Women’s hockey concludes season with two, tight 1-0 losses

The women’s hockey team fell 1-0 to both Cornell University and Colgate University on the road this weekend to finish the 2015-2016 season with a 6-19-3 overall record, 6-13-3 record in ECAC play.

Head coach Mark Hudak noted the team played well defensively, with both goalies, Robyn Chemago ’17 and Christie Honor ’19, turning in strong performances.

“We created a lot of good things in terms of opportunity and we just could not finish,” Hudak said. “It has been a part of the story of the season.”

On Friday night, the Big Green faced Cornell for the second time this season after the Big Green’s 5-3 loss on Jan. 9, though the match was much closer this time around.

In the early stages of the first period, both Dartmouth and Cornell tested the netminders with a flurry of shots. Chemago made a few quick saves to deny the Big Red offense, but a shot on a shorthanded breakaway by Kaitlin Doering passed Chemago into the net at 11:22 to give the Big Red a 1-0 lead. Just a few seconds later, a Cornell player scored a goal which was waived off to keep the score knotted at 1-0.

Towards the end of the period, Eleni Tebano ’17 had a clear chance to even the scoring, but netminder Paula Voorheis slid to save the attempt. Dartmouth outshot Cornell 14-12 in the first period.

In the second period, the Big Green managed to take 9 shots but was unable to find the back of the net. Cornell came close with Hanna Bunton hitting the right post, but the Green defenders cleared the puck.

In the third period, Dartmouth had control of the puck, but Cornell’s defense kept Dartmouth off the board finishing the game at 1-0.

Kennedy Ottenbreit ’17 had 6 shots, while Laura Stacey ’16 had 4. Chemago had 30 saves to Voorheis’ 28. In terms of face-offs, Dartmouth won 34 of 61.

The Big Red outshot the Big Green 31-28 and kept Cornell 0-4 on the power play while also not capitalizing on any of their own three player advantages.

In another tight contest, Dartmouth ended the season on Saturday night with a 1-0 loss to Colgate.

“We just couldn’t put the puck in the net versus Cornell and Colgate, and it seemed to be one of the setbacks of our season, not scoring enough,” Ottenbreit said. “We would make opportunities and battle so hard but somehow just couldn’t score.”

The Big Green were just unable to find the back of the net, taking 32 shots on goal to Colgate’s 35, in the first and second period. Dartmouth came close when Lindsey Allen ’16 was at the top of the right circle and hit a slap shot which hit the pipe. Kate Landers ’19 was close to the rebound and took a few rebound shots, but netminder Ashlynne Rando was able to get ahold of the puck.

Allen and Stacey came close on a number of opportunities could not sink the puck. In the third period, the Big Green were two players down but was able to cope with Colgate’s power play. A few minutes later, Colgate managed to get on the board when Bailey Larson took a shot and Breanne Wilson-Bennett scored from close range on the rebound to give Colgate the 1-0 lead.

Colgate had another chance with a few minutes remaining in the third period with Honor coming up with a big save to deny Shelby Perry a breakaway goal after going past the defense.

In net, Honor started her third game, stopping 34 shots.

“Christie had a really good game and she started a couple games earlier in the season to get her confidence up,” Hudak said. “It was a little shaky at the beginning and in the past couple of weeks, but she has been competing well in practice and has been doing well. She did a great job and it helps her confidence.”

Reflecting on the season, Allen said that despite unfavorable outcomes, she never lost belief in her team.

“The season didn’t go how we had planned, but we stuck together and played as a team,”Allen said. “There was never a time when we didn’t believe in one another or didn’t believe we could do it. Unfortunately, we weren’t as successful as we had hoped, but I can’t speak highly enough of my class, this team, and Dartmouth women’s ice hockey.”

Hudak said the leadership of the seniors helped keep the team together and working hard.

“This class has been really impactful, and they are certainly disappointed with the outcome on the ice this year,” Hudak said. “Given the year we had, without their leadership, we could have fallen apart.”

Hudak announced his retirement on Monday after serving as the head coach for 13 years of his 18 with the program.