College announces details of "Moving Dartmouth Forward" residential communities

by The Dartmouth Senior Staff | 11/2/15 1:08pm

Six new residential communities based in current residence halls will begin housing students next fall, the College announced in a press release on Monday. Students graduating later than June 2016 will be randomly assigned into one of the communities in February and will have the chance to request up to five students they would like to be in their house next month. Members of the Class of 2020 will be assigned houses next July when they are given room assignments.

The creation of residential communities was announced as part of College President Phil Hanlon’s “Moving Dartmouth Forward” policy initiative on Jan. 29 of this year. A student advisory committee was formed after the announcement and three working groups of students, staff and house professors were created this fall to contribute to certain aspects of the residential community plan.

Dean of the College Rebecca Biron, who has been overseeing the plans for residential communities, saidthat all students will be assigned a community though they may live in alternate housing options, such as LLCs, off campus options, affinity houses and Greek houses.Where a studentlives any given term is not the same as theirhouse membership, Biron said.

While former interim Dean of the College Inge-Lise Ameer told The Dartmouth in January that the system would begin with the Class of 2019 and current '16s,'17s and'18s could be given the choice to opt-in to a community if they would like, Biron said she was unaware of any announcements that the community system would not include all students on campus next year.

Students will not be able to change which house community they are in after random assignments, Biron said.

"Everybody's membership is permanent, it's lifelong, and we hope that people will build those ties and keep them post-graduation," she said.