Center for Career Development hosts career fair, formal corporate recruiting

With many members of the Class of 2016 searching for full-time jobs, the Center for Professional Development is aiding the search with its yearly formal recruiting process, a career fair and advising events to help students. Following positive responses from students last year, the career fair again featured a “service and education” room and a “startup and tech” room.

The first round of deadlines for the recruiting program was Sept. 27, and first round interviews will begin this Wednesday. The second round deadline is Oct. 12.

The career fair, hosted on Sept. 20 and Sept. 21, presented students with the opportunity to interact with 134 employers and begin the initial stages of the job-search process.

The CPD opened the event to all undergraduate and graduate students, but the majority of attendees were members of the Classes of 2016 and 2017, CPD senior associate director Monica Wilson said.

Over the course of both days, a total of 1,412 students attended the fair -— though only 368 attended both days, Wilson said. This was a slight decrease from last year, when 1,489 students attended the fair. In 2013, 1,306 students attended the event.

Wilson said the schedule of the event may explain the decline in attendance. The CPD organized the fair from noon to 4 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday, making it challenging for students with afternoon classes to attend.

“Part of the problem was the class schedule on Wednesday, because we did have more students on Tuesday. I also think there was a sense that the alumni hall was pretty crowded [on the first day] and that might have deterred people from coming the second day,” Wilson said.

Wilson attributed the rise in attendance since 2013 to some changes made in the structure of the fair. When the CPD introduced a “service and education” room, as well as a “startup and tech” room in 2014, they received positive feedback, which prompted the continuation of those programs this year.

“These were set up in response to student requests for more variety in employers,” Wilson said. “They were a big hit, so we decided to do it again.”

Welson emphasized that employers at this event sought to inform students of potential jobs rather than outright recruit them.

“It’s not a job fair where you submit a resume,” Wilson said. “It’s an opportunity for students to meet employers and learn more about what they do, what kind of opportunities they have and when they’re recruiting for.”

David Bassali ’16, who attended the fair, felt that the best function of the event was its ability to provide information.

“The event was used as a resource to answer questions,” Bassali said. “I don’t think it has a bearing on your job eligibility or your position. Its utility is derived if you have questions on the companies.”

Other students have found these connections to be valuable.

Abby Stevenson ’16 said the Employer’s Connection Fair gave her the chance to see what it would actually be like to work for certain companies. The personal interactions offered the opportunity to understand the dynamics of potential jobs, she added.

“It was good to be able to talk to the employers,” Stevenson said. “I was able to get a sense of their companies and what the culture of those companies is like.”

Stevenson also noted that the fair helped her organize her priorities.

“That helped me figure out before the deadlines which jobs I wanted to focus on so I could spend more time on those cover letters,” Stevenson said. “They’re definitely there as a resource if you’re somebody who wants to take them up on that.”

Although the fair is not a direct form of recruitment, Matthew Ginsberg ’16, another fair attendee, said that the fair may have accelerated his recruitment prospects.

“It’s cool to meet employers who are thinking about whether they want to give you an interview on campus, so the career fair lets you solidify your views on these firms and a good conversation with these firms may increase your chances,” he said.

Ginsberg also highlighted issues with the timing of the fall recruitment activities.

“The career fair is within a week of when you send in job applications,” Ginsberg said. “The timing isn’t the greatest because you need to get in your applications before then anyway.”

CPD will continue to hold recruiting events throughout fall term.