The Weekend Roundup: Week Five

Volleyball

“We’ve been performing at a pretty high level lately, but points here and there haven’t been going our way. To finally get that win [against Cornell] really helped boost morale.”

- JULIA LAU ’17

The women’s volleyball team beat Cornell University and fell to Columbia University in a pair of Ivy League contests this weekend. The Big Green beat the Big Red in five sets, 20-25, 25-15, 24-26, 25-22, 15-13 on Friday while the Lions beat Dartmouth, 3-1, on Saturday, 30-28, 25-27, 22-25, 17-25. The Big Green is now 7-10 overall and 1-6 in Ivy play, under first-year head coach Gilad Doron.

Emily Astarita ’17 recorded her 1,000th kill, becoming the sixth player in program history to do so. Zoë Leonard ’19 and Astarita both recorded double-doubles versus Cornell with Astarita getting 19 kills, 18 digs and Leonard having 31 assists and 12 digs. The Big Green played well in the fourth and fifth sets to take this close match versus Cornell.

In the game against Columbia, both Leonard and Astarita recorded double doubles again with Leonard getting 11 kills and 22 assists and Astarita recording 13 kills and 19 digs. Carly Tower ‘20 had seven kills, 22 total attacks and five block assists to help the Big Green. Columbia took a close first and second sets with the Big Green taking the third to set a comeback. The Lions were able to comfortably win the fourth to take the match. These performances are markedly improved from the Big Green’s recent showings.

The Big Green face Bryant University on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Leede Arena before facing Harvard University away on Friday at 7 p.m.

Sailing

The Big Green’s sailing team finished off a great long weekend of races at the U.S. Match Race Championship on Oct. 10, sending sailors all the way out to San Diego, California for the regatta. Dartmouth’s boat finished in third place in a tight competition of 10 boats, skippered by Charles Lalumiere ’17 and crewed by Rebecca McElvain ’19, Madeline Cooney ’17 and Nate Greason ’17.

The team will be back in the water next weekend in Boston and on Mascoma Lake for the Mrs. Hurst Bowl.

Cross-Country

The women’s cross country raced the Indiana State Pre-National Invitational this weekend, finishing in 27th place. Helen Schlachtenhaufen ’17 was the first Dartmouth runner to the finish line on the LaVern Gibson Championship 6-Kilometer Course, placing 84th with a time of 21 minutes and 19.2 seconds. Olivia Lantz ’19 followed shortly behind, finishing 99th in 21:24.9. Diana Vizza ’20 (21:51.1) came in 152nd, Lillian Anderson ’19 (21:56.9) was 169th and Georgia Fear ’20 (21:59.4) was Dartmouth’s fifth runner, earning 175th place. The team ended the meet with 679 points, while overall winner the University of Colorado had 93 points.

This Saturday, the men’s cross country team travelled to Terre Haute for the Indiana State Pre-National Invitational in and took home 18th place. Daniel Salas ’17 and Matt Herzig ’17 led the team, finishing at 23 minutes and 56.3 seconds and 23:56.7 and coming in 56th and 57th on the LaVern Gibson Championship 8-Kilometer Course. Kyle Dotterer ’18 (25:19.4) came in 103rd, Nat Adams ’17 (25:27.7) finished in 127th and Julian Heninger ’17 (25:43.2) placed 162nd, rounding out the scoring for the team. The Big Green finished the day with 498 points, with the University of Oregon winning with 85 points.

Equestrian

“The second-place finish was really pulled together by our last three riders – Cristiana Salvatori, Sophie King and Holly Langley – who all pulled in wins for the team to solidify our standing within the show.”

- CLAIRE BICK ’18

The equestrian team finished its second weekend of competition at Bowdoin College this Saturday, snagging the title of Reserve Champion behind first-place University of New Hampshire. In the Open Fences class, Sophie Lenihan ’20 finished in second and Lilly Higgins came in fourth. Cristiana Salvatori ’17 won the Novice Flat class, moving her up to the Intermediate division. Sophie King ’19 won the Advanced Walk Trot Canter class for the second show in a row, and Holly Langley ’19 won the Walk Trot class.

Football

“[With an Ivy title unlikely], the new goal is to win the rest of our games and prove to ourselves, more than anyone else, that we’re still the team we thought we were at the beginning of the season.”

- DAVE MORRISON ’17

The Big Green was able to defeat Towson University 20-17 on Saturday to improve to 3-2 and 0-2 in Ivy play.

