The Weekend Roundup: Week Three

Volleyball

In the second weekend of Ivy play, Dartmouth fell 2-3 to University of Pennsylvania on Friday. The match went to a fifth set after the Big Green and Penn split the first four. The last set saw Dartmouth down 10-14 before a kill by senior Kaira Lujan ’16 pulled them within three points; however, Penn’s Sydney Morton clinched the win with a kill of her own, ending the game at 11-15.

Lujan made 15 kills for the Big Green, while Emily Astarita ’17 earned a double-double with 12 kills and 12 digs. Molly Kornfeind ’17 also assisted in making nine kills. Overall, the Big Green had a total of 54 kills and Penn a total of 63.

Dartmouth suffered another loss the next day against Princeton University with a match score of 0-3. The Big Green’s Corinne Cox ’20 notched the first kill of the match, while Lujan carried the game with nine kills. Sara Lindquist ’18, Kornfeind and Astarita also contributed with six kills each. Dartmouth is now 6-7 overall and 0-3 in Ivy play. Dartmouth is slated to face Yale University and Brown University this week on Oct. 7 and 8 respectively.

Women's Soccer

The Dartmouth women’s soccer team fell 0-2 at Princeton University in its second Ivy League game of the season. The Big Green stand at 6-4-0 overall and 0-2-0 in Ivy play.

Princeton stands at 8-1-1 and 1-0-1 in Ivy play. Princeton came out strong, scoring their first goal in only the fifth minute of the game. The Tigers scored again two minutes later to lead 2-0. The Big Green found themselves unable to find the net in the second half despite a number of close attempts.

Goalkeeper Casey Cousineau ’17 made four saves in the contest compared to Princeton’s goalkeeper, Natalie Grossi, who made two saves. Princeton led Dartmouth in shots 13-6 and corner kicks 8-1. The Big Green play at home next Saturday, taking on Yale University at home at 4 p.m.

Rugby

Rugby won its home game against Ivy rival Harvard University this Saturday at Brophy Field. The Big Green had a close game, but triumphed with win of 22-19 against the Crimson. This places Dartmouth at 4-1 overall and 3-0 in Ivy play. The Crimson is now 1-1 in conference play and 3-1 overall. Dartmouth came in strong to this weekend’s game after last week’s win dominating, 110-0 win against Columbia University. This weekend, the Big Green led at 12-7 before the intermission, and held strong with a 10-point lead after Isabel Boettcher’s ’20 third try of the game. Harvard scored again to bring the score to 17-12. However, freshman Eva Klein’s ’20 try marked the Big Green’s final five points to ensure Dartmouth maintained the lead. Though Harvard scored again, the Big Green successfully clinched the game with a lead of three points. Dartmouth will enjoy a bye this week, but will be back at it on Oct. 15 with a game against Princeton University.

Football

To open its Ivy League schedule, the Dartmouth football team fell to the University of Pennsylvania on Friday night, with a score of 37-24. Dartmouth stands at 2-1 and 0-1 in Ivy play. Penn improved to 1-2 and 1-0 in Ivy play. Penn dominated the first half and led 28-10 at halftime with two touchdowns from running back Tre Solomon and a touchdown pass and run for Penn quarterback Alex Torgersen.

David Smith ’18 kicked a field goal to get Dartmouth on the board. Ryder Stone ’18 was able to score a touchdown at the end of the first half to give the Big Green a score. The second half picked up for the Big Green, who scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to stage a comeback.

Kicking off the second half, Penn got a touchdown and a safety to lead 37-10. The Big Green then scored two touchdowns to cut the lead to 37-24. Quarterback Jack Heneghan ’18 was 27-43 with two touchdowns and two interceptions for 289 yards. Wide receiver Hunter Hagdorn ’20 had 89 yards and Drew Hunnicutt ’19 had 108 yards with a touchdown. The Big Green play at Yale University next weekend in another Ivy showdown.

Field Hockey

Dartmouth field hockey lost its game to Brown University this Saturday with a final score of 2-1. Dartmouth did not score in the first half. However, the two teams were tied early in the second half when Morgan Philie ’18 made a successful shot. Even so, the Bears came back not long after and snatched the win with another goal by Lucy Brown. The score remained at 2-1 in favor of Brown for the remainder of the game. This dropped Dartmouth to 3-5 overall and 0-2 in conference play.

