The Rundown: Week One

Men’s Hockey

The Dartmouth men’s hockey team fell to the No. 1 ranked Quinnipiac University in the ECAC semifinals after edging the No. 7 Yale University Bulldogs in two close quarterfinal games. Quinnipiac had a bye coming into the semifinals.

Dartmouth fell 3-1 to the Bobcats in Lake Placid after three tallies in the first and second period. Quinnipiac was strong and overtook Dartmouth in the semifinals and beat Harvard University 4-1 in the finals to win the ECAC Hockey Championship.

In the quarterfinal series, Yale came in having a bye in the first round of the ECAC tournament, but the Big Green was rearing to go and upset the Bulldogs in New Haven. In the first game against Yale, the Big Green won 4-3 with 2:36 left in overtime thanks to a game-winner from Connor Yau ’19. Nick Bligh ’16 gave Dartmouth the lead two times in the third period, but Yale fought to tie the game at 3-3. Charles Grant ’16 had a career high 48 saves.

The second game in New Haven was a tight contest, but Dartmouth edged out to win the game 2-1 and advance. Grant recorded 46 saves to give the Big Green the win. Grant also won his third ECAC Goaltender of the Week respectively after his performance.

Seniors Jack Barre ’16 and Brett Patterson ’16 helped lead the team, finishing first and tied for second in points for the season, respectively. Barre tallied 12 goals and 14 assists and Patterson scored nine goals and 12 assists. James Kruger ’16 recently signed an Amateur Try Out contract with the South Carolina Stingrays of the East Coast Hockey League. This Big Green team fielded 10 seniors and will look to rebuild next season after this successful campaign.

Men’s Basketball

Dartmouth men’s basketball closed out its season with a disappointing Ivy League record of 4-10 and an overall record of 10-18. In its last two games, the Big Green grabbed a close win versus the University of Pennsylvania and a tough loss to Princeton University. Dartmouth finished sixth in the Ivy League standings.

Evan Boudreaux ’19 was awarded the Ivy League Rookie of the Year and was also awarded the A.D. “Dolly Stark” most valuable player award on Dartmouth’s team. He averaged 17.7 points per game and 9.4 rebounds per game.

Boudreaux and Miles Wright ’18 look to lead this program into next season. The increasingly young team will graduate six seniors at the end of this year.

Athletic Director Harry Sheehy also announced that head coach Paul Cormier will not return to coach next season.

The Ivy League will also add a men’s basketball tournament in 2016-17 with more information to come. The tournament will determine the Ivy League’s representative at the NCAA Division I Basketball Championships.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team finished with a 12-18 overall record and a 7-7 record in Ivy League play. Dartmouth finished fourth in Ivy League, its best finish since 2009. The Big Green had a five game unbeaten run in the Ivy League from Feb. 12 to 26.

Daisy Jordan ’16 and Lakin Roland ’16 led the team with strong play, and both will graduate this season as the only two seniors. Roland led the team in points with 15.1 per game and 7.9 rebounds and also became the 16th Dartmouth player to reach 1,000 points, ending the season with 1,235 points.

Roland was awarded the Gail Koziara ’82 Most Valuable Player award after another fantastic season. In the Ivy League awards, Roland was nominated for the First Team All-Ivy and Kate Letkewicz ’18 received an honorable mention.

Fanni Szabo ’17 and Letkewicz look to lead the Big Green next season. The Ivy League will also add a women’s basketball tournament next year to determine bids to the NCAA Division I Basketball Championship.

Men’s Squash

The Dartmouth men’s squash team had a historic season, finishing the season ranked No. 7 in the country. The Big Green were 10-6 overall and 4-3 in Ivy League play.

This season was one of many firsts for the team as the Big Green beat the Harvard Crimson 5-4 for the first time in nearly 70 years. The Big Green also beat the Princeton University Tigers 8-1 for the team’s first victory over the Tigers in Ivy League history.

The current roster of the squash team is young and can look to build upon this year’s high ranking and Potter Cup qualifying play. Individually, Carson Spahr ’19 was named Ivy League Rookie of the Year and head coach Hansi Wiens was named Ivy League Coach of the Year. Alvin Heumann ’18 was named unanimously to the First Team All-Ivy.

Women’s Squash

Women’s squash was victorious and brought home the Kurtz Cup after a strong performance to end the season. The Kurtz Cup was named for former Dartmouth head coach Aggie Kurtz.

In the Kurtz Cup, Dartmouth was able to defeat the University of Virginia, Williams College and Drexel University to bring the Kurtz Cup back to Dartmouth. Dartmouth last won the cup in 2012.

Four members of the women’s squash team were able to compete in the College Squash Invitational Individual Championship.

