Women's lacrosse head coach resigns after inquiry

Women’s lacrosse head coach Amy Patton has resigned her position after an investigation into her conduct.

The inquiry found that she had acted in ways "inconsistent with the standards of Dartmouth athletics," wrote varsity athletics communication director Rick Bender in the press release.

The investigation began last April after a complaint. The inquiry included interviews with Patton, members of the lacrosse team — both former and current — as well as the assistant coaches and other staff in the athletic department.

Megan Sobel, the department's senior associate director, and Catherine Lark, director of college risk and internal control services, led the inquiry.

In Bender’s press release, Patton expressed her disagreement with the investigation’s conduction and conclusion.

“The assistant coaches and I care deeply about our players,” Patton said. “We believe our coaching style has promoted personal growth among the players and produced women who can lead.”

This decision ends Patton’s 26-year coaching career at Dartmouth, 24 of which she spent as head coach. Since accepting the position in 1993, Patton boasts a 248-138 overall record and a 119-44 record in conference play. During her time leading the team, the Big Green won its 11th Ivy League Championship in 2011 and the Ivy League Tournament Championship in 2012. This year, the team ended its season with a 7-8 overall record and a 3-4 Ivy League record for a fifth-place finish in the conference.

She has also coached 47 All-American players as well as a number of players who have gone on to become lacrosse coaches at the collegiate level.

“Dartmouth women’s lacrosse has been a huge part of my life and I will treasure my time in Hanover,” Patton said. “The players, coaches and my colleagues have taught me so much about life, and I want to thank everyone who has been a part of this journey with me.”

The College will immediately start a national search for a new head coach in preparation for next season, wrote Bender.

This article will be updated as more information is reported.