The Big Green also faced non-conference Northeastern University this past Sunday and fell with a final score of 5-2. Northeastern took a strong lead in the first half, ending with a score of 4-1. Dartmouth answered halfway through the second half with a successful shot by Katie Spanos ’20. Even so, the Huskies held their lead and scored again at the end of the second half making the final score 5-2.

The Big Green will return this coming Friday with a home game against the University of Pennsylvania.

Golf

The men’s golf team participated in the MacDonald Cup Tournament this weekend hosted by Yale University. Dartmouth placed tenth out of 17 teams overall before play was stopped due to inclement weather. Out of the eight teams that finished play before the tournament stopped, Dartmouth placed seventh. In the team rounds, Dartmouth shot a 294 and +14 over par, while Harvard University closed the day out at +2 over par to claim first for the day’s play. Individually, Ian Kelsey ’18 tied at 37th at +5 over par. Riley Griffin ’20 tied for 44th. The results of the tournament’s conclusion were unavailable by press time.

The women’s golf team participated in the Princeton Invitational over the weekend and placed fourth out of 12 teams at the conclusion of day one. Isabelle Kane ’18 led the Big Green tied at 11th place after shooting 148 and +4 over par. Jamie Susanin ’17 and Catharine Roddy ’19 tied for 14th place at +6 over par. As of day one, Yale University lead the tournament, followed by Georgetown University and Columbia University. At press time, the results from day two were unavailable.

Sailing

The Dartmouth coed and women’s sailing teams participated in the Danmark Trophy, the Hewitt Trophy, Women’s Regis and the Susan Rogers ’75 Memorial races this weekend. At the Danmark Trophy, the Big Green placed ninth out of 20 teams with Yale University taking the regatta. Dartmouth hosted the Hewitt Trophy with Yale coming in first again and Dartmouth a close second. The Big Green placed second at the Susan Rogers ’75 Memorial regatta with the Hobart and Williams Smith Colleges coming in first. At press time, the results of the Women’s Regis race were unavailable.

Cross-Country

The men’s cross country team placed seventh in the Paul Short Invitational 8K at Lehigh University over the weekend. Nat Adams ’17 came in 19th overall with a time of 24 mintues and 2 seconds. He was followed by teammates Matt Herzog ’17 who finished 25th, Connor Clark ’17 who placed at 32nd and Quinn Cooney ’19 who came in at 47th. Dan Salas ’17 finished soon after Cooney with a time of 24:35 to take 69th place. The Big Green’s cumulative time was 2:01:25 with an average race time of 24:17. Iona College came in first out of the 38 teams that competed Saturday. Next weekend the Big Green will be in Boston to compete at the New England Championships.

The women’s cross country team came in ninth at the Paul Short Invitational 6K in Lehigh Saturday morning. The meet featured 45 teams on the women’s side. Helen Schlachtenhaufen ’17 led the Big Green with a 25th place finish earning a time of 20:39. Other top finishers for the Big Green included Olivia Lantz ’17 who placed 29th, Diana Vizza ’20 who came in 50th, Georgia Fear ’20 who claimed 57th place and Bridget O’Neill ’18 who finished 88th. Dartmouth’s total time was 1:44:06, with an average time of 20:53. Yale University took first with an average time of 20:30. Like the men’s team, the women will also venture down to Boston to compete in the New England Championship on Oct. 8.

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer played to a 2-2 tie against the Princeton University Tigers this past Saturday in Princeton, New Jersey The tie is the Big Green’s fifth of the season. The double-overtime game has pushed Dartmouth into 100 extra minutes in total in the 2016 season, meaning the Big Green has essentially played more than an extra game’s worth of time.

The Big Green opened the scoring early in the first half when Noah Paravicini ’19 scored his second goal of the season. Dartmouth also scored the second goal of the game when Tyler Dowse ’18 put away his first goal of the season in the 53rd minute.

The Big Green was unable to keep the lead, allowing two Princeton goals to fly by, just over five minutes apart. The second goal, which came in the 60th minute, was the last in the 110-minute game. The Tigers' Josh Haberman bested James Hickok's ’17 five save game by turning away nine shots on goal, while Matt Greer's ’18 four shots on goal doubled that of any other player in the game. Men’s soccer will take a break from its conference campaign this Wednesday when it hosts the University of New Hampshire at 7 p.m.