CHaD participants raise $700,000 for Children’s Hospital at DHMC

CHAD 5km Marathon
CHAD 5km Marathon

Not every runner wore a cape at the superhero-themed Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth Hitchcock’s Hero event Sunday, but participants raised over $700,000 for pediatric care at a series of races and events throughout the day, CHaD community relations assistant Hilary Hubbard said.

The money raised from the CHaD Hero will go toward equipment, programs and services that will aid patients at the hospital.

In last year’s race, 3,500 individuals raised more than $697,000. Though exact participation statistics for the race have yet to be finalized, Hubbard said, she thinks that there was higher participation this year than last year. Hubbard attributed this rise in participation to greater involvement of both Greek houses and Dartmouth student athletes.

This year’s event encompassed a half marathon, a 5K run and walk, a one mile “fun run for kids” and a recently added a 10K wooded hike. Vendors, inflatables and live music also contributed to Sunday’s activities.

Many Greek organizations involve themselves with the CHaD Hero through the College’s Philanthropic All American Rush program. PAAR encourages Greek participation in charitable events by promoting competition between different Greek houses over which raises the most money. CHaD received all funds raised by PAAR.

While PAAR has only existed for four years, it has worked with CHaD for three, Positive Tracks coordinator for CHaD Liz Gray said.

Greek involvement has significantly contributed to the money raised for the hospital, and ongoing Greek events through PAAR continue to raise money even after Sunday’s event, Hubbard said.

“There are a lot of Greek fundraising events still going on on campus, like [Alpha Phi Sorority’s] Cupcake Wars, that will play a role in how much total has been raised by the Greek system,” Hubbard said.

Hubbard also noted that the participation of Greek houses increased from last year. This contributed to the overall rise in participants in the CHaD Hero event.

“We had 15 Greek houses participate, and we had quite a few Greek volunteers from those houses, as well as runners,” Hubbard said. “We had more Greek teams than last year.”

Joshua Ufland ’18, who ran the half marathon, said that the CHaD Hero offered an opportunity for exercise, as well as a chance to support the local hospital.

“It was something I could do to keep in shape,” Ufland said. “It was motivation to stay on my feet, and it was for a great cause.”

Ufland is a member of Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity, which had several of its members participate in the CHaD Hero events.

Ali Dyer ’16, who has raced in this event for the past three years with Alpha Phi sorority, stated that the CHaD Hero allowed her to connect with both the Dartmouth and local New Hampshire community.

“It’s a really great way to get to know your peers and bond and then train,” Dyer said. “It’s really nice to see your training pay off, as well as obviously supporting the hospital. I think it’s good for Dartmouth to support more of the Upper Valley community, and this is one of the events that does that.”

Ethan Isaacson ’18, who also raced in the event through Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity, commented on the value of participating in a charity race. Isaacson said that the race was more meaningful than a traditional race with the Dartmouth Endurance Racing Team, of which he is a member.

“I’ve run a lot of races, but they’re just races,” Isaacson said. “I thought it was really cool having the energy and the purpose of this event. They raised a ton of money, and it’s really cool to see the other perspectives that people bring to it.”