot 47.1 percent overall.

Dartmouth plays its home opener Tuesday against Fairfield University at 7 p.m.

Rowing

For its last race of the fall, Dartmouth women’s rowing returned to Boston for the Foot of the Charles Regatta on Saturday afternoon. In the women’s Varsity 8 race, Dartmouth entered four boats. Dartmouth’s A boat led the way for the Big Green, finishing in fifth place overall with a time of 21 minutes and 28.1 seconds. The B, C and D boats finished 11th, 18th and 21st. In the Novice 8+ race, Dartmouth entered one boat, which placed 11th with a time of 15:48.7. Dartmouth women’s rowing will compete again in April.

Football

A rash of turnovers spoiled a record-setting offensive performance for the Big Green, as the Brown University Bears defeated Dartmouth 24-21 at Memorial Field on Saturday. Dartmouth now stands at 4-5 and 1-5 in Ivy play.

The Big Green offense racked up a total of 615 yards — the most in a game since 1925. Jack Heneghan ’18 threw for 440 of those yards to set a new single-game record for the Big Green.

The Bears scored the only points of a quiet first quarter on a 1-yard touchdown run. Dartmouth evened things up midway through the second quarter with a matching 1-yard plunge from Vito Penza ’19. The Bears added points on each of their three drives in the quarter — two more touchdowns and a 52-yard field goal.

The third quarter opened 24-7, and the score remained that way as neither team was able to get on the scoreboard. The Big Green staged a comeback in the fourth with touchdown runs from Ryder Stone ’18 and Heneghan, but an onside kick attempt dribbled out of bounds with 1 minute and 47 seconds to play, effectively sealing the game.

Heneghan went 37-53 with three interceptions. Hunter Hagdorn ’20 led the Big Green with 13 catches for 171 yards, a new freshman record. Miles Smith ’19 led in rushing for 17 carries for 111 yards.

Dartmouth plays at Princeton University next Saturday at 1:30 p.m. in its final game of the season.

Rugby

The Dartmouth rugby team fell to American International College 33-29 in the first round of the National Intercollegiate Rugby Association national tournament, putting an end to the team’s 2016 15s campaign. The Big Green finished the year 7-2 overall.

The women had high hopes for this quarterfinal match after defeating the Yellow Jackets 24-22 in their first meeting on Sept. 3. Dartmouth led 17-14 at the half, but two tries from AIC put the team in a hole. The Big Green stormed back to a 29-26 lead with about five minutes remaining, but a Yellow Jacket try and conversion in the final minutes pushed the game out of reach.

This marks the second straight year that the Big Green has fallen in the national quarterfinals.

Women's Hockey

Women’s hockey played back-to-back home games versus No. 8 Quinnipiac University on Friday night and No. 10 Princeton University on Saturday. Against Quinnipiac, Dartmouth controlled the special teams, capitalizing on its lone power play opportunity with a goal by Eleni Tebano ’17 while killing off all six of Quinnipiac’s power play opportunities. Quinnipiac opened the scoring with a goal midway through the second period. In the third period, 40 seconds after Tebano’s game-tying goal, Quinnipiac’s Kate MacKenzie netted the game-winning goal, giving the Bobcats a 2-1 victory over Dartmouth.

The women fared better on Saturday, beating Princeton 3-2 in overtime and earning their first victory of the season — and the first goal of head coach Laura Schuler’s Dartmouth tenure. Outshot 16-7 in the first period, the Big Green nonetheless took a 2-0 lead on goals from Emma Korbs ’17 and Rose Falzone ’20. Princeton scored twice early in the second period to tie the game at two goals apiece. Scoring her second goal in as many days, Tebano propelled Dartmouth to victory, sealing the upset with just under a minute left in overtime. Dartmouth next plays at Maine on Nov. 28.

Men's Soccer

On Saturday, the Dartmouth men’s soccer team played Brown University under the lights at Burnham Field. Winning 2-0, Dartmouth clinched a share of the Ivy League Championship with Columbia University and earned an automatic bid to the 2016 NCAA College Cup. In front of a crowd of nearly 1,000 fans, the Big Green controlled much of the game on Saturday. Late in the first half, Noah Paravicini ’19 hammered a shot into the top right corner of the goal to open the scoring for Dartmouth. Emmanuel Arteaga ’17 assisted on what was Paravicini’s fourth goal of the season. In the second half, Matt Danilack ’18 headed in his third goal of the season to put the Dartmouth up a comfortable two goals late in the game. Sophomores Justin Donowa ’19 and Eduvie Ikoba ’19 assisted the play. Brown’s best chance to score came with just 19 seconds to play, but the shot pounded the cross bar, preserving goalkeeper James Hickok ’17’s sixth clean sheet of the season.

Dartmouth will find out its opponent in the first round of the NCAA tournament during the selection show on Monday afternoon.

Women's Basketball

The women’s basketball team opened its season this past weekend with a home matchup against Central Connecticut State University. Leading two at the end of the third quarter, Dartmouth held Central Connecticut to just six fourth quarter points on its way to a 61-51 season-opening win. Senior Fanni Szabo ’17 led the Big Green in scoring with 16 points. Forward Isalys Quinones ’19 contributed 11 points and 12 rebounds, while fellow sophomore Emily Dryden ’19 tallied 14 points off the bench.

On Sunday, Dartmouth travelled to Burlington to play the University of Vermont in its second game of the weekend. For the second straight game, Szabo and Dryden led the team in scoring, with 22 and 10 points respectively. Down 21 points with seven minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Big Green battled back but ultimately lost 59-54. The team returns to action next Wednesday when it hosts the College of the Holy Cross.

Swimming and Diving

Opening its 2016-2017 season, Dartmouth swimming and diving hosted Harvard University and Cornell University on Saturday. Both the men’s and women’s teams fell to Harvard and Cornell, who placed first and second, respectively. AJ Krok ’19 led the way for Dartmouth men’s diving, placing third on both the 3-meter and 1-meter boards. His score of 324.25 on the 3-meter board qualified him for the NCAA Zone Diving Championship at the end of the season. On the women’s side, Allison Green ’19 placed third on the 3-meter board and second on the 1-meter board.

Highlighting the day for Dartmouth men’s swimming, freshman Josh Hendell ’20 won the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 9 minutes and 28.31 seconds in his first collegiate meet. He also finished third in the 500 freestyle. Dartmouth’s A relay — consisting of Will Belmont ’20, John Hall ’20, Henry Patrick ’19 and Tony Shen ’18 — finished third, out-touching Cornell by six hundredths of a second. Shen also finished second in the 200 individual medley, while teammate Henry Senkfor ’18 finished third.

Leading Dartmouth women’s swimming, Sam Norton ’20 opened her collegiate career with a narrow victory in the 200 breaststroke. AnnClaire McArt ’18 also had a strong start to her season, finishing second in both the 500 and 1,000 freestyle. In the 400 freestyle relay, Dartmouth’s A team of Sophie Smith ’20, Megan Crook ’19, Melanya Zaraska ’19 and Amy Sun ’17 took second, while the B relay placed directly behind them in third.

The teams swim again on Dec. 2 in the Big Al Invitational at Brown University.