The Weekday Roundup: Week Four

Annie Duncan/The Dartmouth Senior Staff
Annie Duncan/The Dartmouth Senior Staff

Men’s Lacrosse

The hits keep coming for men’s lacrosse, as the University of Massachusetts Lowell (3-11) dealt the Big Green (1-11, 0-4 Ivy) its seventh straight loss on Tuesday. The men are winless in four home games this season.

Dartmouth opened the game with a pair of goals, the first from KC Beard ’16 on an assist by Billy Heidt ’16, and the second an unassisted score from Will Randell ’19. UMass Lowell answered with two goals later in the period to tie the game at 2-2. The River Hawks got the better of Dartmouth during the second quarter, outscoring the Big Green 5-3 and taking a 7-5 lead into halftime. A River Hawks tally at the beginning of the third made it a three-goal game, but goals by Jack Korzelius ’18 at 6 minutes 36 seconds and Wiley Osborne ’17 at 6:26 cut the deficit to one. After twice trading goals, Dartmouth pulled even with UMass Lowell on Richie Loftus ’18’s second goal of the game with 9:06 remaining in the fourth. However, a River Hawks goal one minute later proved to be the difference, as UMass Lowell prevailed 11-10.

Korzelius scored four times for the Big Green, and goalie Joe Balaban ’19 notched six saves while playing a full game. The narrow loss came despite winning the turnover battle by 10 and outshooting UMass Lowell 39-26.

Women’s Lacrosse

The Dartmouth women’s lacrosse lost its first game of the season at home against the University at Albany, State University of New York 9-7 on Monday at Scully-Fahey Field. The Big Green fall to 6-7 and 2-3 in Ivy League play while the Great Danes improve to 9-4 and 4-0 in conference play.

In a close defensive display in the first half, Jaclyn Leto ’16 scored two goals with Kathryn Giroux ’19 adding another but trailed 4-3 at halftime. Albany and the Big Green were evenly matched with both teams trading possession and shots, tallying 10 shots each in the period.

Starting the second half, Leto helped Dartmouth get a 6-5 lead after racking up three more goals. In response, Albany stepped up its pressure and responded with four goals, reclaiming the lead 9-6. With just over two minutes left, Kierra Sweeney ’19 added another goal for the Big Green, but it was too late as the Great Danes won 9-7.

Sarah Martin on Albany tallied four goals to lead her team. Leto moves into fifth all time in goals with 145 and sixth all time in points with 168 at Dartmouth after scoring five goals.

Charlotte Wahle ’19 had two saves in the loss.

Baseball

The Dartmouth baseball team beat Cornell University in its doubleheader on Wednesday 9-3 and 3-1 to tie with Yale University atop the Red Rolfe Division in Ivy League play. Stellar pitching by the Big Green held Cornell to four runs and nine hits in both games combined, while the Big Green offense exploded for 12 runs. Dartmouth improves to 13-20 and 7-5 in Ivy League play while the Big Red fall to 12-16 and 5-7 in Ivy play.

The first game against Cornell was tight until the seventh inning as the Big Green exploded for five runs. Dustin Shirley ’18 hit a two run triple which brought in Ben Socher ’17 and Kyle Holbrook ’18 and extend the Big Green lead. Thomas Roulis ’15 also contributed to the game with two RBIs.

Duncan Robinson ’16, Michael Danielak ’16 and Chris Burkholder ’17 limited the Big Red to three runs and three hits for the Big Green’s 9-3 win.

In the second game, no runs were scored until the Big Green notched two in the fourth inning. Holbrook and Ketchmark batted in runs to take a 2-0 lead in the pitching duel. Dartmouth scored a third run in the sixth to take a 3-0 lead. Cornell managed to score a run in the seventh, but the Big Green was victorious 3-1.

Cole O’Connor ’19, Marc Bachman ’18, Jackson Bubala ’17 and Patrick Peterson ’18 all pitched in the game, contributing to the Big Red’s zero runs and six hits.

The Big Green play Yale at home this weekend in two doubleheaders, Saturday and Sunday.