Mirror Asks: Dream Edition

We asked our staff about their wackiest dreams, nightmares and aspirations--hilarity ensured.

1. Tell us about some interesting dreams you’ve had.

Jaden Young ’20

I once dreamed I was a ghost trapped in my own house. My family ignored me whenever I tried to speak to them, but I just shrugged it off and watched television. I didn’t realize I was a ghost until I tried to leave the house and couldn’t. Then I had some sort of a dream-flashback in which I saw myself being hit by a car. I was not pleased to find that I had kicked the bucket, and I spent the rest of the dream crying over my own death.

Julia O’Sullivan ’20

I had a dream that I was Chris Harrison during JoJo’s season of the Bachelorette, and I eloped with one of the contestants and got sued by ABC and subtweeted by JoJo.

Cristian Cano ’20

My most memorable dreams tend to be the ones in which I do something that I could never do in real life — usually that means I get transported to some sort of fictional world.

Yeon Chung ’19

I was Hermione, and I was in my middle school gym in my roller blades. Harry was fighting Voldemort with forks, not wands. Then I had to bring back Harry, Ron, other teammates and myself to the Muggle world. Hermione is usually smart in the movies, but I was a dumb Hermione, so I couldn’t do the spell.

Lauren Budd ’18

I once had a “Groundhog Day”-type dream in which I woke up and went about my entire morning only to realize it was a dream and wake up and go about my morning only to realize that was a dream, which repeated so many times that when I actually woke up I was disoriented.

2. Do you think that dreams can have meaning?

Jaden Young ’20

My junior year of high school, I had the classic show-up-to-school-in-your-underwear dream for the first time ever. The next day, I ripped the seat of my pants right before a big biology test. Can I predict the future? Maybe.

Julia O’Sullivan ’20

The one that I had about JoJo and Chris Harrison is undoubtedly a premonition.

Cristian Cano ’20

I think that dreams can be significant. I don’t know a whole lot about neuroscience, but I believe that it’s important to subconsciously process information to help us make sense of things. As far as any greater meaning or foreshadowing goes, however, I’m not sure I buy into it.

Hayley Hoverter ’17

Maybe! I’ll often go for walks and wind up in places that I think I had only seen in dreams. But then again I have horrible memory, so they probably just look familiar because I’ve been there before.

Lauren Budd ’18

I think that dreams are usually a reflection of general or overwhelming moods, which explains why I have so many anxiety-related dreams in which I fail miserably at any number of tasks.

When you were a kid, what did you want to be?

Jaden Young ’20

I loved “The Powerpuff Girls” when I was little — I even named my male cat Blossom after one of them. I desperately wanted to be Bubbles, the blond one. My parents have pictures of me dressed as Bubbles for Halloween. I think they’re keeping them just in case they ever need to blackmail me.

Julia O’Sullivan ’20

When I was a kid, I wanted to be Miss Piggy because there was a picture book at my preschool that featured her morning routine, which included eating chocolate, and only chocolate, for breakfast.

Cristian Cano ’20

I was a huge Nintendo fan growing up — and still am — and I always idolized Ash from the Pokémon animated series. He just seemed to have the perfect life — traveling with his best friends across distant lands, capturing and training Pokémon and consistently saving the day!

Yeon Chung ’19

I wanted to be Blossom from “The Powerpuff Girls.” She was cute. Not that I wasn’t cute back then.

Hayley Hoverter ’17

I wanted to be Meg Cabot, the author of “The Princess Diaries,” which were my favorite books as a kid. I stopped wanting to be her when I found out that she lives in Florida.

Lauren Budd ’18

I wanted to stay myself but live in the Harry Potter universe.

4. Do you have recurring dreams?

Jaden Young ’20

My dreams often involve me forgetting something — an assignment, a class, my mother’s birthday.

Julia O’Sullivan ’20

I have a recurring dream that I’ve slept through an alarm when I need to wake up from a nap and be somewhere. Though, now that I think of it, those probably aren’t dreams.

Yeon Chung ’19

No.

Hayley Hoverter ’17

I always have really vivid dreams where I’m falling. And then I wake up and realize I’m not really falling, I’m just trippin’! Ha!

Lauren Budd ’18

I am haunted by recurring dreams about injuring my teeth or having them fall out that are so vivid that I actually feel pain during the dream and wake up and have to convince myself that my teeth are actually still in place. It is horrifying.