The team ended the season with a 8-9 overall record and a 1-6 record in Ivy League play. Dartmouth’s only Ivy League win was against Brown, winning 6-3 in the last game of the season.

The team fielded two seniors, captain Lydie McKenzie ’16 and Tori Dewey ’16, and will look to develop underclassmen to have continued success next season.

Women’s Lacrosse

The Big Green women’s lacrosse started out the season strong with a record of 5-3. Dartmouth beat Granite State rival the University of New Hampshire and captured victories against Boston University, the University of Denver, the University of Massachusetts Lowell and the University of Pennsylvania.

The Big Green also played against ranked opponents such as the University of Florida, Princeton University and the University of South California. Dartmouth’s recent trip out west to Los Angeles led to a win against Denver but a loss against No. 8 USC. Dartmouth opened its Ivy League play against Princeton with an 11-5 loss.

All-Ivy First Team player Jaclyn Leto ’16 leads the team in goals with 32 over eight games. Taryn Deck ’17 leads the team with seven assists and netminder Charlotte Wahle ’19 has recorded 54 saves in eight games.

Head coach Amy Patton was also recently selected to be the first head coach of the United Women’s Lacrosse League’s Boston-based team next season.

Dartmouth this season is a stalwart at home at 4-0 but struggle away at 0-3, with one win coming in neutral territory.

Men’s Lacrosse

Men’s lacrosse opened the season with a 1-6 record and 0-1 in Ivy League play. Big Green lacrosse dropped its season opener against Sacred Heart University 10-8. The Big Green then traveled to Denver to face the Air Force Academy and No. 1 Denver, falling short in both contests. The team picked up its first win of the season versus the University of Michigan 13-12 in its fifth game of the season.

Dartmouth opened its Ivy League play on March 26 versus No. 14 Harvard University and lost 18-8. The Big Green also lost to the New Jersey Institute of Technology 10-7. The Highlanders, in only two years of existence, picked up its first lacrosse win in team history.

Wiley Osborne ’17 leads the Big Green with 16 goals and eight assists while Jack Korzelius ’18 has eight goals and three assists. Fourteen of the 40 Big Green players are freshmen.

Scott Hackett-Dalgliesh and Brian Small join head coach Brendan Callahan as assistants this season.

Baseball

The Big Green baseball team opened its season down in Florida playing in the Snowbird Classic and the Russ Matt Invitational. The Big Green stand at 5-13 currently.

In the Snowbird Classic at the end of February, the Big Green lost to University of Iowa, Villanova University and Indiana State University. Dartmouth also traveled to take on the No. 1 ranked University of Florida Gators and fell in each of the three games.

At the Russ Matt Invitational, Dartmouth claimed its first win of the season against Bucknell University 6-4. Overall, Dartmouth went 3-3 in the invitational with two other wins against Lehigh University and the University of Maine.

Dartmouth then defeated Stetson University 2-1 before losing a pair to North Florida. Over the weekend, the team lost two games to the University of South Florida and picked up one 1-0 win. Currently Joe Purritano ’16 leads the Big Green in hits. Matt Feinstein ’19 and Kyle Holbrook ’18 lead the team in slugging percentage.

Ivy League play starts April 2 versus Princeton University in New Jersey.

Women’s Softball

Two-time reigning Ivy League Champion women’s softball traveled to Alabama, Oklahoma and California over the break to test themselves against the likes of No. 14 the University of Oklahoma and Stanford University among a slew of other non-conference opponents. The Big Green currently are 11-9.

The reigning champs grabbed their first win of the season on Feb. 27 versus the University of South Alabama with a 12-7 win.

The Big Green lost a pair of games against No. 14 Oklahoma 9-0 and 7-0. While in California, the team strung together seven wins in a row against Iona College twice, Santa Clara University, University of Pacific twice, California State University Bakersfield and Stanford, outscoring opponents 38-14 before a loss at the University of California Davis this past Saturday 6-1. Yesterday, the team won its second game against UC Davis 2-0.

Katie McEachern ’16 and Morgan Martinelli ’19 lead the team with slugging percentages over .570. McEachern has hit four home runs so far.

Ivy League play starts April 1 against Princeton University.

Sailing

Dartmouth sailors made what they could of pulsing and fickle breezes at Brown University’s Sharpe Team Race, placing second out of 10 schools competing. The Big Green went 7-2 in its round one races, falling only to the host school and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The 7-2 record was enough to make the final four, where the Big Green squared off against Brown University, MIT and Tufts University. Good 1-2-3 finishes over both MIT and Tufts boded well for the Big Green sailors.

However, a disqualification in the final race led to a Brown victory, and Dartmouth settled for second place behind the Bears.

Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving

Three divers represented the Big Green at the NCAA Zone A Diving Regionals on March 7 and 8. Two of Dartmouth’s three divers were freshmen: AJ Krok ’19 and Allison Green ’19. Krok and Green could not escape the prelims, taking 26th and 43rd respectively in the men’s and women’s 3-meter event along with 34th and 41st on the 1-meter board. Brett Gillis ’16 competed at Zones for the fourth time ­— the final meet of his career. His 25th place in the 1-meter event was not enough to make the finals. However, his 18th place showing in preliminaries was enough to edge into the finals on the 3-meter board. One of just two Ivy League divers in the final, Gillis moved up a spot to repeat his 17th overall finish from last season.

Women’s Track and Field

Kaitlin Whitehorn ’16, ranked 12th nationally in the high jump, soared to a seventh place finish on March 12 at the 2016 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship. Whitehorn’s jump of 1.81 meters made her a First-Team All-American.

March marked the beginning of the outdoor season for women’s track and field. The team traveled to South Carolina for the non-scoring Shamrock Invitational from March 17 to March 19. Standout performances included Jennifer Meech ’16’s fifth place finish in the seeded 400-meter dash and Maria Garman ’19’s seventh place finish in the women heptathlon. The women traveled north to Raleigh, North Carolina the next weekend for the non-scoring Raleigh Relays, where Meech and Whitehorn each took third in their events.

Men’s Track and Field

After a third-place showing at the Heptagonal Championship in February, men’s track and field opened the outdoor season in fine form at two non-scoring meets. At Coastal Carolina University’s Shamrock Invitational on the weekend of March 17, Ben Ose ’19 shined and won the decathlon. Other highlights included Corey Muggler ’17’s fourth place in the seeded long jump and first place in the 200-meter. The team then participated in the Raleigh Relays, hosted by North Carolina State University. In the 110-meter hurdles, Parker Johnson ’19 blazed to fifth overall in Friday’s prelims and placed sixth in the finals the following day. Dartmouth also performed well on the field with top-10 showings in the discus, pole vault (invitational), hammer and javelin.

Women’s Tennis

Dartmouth women’s tennis played three unranked California opponents over a four-day span March 19 to 22. The now 46-ranked women opened their road slate with a 4-3 win at San Diego State University. The next day, the Big Green bowled over University of California, Irvine 6-1, including three wins in straight sets. The game marked the 400th win for Big Green coach Bob Dallis. However, the trip was marred by a 5-2 loss at the hands of California State University, Long Beach and the 49ers’ No. 60 singles player, Maeva Razakasoa. The loss snapped the Big Green’s seven game winning streak. Back home at the Boss Tennis Center on March 26, the women rebounded to down the University of Houston 6-1.

Men’s Tennis

The Big Green men’s tennis team took a spring break swing through the south, playing five games between March 17 and March 24. The then No. 35 Big Green blanked unranked Midwestern State University 7-0 to begin the trip but followed the win with a tight 4-3 loss to No. 44 Southern Methodist University. Subsequently, Dartmouth slipped to No. 42 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Rankings. The men fell again 4-0 to No. 3 Texas Christian University and 4-3 to No. 27 University of Tulsa before ending the trip on a high note, with a 4-0 defeat of No. 33 University of Memphis.

Women’s Golf

This weekend marked the first tournament of spring play for women’s golf. The women teed off Friday at the Bearcat Spring Classic, hosted by the University of Cincinnati at Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida. After three rounds, the Big Green was led by Jessica Kittelberger ’18, who shot 243 (+27). Kittelberger was closely followed by teammates Radi Sauro ’18 (244, +28), Julia Calbi ’19 (245, +29) and Isabelle Kane ’18 (246, +30). Dartmouth placed 11th overall.

Men’s Golf

Men’s golf took to the links for the first time since October at the 19-team Furman Intercollegiate, hosted at the par-72 Furman University Golf Course in Greenville, South Carolina. The first round saw the Big Green in sixth place with 290 (+2), six shots off the lead of Ivy League rival Harvard University. Jeff Lang ’17 paced the Big Green, birdieing two holes and eagling second hole for a first-day score of 70 (-2). Dartmouth bettered its first-round total by eight shots on the second day for a combined score of 572 (-4) and ended the day in sixth place. At the conclusion of the Furman Intercollegiate, the Big Green found themselves tied for 11th place, shooting 872 (+6).

Women’s Rugby

The Big Green traveled to California to take on three opponents: the San Diego Surfers, Stanford University and the Berkeley All Blues. Dartmouth won all three games, played with rolling subs to help develop players on both sides.

Dartmouth defeated the Surfers and the All Blues, senior women’s club sides in California, 27-15 and 40-15, respectively. The Big Green battled with Stanford to eventually win 29-22 but played defense for most of the game. All of the games were played in a scrimmage format.