In the first quarter, Towson opened with a touchdown to lead 7-0, but kicker David Smith ’18 knocked home a field goal to cut the lead to 7-3. The Big Green dominated the second quarter with Vito Penza ’19 scoring a four-yard touchdown to lead 10-7. Smith hit another field goal, giving the Big Green a 13-7 lead.

The third quarter began with a Towson field goal to cut the lead to 13-10. At 8 minutes and 45 seconds in, Drew Hunnicutt ’19 scored a 23-yard touchdown for the Big Green to lead 20-10. Towson was able to get a touchdown later in third to cut the lead to 20-17. The Big Green defense held strong in the fourth, not allowing Towson to scores, blocking two field goals to preserve the three-point victory.

Jack Heneghan ’18 was 14-21 with an interception for 96 yards. Abrm McQuarters ’17 was 1 for 1 with a touchdown. Ryder Stone ’18 led the Big Green in rushing and receiving with 14 carries for 92 yards and 5 catches for 25 yards.

The Big Green return to Ivy play next Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at Columbia University.

Men's Soccer

Dartmouth’s soccer team defeated the University of Pennsylvania 4-1 at home on Saturday, extending its winning streak to three games, beginning with its wins against the University of New Hampshire and Yale University last week. Noah Paravicini ’19 scored the first goal in the fifth minute, assisted by Tyler Dowse ’18 with a great pass down the field.

In the second half, Jonathan Nierenberg ’18 and captain Emmanuel Arteaga ’17 each netted a goal, both off of passes from Matt Greer ’18. In the 71st minute, Penn scored its first goal, but Wyatt Omsberg ’18 scored a final goal off of a penalty shot at the end of the game. The team is now positioned at 4-2-5 overall and 2-0-1 in the Ivy League as it moves into the second half of the season.

Dartmouth will face Boston University for a non-conference game on Tuesday.

Women's Soccer

“We were battling in the air on all kicks. We were just getting defensively right on top of them, putting our bodies in front of the ball hoping to make some sort of play.”

- REMY BORINSKI ’19

The women’s soccer team tied the University of Pennsylvania 1-1 in its fourth Ivy League game of the season. The Big Green is now 6-5-1 and 0-3-1 in Ivy play. The first half was slow for both teams with the Quakers outshooting the Big Green 5-3. Each team had two corner kicks. In the second half, Holly Patterson ’17 converted a penalty kick in the 55th minute for her second goal of the season. The Quakers tied it up in the 66th minute after a rebound from close range. Neither team could find a way to strike again with the game going to overtime 1-1. In overtime, Penn outshot the Big Green 5-1, but neither team could find a game-winning goal. For the game, Penn led in the shots 16-7, but Dartmouth had a 8-6 lead in corner kicks.

The Big Green plays at Columbia University on Saturday at 4 p.m.

Rugby

“At the half it was like 55-0, so we really just cruised and did our best, and as the

second half came in, we started replacing people and made it more of a

developmental game for us. It was a good day for learning.”

- KAT RAMAGE ’19

The rugby team finished this fall’s regular season with a 84-15 victory against Princeton University on New Jersey turf on Saturday. The women, leading the game 55-0 at halftime, did not release any pressure in the second half. Isabel Boettcher ’20 and Frankie Sands ’19 were the team’s high scorers of the day, bringing in four and three tries respectively. This puts Boettcher at a team-high of 10 tries this season, and Sands at seven.

Kat Ramage ’19 and Kendall Ronzano ’17 both had successful conversions throughout the game. Mary Tobin ’20 had the first score of her career in the second half, and Casey Smerczynski ’20 followed suit with her first two tries of the season.

Field Hockey

The Big Green fell to Yale University 4-7 on Saturday afternoon at Chase AstroTurf Field, leaving the team at 3-9 overall and 0-4 in conference play. The game was the sixth consecutive loss for the Big Green.

The Bulldogs offense dominated the first period scoring six goals and taking 18 shots compared to three goals and eight shots by the Big Green. Katie Spanos ’20, Morgan Philie ’18 and Evie Bird ’19 all recorded goals in the first period for the Big Green.

The second period was quiet for both teams as the Big Green and Yale each only had a single goal. Bird recorded two goals and an assist on Saturday to lead the Big Green.

Emma Plumb ’20 and Hailey Valerio ’19 split time in the net, making two and eight saves, respectively.

The Big Green next play at Columbia University next Friday at 5 p.m.