Two academic clusters each receive $10 million gifts

The health care delivery sciences and globalization academic clusters have each received $10 million gifts, bringing the total number of endowed clusters to four of the 10 the College hopes to endow by the end of 2015.

The College announced today that the first gift, committed by Richard "Dick" Levy '60, will support a faculty team in health care delivery science in determining ways to cut costs while maintaining a high quality of care and access. The second gift, from an anonymous alumnus, will create a faculty team focused on globalization and promoting humanitarian efforts in societies around the world.

These gifts contribute to College President Phil Hanlon's academic cluster initiative announced earlier this year as part of the "Moving Dartmouth Forward" policy initiative. The campaign works to recruit top scholars to the College to teach and conduct research in interdisciplinary teams focused on major global challenges, he said in his speech.

In 2014, an anonymous donor gave the College a $100 million gift, of which half will be put toward the creation of these clusters. As a result, the new gifts will be matched with a further $5 million investment from the previous gift.

The other clusters that have received donations are the William H. Neukom academic cluster in computational science, which received a $10 million donation from Bill Neukom '64 in late April, and the Jack Byrne academic cluster in decision science, which received a $20 million donation last week from the late Byrne's wife, Dorothy Byrne, in his honor.