Wes Schaub departs as GLOS director

Greek Letter Organizations and Societies director Wes Schaub left his position last Friday after more than four years in the post, associate dean for student life Eric Ramsey wrote in an email to Greek leadership.

Schaub — who could not be reached for comment by press time — had served as GLOS director since July 2011. During his time at the College, Schaub developed close working relationships with students while collaborating with them on projects such as honors societies associated with Greek organizations, Order of Omega honor society president Jessica Goldstein ’16 said.

Schaub stepped down following the end of the Panhellenic Council recruitment process last week, Ramsey wrote in his email.

Ramsey will be will serve as GLOS interim director until Schaub’s replacement is found, Ramsey said in an interview. Ramsey will also chair the search committee for Schaub’s replacement.

“We are going to look over the next several weeks in consultation with the presidents of organizations and council leaders to draft a job description for what we’d like to have in the replacement for the position,” Ramsey said.

Ramsey said that the search process will follow a similar timeline to other administrative posts. A replacement will likely be appointed in the spring, he said.

Ideally, the new director will have the necessary skills to work with students, Greek house advisors and staff and will have experience with other Greek systems, Ramsey said.

“While [Schaub’s] departure is difficult for us to manage, one of the things I’m very confident about is the talented staff we have in Greek life and a lot of people who care about the Greek community who will help us get through this time of transition,” Ramsey said.

Schaub’s work with students was a defining quality of his tenure in his post, Goldstein said.

“He was very vibrant and always seemed very excited about Greek life and his work in general. He was always very easy to meet with, he would always make time for office hours with students,” she said.

Phi Tau gender-inclusive fraternity president Justin Halloran ’16 reiterated Schaub’s availability to students.

“Wes Schaub has been nothing but helpful while I was president,” he said. “I’m definitely sad to see him go, but I wish him all the best.”

During Schaub’s tenure, major scandals, reforms and changes occurred within the Greek system. He presided over serious disciplinary actions against Alpha Delta fraternity — which was derecognized in the spring — and oversaw the College’s reactions to various hazing allegations, including the 2012 controversy involving Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Schaub’s tenure also saw Panhell gain equal representation on the Greek Leadership Council, major reforms to Panhell recruitment and the abolition of pledge term.

“During his time here, [Schaub] worked really hard to elevate expectations of the Greek community, tackled difficult issues like hazing and worked hard to help students, through pre-recruitment programs, understand Greek life and their memberships in it,” Ramsey said. “There’s many, many at Dartmouth who care about the Greek community, including myself, and we’re here to support the students as we search for a new director who will take Greek life to even better places.”

Members of the GLOS staff did not respond to requests for comments by press time. Leaders of the Interfraternity Council, Panhell and GLC did not respond to requests seeking comment.