College will not hand out diplomas during Commencement ceremony

The College will not hand out diplomas to graduates this year during the Commencement ceremony. Students will instead be able to pick up their diplomas following the ceremony.

In an email, College spokespersonDiana Lawrence said that the primary reason for the decision not to give out diplomas during the ceremony was the risk of inclement weather and the threat this posed to the diplomas. The College has made similar decisions in the past, including in 2011, she said, though it does not track which years in which itdoes so. She also said that the ceremony would be shortened by about 15 minutes because of the decision, though this was not the primary consideration.

The decision not to hand out diplomas this year was made by the undergraduate dean’s office, the provost’s office and the Committee on Commencement, Lawrence said.

No placeholder or blank diplomas will be handed out instead, she said. Undergraduate students will be able to pick up their diplomas from Baker Main Hall in Baker-Berry library directly after the ceremony, while graduate students will pick up their diplomas at various other locations depending on school affiliation.

At press time, The Weather Channel reported a 20 percent chance of rain for Sunday’s Commencement ceremony.

Commencement will take place on Sunday, June 11 on the Green, regardless of rain. The academic procession will begin at 9 a.m. and the commencement ceremony will begin at 9:30 a.m.